View Poll Results: Which hard scape do you like best?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Option 1

1 4.35%
  • Option 2

8 34.78%
  • Option 3

2 8.70%
  • Option 4

12 52.17%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hardscape Poll

Thanks

Default Hardscape Poll

So, I'm building a 27 gallon hex, and need some opinions on hardscape. This will be filled with live plants, so imagine 4 inches of substrate in each of these designs. The rest of the background will be filled in with cork flats and dried sphagnum, cork mosaic style.

Option 1:

Option 2:

Option 3:

Option 4:

Anyway, all thoughts would be appreciated.

ETA: Bonus grumpy baby picture.

Thanks

#4! Dense areas are best, but open air space is also needed. Branches running the length of the tank are best also, how long are you planning to let it grow in?

Thanks

Several months. Said gecko that will be going into this tank is only about 13 grams at the moment. I'd like him to get up to about 20 before he goes in.

Also, those are not all the plants that I'll be using.

Thanks

For the plants, Im not sure exactly what you will be using but you should definitely make the background planted and either have a hanging vine going down or a vine grow up it and use some big plants in the back, even if its just one to fill that open space.

Thanks

Oh yes, there will be lots of vines going up and down. I have some wandering jew, a larger pilea species, a bromiliad or two, and will probably fill in some places, atleast temporarily, with pothos. Will probably pick up another species or two in the coming months. I don't expect anything to move into this tank before Christmas at the very earliest, so I have quite a bit of time to play around, and try out different things.

Thanks

I agree that the vertical branches are best for the gecko. Keep in mind you will need to reach down in to adjust, clean and so on. I love the hex tanks, keep us updated with pics as you work on it! Is the gecko a male or female?

Rachodactylus Ciliatus

MUNKEY, PEACHES, MORROW, THIMBLE, KILI, GOLLUM, FALCOR, CHEECH & VALENTINE

Rachodactylus Auriculatus
    1.2.1 KEKO, ARRO, PEBBLES & FALCOR

Thanks

Actually, I converted this tank to be front opening. I just have the door off to the side, so it doesn't interrupt the line of sight. The homemade top DOES come off, but I should rarely, if ever, need to post initial planting. Not sure on sex yet. I think I saw pores about a month and a half back. But we aren't the best of friends yet, so taking pictures while I'm holding him is a no go, and he doesn't pose near the glass on his current tank much. Since I haven't gotten a definitive answer on gender, I haven't named him/her/it yet.

Those pictures unfortunately didn't do the tank justice in the way of depth.

I ultimately opted for Option 4 though, and glued it and the cork bark this morning. I guess I'll keep updating this thread with progress, and throw up the rest of the build shots here too. I've spent the better part of the last month gathering supplies and snapping photos as I worked.

Thanks

The Build

I snagged this tank for 9.99 at a local thrift store, and picked up the stand/coffee table for an addition 10 bucks while I was there. It works out to be about 27 gallons, 24 inches tall, and 18 inches across from flat side to flat side.

The stand was pretty horrendous...

So I painted it.

Then, after some serious googling, pinteresting, and spending time over on Dendroboards, I decided to try my hand at making this a front opening tank. During which, I scratched up the top of the stand pretty fabulously. I ended up repainting it after the door and screen top were finished.

Removing the piece of glass was actually significantly easier then I was expecting. It took me a few hours, but the end result was well worth it. I opted to cut the glass my self, and then spent a few hours watching netflix while I sanded everything smooth. It's actually a surprisingly good fit.

I then made a screen cover for the tank. This was actually probably the most difficult part of the build. In the I bought 9 feet of 1/2" by 1/2" wooden dowel, cut to fit, and glued it all together, followed by a paint job. I seemed to have missed taking pictures of the step where I attached screen, but that was pretty easy. I laid some fiberglass window screen across the top of the tank, pinned it down, and ran silicone over the edges, smoothing it down as I went. It's made for a fairly tight seal, though I'm not sure how good the longevity will be. I glued it together in the frame of the tank itself, to ensure a tight fit. I wrapped the rim with wax paper for easy removal.

The tank is lit by with an 18 inch exo terra hood, with 2 13 watt Jungle Dawn bulbs that I ordered from NEHerp.

About a week and a half went by between finishing the screen cover, and the local reptile show. I was hoping to score a few things while I was there, but didn't find anything beyond some gecko food that I really needed, and ended up ordering the rest of my supplies from Dendrobati.com.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to pooky125 For This Useful Post:

Emmy (08-25-2013)

Thanks

That's awesome! Very innovative turning it into a front opening. Great job so far and I can't wait to see it finished!

Thanks

I can't say it was all that innovative. A couple of other people have done it over on Dendroboard. I just thought it seemed like a good idea. Here are my inspirational threads, if anyone else would care to try it.

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/par...onversion.html
    http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/par...t-opening.html