Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hasn't shed and still can't stick? Been a week?

Thanks

Default Hasn't shed and still can't stick? Been a week?

When I first got Sita he stuck fine. But since the first time I gave him a "bath" to remove some dried shed from his foot he hasn't been able to stick enough to climb anything... He can't climb the glass... The leaves... Not even stick to my hand. I'm certain I didn't burn him that first time because the water was still a bit cool to my touch. I recently asked about the issue last week I believe and was told to just wait a few days and see what happens. Well it's been a few days and nothing has changed and now I'm worried... He can't even get to his food ledge.

Should I put him in the Kritter keeper for awhile to monitor him better with the food and water on the ground? Idk maybe I'm just overly worried?

Thanks

Well since no one answered before I went to bed I went ahead and put him in the critter keeper. I fed him crickets dusted in cal. With d3 and some kind of... Rolled around in his gcd so they got a coating of that too. 4 crickets which he gobled up quite fast. He'll be in the keeper until I can figure out what's going in with his stickiness.

Thanks

What kind of substrate are you keeping him on?
    ~JEN~
    0.0.1 Rachodactylus Auriculatus "Gilligan"
    1.0.0 Very Spoiled Guinea Pig

Thanks

It maybe stuck shed which will be hard to remvoe now since it has been awhile. My gecko wasn't sticking either for a while, but eventually he just started sticking again. He may be beginning to shed again, but I am not sure since you said it's been a couple weeks. I would just add more moisture than usual and see what happens.

Thanks

I keep him on hydro balls/coco husk. It's what he's been on since I brought him home. I never fed him in the ground though and when I got crickets I put him in the critter keeper.

Currently he's in the critter keeper
    With a napkin (I don't have paper towels) on the floor and fake plants.

I thought it would be stuck shed... But since he first had trouble sticking I've given him 3 soaks and used a tips to clean his feet really well. It doesn't "look" like
    There is any stuck shed on his feet. His toes splay out normally and all that jazz.

Thanks

There still could be a little shed stuck in there. Keep him in the KK for a bit maybe he needs a little more time. How is his activity level besides that? Is he eating the CGD?
    ~JEN~
    0.0.1 Rachodactylus Auriculatus "Gilligan"
    1.0.0 Very Spoiled Guinea Pig

Thanks

He well since he hasn't been able to climb anything he's just kind of waddled around on the ground. Since I put him in the CK hell climb through the bundle of leaves and stuff. When I would pick him up and place him on the wood back in his cage and went to bed I could see him climbing up the plants and stuff (I have a night lamp to keep the heat up). So he seems active. He has been eating the gcd. Certainly not enough to easily tell he has been but I find poops so I'd imagine he's eating fine. I'm almost out of the small bottle though that I got from petsmart so when I get close to emptying it I might order some Pangea since I've heard great things about it around the forum and how there's clean bowls heh. The cheap crap I but is all the pet store has and it goes all dark and bleh looking after just a day... Then after a day in the cage it congeales and doesn't retain his milkshake-like texture. I end up making a fresh small scoop every day Cus it just looks gross. If I wouldn't eat it why would I feed it to my pets? Yeah... But it was what they fed him at the store so I didn't want to change things too rapidly for him.

-ramble ramble-

Thanks

What is your humidity like? Too much humidity (just like too little humidity) can cause problems sticking. With the substrate you mentioned and the frequency of baths, my concern would be too high of humidity.

What type of enclosure did you keep him in before? Glass? Sterilite?

Thanks

The humidity goes from 90 to about mid 40s. I mist around 10pm before I go to bed. I leave the night lamp on Cus it gets just a bit too cold in the tank for plants and Sita so I give it a light mist in the morning which gets it to about 70. Up from about mid 60s. He's naturally in a glass tank. One of the exo terra ones with coco husk/ hydro balls and real plants and a priece of wood.

The humidity cycle is pretty constant Cus I have it down now and with a digital meter rather than a dial it's much more accurate. Should I mist just at night and let it sit in the mid 60s in the morning and dry out to the 40s over the day and see if that helps?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 799 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mechanical8Dragon View Post
    He has been eating the gcd. Certainly not enough to easily tell he has been but I find poops so I'd imagine he's eating fine. I'm almost out of the small bottle though that I got from petsmart so when I get close to emptying it I might order some Pangea since I've heard great things about it around the forum and how there's clean bowls heh. The cheap crap I but is all the pet store has and it goes all dark and bleh looking after just a day... Then after a day in the cage it congeales and doesn't retain his milkshake-like texture. I end up making a fresh small scoop every day Cus it just looks gross. If I wouldn't eat it why would I feed it to my pets? Yeah... But it was what they fed him at the store so I didn't want to change things too rapidly for him.
    What is the brand of food? Some are much worse than others. A poor diet that's not balanced and providing enough vitamins, such as vitamin A, can cause issues with skin & shedding. I wouldn't be surprised if he's been eating something like that it could be causing him to not be "sticky". However, a lot of geckos go through phases of not being "sticky" especially when young. It almost never lasts, unless there's a nutritional disorder going on.

Good luck!
    Specializing in Crested Geckos
    Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
    Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
    Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook