Thread: Sticker Situation

Thanks

Default Sticker Situation

Ok, I hesitated to ask because it sounds so dumb but here goes. I use fake plants in my crested tanks. I pulled off all the labels, or so I thought. One of my girls managed to get a sticker stuck to her belly. It was stuck tight, there was no pulling it off. I soaked her in some tepid water and the shiny outer part came off but not the sticky part. I have soaked her now 3 times and nothing more is coming off. I have increased the humidity in her tank also. It is not sticky to the touch, she is eating and pooping and climbing fine. I figure my options are:

1. Keep soaking daily till it comes off
    2. Use a solvent like Goo Gone but that sounds very dangerous
    3. Do nothing and it will come off with her next shed

What do you guys think?
    Suzanne
    8.12.10 Crested Gecko
    0.2 Gargoyle Gecko
    1.0 Bearded Dragon
    1.1 cats
    1.1 dogs
    1.2 humans, subadults
    1.0 husband with 30+snakes

Thanks

i am an expert with Bats getting caught in stupid glue traps. do not use Goo gone. instead get mineral oil, and use a q-tip and soak the label on the outside of it. put gecko in a plactic container with nothing in it but air holes. come back in a few minutes and try to use a q-tip or a toothpick to get under the edge but be careful. once you get one edge up, use a q-tip to keep pushing the oil under the sticker. does that make sense? eventually it will come off.
    ANYTHING SAID HERE BY ME IS JUST MY OPINION, PLEASE DON'T TAKE IT PERSONALLY.

2.3.0 crested gex
    1.0.0 appaloosa horse
    1.1.0 jack Russells
    1. husband

Thanks

Colleen is right. Mineral oil will work. If you don't have that, peanut butter will suffice to loosen the adhesive...
    ~Alan

"You know, one of the hardest parts of my job is to connect Iraq to the war on terror."
    President Geo. W Bush in an interview with CBS News, Washington D.C., Sept. 6, 2006

Thanks

Thirding mineral oil. Leaving it on may be a bad idea - when it comes off in shed, it might be consumed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
    when it comes off in shed, it might be consumed.
    Oh-I didn't think of that. I'll get it off asap. Thanks for all your responses. I would have been too worried about the chemical hurting her.
    Suzanne
    8.12.10 Crested Gecko
    0.2 Gargoyle Gecko
    1.0 Bearded Dragon
    1.1 cats
    1.1 dogs
    1.2 humans, subadults

Thanks

take your time, or you can rip the skin. keep mineral oil around in case of this type of thing.

i used to rehab bats and so many times they would get caught in a glue trap- which are inhumane and should be banned, as any animal dies a slow and painful death. i even saw a kitten get caught in one in a barn. they got it all off, but the kitten ended up dying. i think it was stuck for too long. so sad.

2.3.0 crested gex
    1.0.0 appaloosa horse
    1.1.0 jack Russells
    1. husband

Thanks

so how did it go?

2.3.0 crested gex
    1.0.0 appaloosa horse
    1.1.0 jack Russells
    1. husband

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Alan View Post
    Colleen is right. Mineral oil will work. If you don't have that, peanut butter will suffice to loosen the adhesive...
    Peanut butter? Now that's something I'd never think of.... is it because of the peanut oil?

Thanks

Well, it didn't go as planned but she seems ok. I got home after talking to you guys, mineral oil in hand. I pulled her out of the tank and there was no sticker. I was holding a freshly shed green tiger. Crap! I looked around the tank and no signs of the sticker, I can only assume that she ate it with the shed. The booger showed no signs of shed at all. I had soaked her and rubbed off as much as I could prior to posting so there really wasn't that much left. Anyway, I am watching her closely and she seems ok. As a matter of fact, when I peeked at her this morning, she was sitting in the nest box with one egg under her. I quickly closed the lid and moved on. I think she will be ok. I will be prepared if it happens again. (which it won't cuz now I'm like the sticker nazi!) Thanks again for all your help.
    Suzanne
    8.12.10 Crested Gecko
    0.2 Gargoyle Gecko
    1.0 Bearded Dragon
    1.1 cats
    1.1 dogs
    1.2 humans, subadults

Thanks

Next time (hope it doenst happen soon again though ) you could try "shed aid" i think its from zoo-med. I once had the problem with one of my snakes.

regards

Ingo
    4,14,x Rhacodactylus ciliatus
    1,1 Rhacodactylus leachianus leachianus Friedl Line
    1,1,1 Rhacodactylus leachianus henkeli Nuu Ana
    1,0 Rhacodactylus cf leachianus
    0,0,3 Rhacodactylus trachyrhynchus trachyrhynchus
    and some other herps ...

greetings from austria
    ingo
    www.napalm.at