Thread: "Shellless" Dud Egg?

Thanks

Default "Shellless" Dud Egg?

Hey guys, have you breeders out there ever found eggs from your girls that were shelless slugs? I think i found one today in Jodhaa's tank. its just a yellow mass, the right size of an egg, but with no obvious shell. Have you guys seen something like that before?
    2.2.4.4 Crested Gecko ( Panchi, Cobar, Jodhaa, Mocha, Poe, Durc, Tivonan, & Stelona.)
    0.1 Leopard Gecko ( Mehndi )
    1.0 Tokay Gecko ( Ralphie )
    2.0 Dogs ( Mel, Buck )
    0.4 Cats ( Koyo, Lupin, Hope, Flop-Tail )

Thanks

I have seen barely calcified eggs, but they still had a membrane coating. That is really weird!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MoonriseGeckos For This Useful Post:

Boanyoo (08-07-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MoonriseGeckos View Post
    I have seen barely calcified eggs, but they still had a membrane coating. That is really weird!
    Oh interesting! You know, this one must have had a membrane because it was still that egg shape but its solid yellow. Makes me think of when you crack a chicken egg and the yoke is self contained, you know?
    I'm glad it was dry by the time i found it otherwise it would have been gross XD
    2.2.4.4 Crested Gecko ( Panchi, Cobar, Jodhaa, Mocha, Poe, Durc, Tivonan, & Stelona.)
    2.0 Dogs ( Mel, Buck )

Thanks

Your female may be dangerously low on calcium is that's the case. Is she doing okay?

Thanks

Your female may be dangerously low on calcium is that's the case. Is she doing okay?
    Oh yeah, she is totally normal. I have been supplementing her with dusted crickets and she is eating her food like normal and acting fine. This is her first year breeding, so i have a feeling that its because of that and not a crash, But, i will be keeping an even closer eye on her. Thanks
    2.0 Dogs ( Mel, Buck )

Thanks

Oh good! Poor first years can have all sorts of issues. Next year, she'll be great I'm sure.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MoonriseGeckos For This Useful Post:

Boanyoo (08-07-2013)

Thanks

Yes, I had one female do that. I purchased her at 19 grams and she had been housed with a male so she was gravid...ouch! She laid one good set of eggs that actually hatched but the next set was yellow, no membrane, really yucky, etc. She has never laid another set since and I don't plan to ever breed her. She's just a very pretty and very sweet pet :-)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Samantha12986 For This Useful Post:

Boanyoo (08-07-2013)

Thanks

Oh good! Poor first years can have all sorts of issues. Next year, she'll be great I'm sure.
    Yeah, its been interesting <:3 LOL She has given me one "good" one, and so far two bad ones (this slug thing, and a undercalcfied one that had no cheerio and molded). I hope i get something this season! LOL And thanks ^^ I really hope she does well too. She is super pretty in my eyes

Quote Originally Posted by Samantha12986 View Post
    Yes, I had one female do that. I purchased her at 19 grams and she had been housed with a male so she was gravid...ouch! She laid one good set of eggs that actually hatched but the next set was yellow, no membrane, really yucky, etc. She has never laid another set since and I don't plan to ever breed her. She's just a very pretty and very sweet pet :-)
    Owie, poor girl! X/ I'm glad she, and the little ones, made it though. :3 And good for you for keeping her as a pet instead of asking her to go through that again.
    2.0 Dogs ( Mel, Buck )

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Boanyoo For This Useful Post:

Samantha12986 (08-08-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 799 Posts

Did it look like this?

Warning: gross!

That came out of an eggbound female who later passed the shell. So it's possible it was just unshelled but be on the alert for any other abnormal behavior or symptoms of illness. The egg yolk is toxic if it is randomly found in the abdominal cavity (egg yolk peritonitis).

Hopefully she is just fine, sounds like she isn't having any issues.
    Specializing in Crested Geckos
    Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
    Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
    Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook