Thread: Flea Powder

Thanks

Default Flea Powder

Ok guys im about to have to do something with a slight flea problem. I have a persian cat and i noticed she had some fleas so I took her to the vet and she reccommend I powder/spray my carpet and give her a flea bathe... so ive done gave her one flea bathe and im about to powder my room.

Here is my question:
    Should I move my reptiles in a different room(in this case my one room apt would mean moving them to the bathroom for a night) or has any of you guys had experience similar to this and it shouldnt hurt the reptiles as long as the powder isnt in there cage..etc.... id probably feel safer movigin them and that is more than likely what ill do but even in a different room , when i move them back the day after, after vaccuming up the powder is there a chance of them being harmed by it? Thanks any advice or info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I would definitely move them for he night but I don't know about residual effects. I would guess as long as you vacuumed it up thoroughly you'd be OK, but I don't know that for a fact....... Good luck.
    "Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight;
    You gotta kick at the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight....."
    --Bare Naked Ladies

Thanks

Well, as long as your reptiles don't inhale/get the powder in their cages you shouls be fine, but to be safe, move em out.
    -Chao0104-
    0.0.2 Rhacodactylus cilatus
    If life gives you oranges, make orange juice.If life gives you money, buy a crested gecko.

Thanks

We've recently gone through this ourselves and we re-located our Lizards for a few hours whilst the spray did the business and our Lizards have suffered no ill effects from any residual spray.

Best of Luck with the Fleas

Ben

Thanks

Fleas can be really tough to deal with. Once you have them, it's hard to get rid of them.
    You do have to be careful especially since you have a Persian. They tend to be more sensative to flea products than other cats.
    Personally I would recommend going with the spray over the powder. It usually does a better job and can get into the nooks and crannies that the prowder can't always reach. A lot of sprays (the good ones anyways) also contain growth-regulators that will keep and flea eggs that are already in the environment from hatching out. This will keep you from having to retreat as soon as just the powder.

The flea can be killed in the adult stage and the eggs can be kept from hatching, but any fleas that you have in your home that are in the pupae stage are unaffected by any flea product they have on the market today. Theyre pretty resilient. Expect to have to re-spray the house and also re-bathe your cat in a month or so.

The powder is only good on the adults and does not have any lasting effect once you vacuum it up.
    As far as products to use on your cat, the spot-on flea products such as Advantage or Frontline work very well and are extremely effective and you don't have to wash your cat. As I said earlier, some Persians can be sensative to these products, so try to stick to the ones you can get thru your veterinarian and not the ones you can just buy at the store. The ones you get at the vet are a bit more expensive, but are 100 % guaranteed and usually safer.
    Stay away from Hartz and One Spot. I have seen more than a few cats come thru the vet office where I work with reactions to these flea products.

Hope this helps
    Good Luck!
    Nell Rux
    a.k.a. Frozen Gecko
    Just Ice Reptile

Thanks

Oh yeah, and about the spray. I would recommend removing your geckos from the house for the day when you spray and then give it a few hours. It should be safe to bring them back in after that.
    Nell Rux
    a.k.a. Frozen Gecko
    Just Ice Reptile