Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pangea Fruit Mix - Complete Formula

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 799 Posts

This is great! I'm a huge nerd for reptile nutrition stuff... I'm glad there's now a good diet using whole egg and dairy to get a fuller profile of amino acids. I worry about the lack of methionine and arginine in some diets that don't supplement. And paying attention to phytochemicals. I think that makes a lot of sense. I like the choice of watermelon and coconut milk. I bet it smells like the beach!

Thanks for giving us another option!
    Specializing in Crested Geckos
    Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
    Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
    Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Thanks

I'm so excited to see PFM as a complete diet! And really happy to see that it doesn't contain menadione sodium bisulfite complex! I know, I know, I keep mentioning it but quite frankly it's a chemical I don't want my pets consuming.

I totally approve of the ingredient list and am happy to see watermelon and coconut milk in there. Just bought a pound and a half! I can't wait to receive it and see how my geckos like it.
    Stickyfoot Dragons on Facebook

“You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals.”
    -Paul McCartney

Thanks

I am so excited to try this out with my little geckers. Just placed my order! Woot!
    { Leopard Geckos 1.1.2 - Thor, Munch, Bellsprout & Oddish } ~
    { Cresties 1.0.1 - Salty & Snicket } ~ { Gargoyles 1 - Bae }
    { Australian Shepherd 0.1 - Bindi } ~ { Chihuahuas 1.1 - Rico & Apple }
    8} Geeky Geckos {8

Thanks

We have been waiting for this. Glad to see that you rose to the occasion Matt!

PFMC

WE'RE REALLY EXCITED TO TRY IT!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Big Tom For This Useful Post:

Vienna (08-31-2013)

Thanks

anyone feed it to a chahoua yet? mine is so picky i've tried pretty much everything out there. the only way he really eats anything is if i mix it with bananas
    1.0. Chahoua

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by meg90 View Post
    Any long(ish) term growth studies on it? I'm excited to try it out.
    Yes, although I think I would call it observations rather than studies. I started several years ago with a version of this diet that was original PFM with the higher levels of protein from whey isolate and egg. On average geckos fed this exclusively grow 10-15% slower than when insects are also included and is to be expected. The current version which uses the new fruits and has zero cereal grains results in similar growth rates. This change is more recent so we only have 6 months of observations, but we are seeing better eggs and very robust hatchlings.

As everyone knows I've always been an advocate of including at least some insects in the diet, and I still am. The increased protein and fats in this formula definitely allows you to feed insects less often, or not at all if you choose. I'd like to see the mentality of keeping and feeding these geckos change from the goldfish in a bowl that you throw flakes in and hope for the best, to something more along the lines of keeping an animal that thrives best with variety and that requires a little bit more effort and diligence. That may mean that I sell less food when people offer a different complete diet or offer insects one day instead of diet, but that's OK with me. It's nice to be able to tell newbies to feed this and not that and all will be well, but that is a bit lazy IMO, and I think we can do better. Soap box rant complete.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Matthew Parks For This Useful Post:

cassicat4 (08-31-2013),Crestielovely (08-31-2013),Emmy (08-31-2013),Rhac (08-31-2013),rubberduckey273 (02-11-2014),Vienna (09-01-2013)

Thanks

I just ordered some myself. I like the flavor choice you made, and am definitely comfortable with the ingredients list. I have a male who absolutely loves fresh watermelon, so I'm looking forward to seeing how he (and my other geckos) respond to this. Thanks!

Thanks

Yea just placed my order to

Thanks

Just placed my order, have to wait for the next batch though but thats ok.

Thanks

Wow I can't wait to try this!
    ~JEN~
    0.0.1 Rachodactylus Auriculatus "Gilligan"
    1.0.0 Very Spoiled Guinea Pig