Thread: Allergy question.

Thanks

Default Allergy question.

I've been thinking about getting a tarantula, but my dad is concerned that my severe allergy to bee and wasp stings would extend to a spider, if it happened to bite/flick hairs. Is this likely? Are some tarantula species more likely to flick hairs than others?
    2.5.1 leopard geckos, 1.1 bearded dragons, 1.1 crested geckos, 0.1 Madagascar day gecko, 1.1 tokays, 1.0 cave racer, 1.1 corn snakes, 1.1 northern pine snakes, 1.0 royal python, 1.1 Everglades rat snakes, 1.0 gargoyle gecko.

https://www.facebook.com/SwampysReptiles

Thanks

If you have an allergy to bee stings you MAY have more of a reaction to tarantulas. Most everyone will itch from the hairs. Any Tarantula from the Brachypelma family will be a BIG flicker. I am going to suggest if you do decide to get one go with any of the following: Paraphysa scrofa, Paraphysa parvula, Eupalaestrus campestratus, and if my memory serves me right any of the Avicularia species would be OK. I hope this doesn't go against forum rules, but here's an amazing Tarantula Forum. (I miss my Tarantulas )

http://www.tarantulasus.com/content.php
    ~JEN~
    0.0.1 Rachodactylus Auriculatus "Gilligan"
    1.0.0 Very Spoiled Guinea Pig

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FaaFaa View Post
    If you have an allergy to bee stings you MAY have more of a reaction to tarantulas. Most everyone will itch from the hairs. Any Tarantula from the Brachypelma family will be a BIG flicker. I am going to suggest if you do decide to get one go with any of the following: Paraphysa scrofa, Paraphysa parvula, Eupalaestrus campestratus, and if my memory serves me right any of the Avicularia species would be OK. I hope this doesn't go against forum rules, but here's an amazing Tarantula Forum. (I miss my Tarantulas )

http://www.tarantulasus.com/content.php
    Agree with Avicularia for sure. They do have uricating hairs but can not flick them. They only push them into you but it is very rare. They also rarely bite.

Do not go with an "Old World" tarantula because they will bite as their first defense (and often do!)

Rose hair tarantulas are what most people recommend but I disagree. They do flick hairs and can be very unpredictable in terms of temperment.

I have a "dwarf chili flame" tarantula and she is the most docile spider I've ever seen. Never flicks or gets defensive.

And if you're still worried, No one has ever died from a tarantula bite.
    0.2.2 Crested geckos- Nox, Vesper, Ghidorah, Pitaya
    2.0 Gargoyle geckos- Ridley and Serris
    1.0 Rosy boa- Mojave
    1.0 Leachianus- Helios
    0.0.1 Japanese Toad- Fushigibana
    A ton of bugs

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Soli For This Useful Post:

FaaFaa (10-11-2013)

Thanks

I 2nd the fact that a Rosie is NOT a beginner Tarantula!
    ~JEN~
    0.0.1 Rachodactylus Auriculatus "Gilligan"
    1.0.0 Very Spoiled Guinea Pig