Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I the only one having a bad year?

Thanks

Default Am I the only one having a bad year?

I had a good year last year, almost all eggs were viable. I had 1 gecko die in the egg, and one hatch out as a runt, but other than that all the babies were healthy and were weighing at least 1.8 grams ( I had one behemoth hatch at 2.5 grams). They all grew fine ( besides the runt), and 2 of them will probably be breeding next year. My females were all healthy, kept weights up ( between 40 and 50 grams ), and the eggs were all perfectly calcified.

Last fall I had one female drop weight, but she gained it back within 2 weeks and was weighing 50 grams at the first of the year.

I switched over to CGD 3.1 in January. Up until this point all my babies were growing like weeds. I was not able to feed crickets too much from mid January to mid February, I was out of town and had some stuff pop up.

I paired up some of my females on 1-17-13. I paired the next batch on 2-14-13. I was having a bit of a slow start to the year, I did not get any eggs whatsoever (besides a female that laid duds that had never been paired up) until 3-2 from my first batch of females.

After mid April, my females that were laying were losing weight. Two of them got down to 29 grams ( both of them are tailess). About half of my geckos did not produce, or only laid duds. In their defense, most of them were first season breeders, but the year before all of mine were first season breeders.

Almost all the eggs, fertile or not, were very low on calcium.

Around the first of May, I switched my diet. I had heard some things circulating on the CGD, and I saw that some of my females were not doing too good. I switched to BFG, Pangea Fruit Mix, and CGD mixed with an all natural fruit smoothie and calcium. The egg quality after that seemed to be a little better, and my juvies started growing again. And a lot of my adults started gaining again.

On 6-7, my first clutch of babies hatched from 3-2. Healthy, a bit on the small side (1.4 grams), but they did fine. My next clutch, that was laid 3-15, hatched 6-14. They too were a bit smaller than normal (1.5 grams), but are doing fine.

On 6-30, I had a single egg hatch. The baby was 1.1, but healthy. Today it is weighing 2.0 grams, and is doing great.

On 7-8, a single egg hatched with a normal sized baby (2 grams). This one is growing like a weed.

On about the 13th of July ( not 100% on date), I had a clutch pip and the eggs deflated. I cut the eggs open, and the geckos inside were alive but deformed. The eggs were badly calcified. Both of the geckos were similar in their deformities; both of their legs were not developed ( reminded me a lot of spindly leg syndrome in dart frogs). They would try to walk, but their legs would not hold their weight. The one pictured weighed 1.8 grams, the one not pictured was 1.1. Both were dead the next morning.

133211_306549_VeryLarge_5sgvTFrECShPopP[1] by The Living Palette, on Flickr

133211_306548_VeryLarge_aMEIu71yD4vXT[1] by The Living Palette, on Flickr

On 7-19, a clutch hatched. Both were small (1.2 and 1.3 grams). They seemed to be doing good, until 7-24. Then one of them was found dead, belly up and tailess ( it was the larger one that died ). The night before it was doing fine. All my babies are kept separately. The other one seems to be doing fine, and growing.

Today, 8-6, I had another clutch start hatching. One of the babies I found piped, but with it's tail and hind legs poking out of the hole. I cut the egg, and the baby seemed to be dead. It is actually still alive, but it's legs don't seem to function. That one is weighing 1.4 grams. About an hour later, the other egg collapsed. I cut it, and it is just like the other one. The legs are very thin and spindly ( just like the other clutch that died), and this one is 1.0 grams. I believe this one is now dead, as it is unresponsive.

This is the 1.4 gram one

IMG_0315 (1024x683) by The Living Palette, on Flickr

This is the 1.0 gram one

IMG_0314 (1024x683) by The Living Palette, on Flickr

Here they are together

IMG_0311 (1024x683) by The Living Palette, on Flickr

The only things that I changed from last year to this year was the food ( around the first of the year and the first of May), I paired them up a month early, and I moved my collection to a different location in my house ( which is probably better than the previous location; it is much more climate controlled).

Please share what you may think is going on, and your own experiences. I want to get to the bottom of what is going on.

Noah

Thanks

sucks to have constant issues with hatchlings and eggs. My second year of breeding was terrible but nothing like yours though. I was feeding cgd or trying to up til near spring time until i had enough and tried out clarks after seeing that it was a complete diet. I believe it was a bit late since i starting pairing my five pairs up earlier than that. Some of them were eating ok with cgd but not entirely. I tried nonetheless to pair them all up. Only one female was established and had perfect eggs laid. The others were first timers and all but one had crappy non calcified eggs and duds. Zealot was the only girl to give me at least a couple good eggs out a few ugly clutches. I did start the liquid calcium as time went on but that didn't go over too well. helped some but one girl i tried it with just wasn't working for her. Sure most of mine were virgins at breeding but man the eggs weren't coming out nice.
    As for hatchlings. None have died and were healthy hatching. The first two popped out at 110 days or so at 1.7 grams. A third was 83 days in a huge egg and was 2 grams out of the egg. The rest after that were early birds again around 84 days or so and ranged from 1.4 grams to 1.6 grams. I have them incubating in the lower section of the closet with a closed door in the kitchen. keeps pretty cool in there.
    I think i've found the food that works for most of mine. Clarks fig but i have a few that just are not eating whatever i give to them. Maybe next year once i get these turds on track they'll do better.
    Crested Geckos-somewhere around 118 and 7 eggs cooking
    Leachies (GT and Nuu Ana mixes) 1.2
    Eurydactylodes Agricolae 1.0
    Rhacodactylus auriculatus 0.1.2
    http://www.facebook.com/ntfall.arboreals
    http://www.iherp.com/nightfallarboreals

Thanks

I was having poor eggs popping up (which in my experience tends to lead to smaller babies in the poorly-shelled eggs) earlier in the season, but I switched over to mostly Pangea Fruit Mix and live food once a week, with occasional fruit mixes as treats when I was making myself smoothies anyway. My egg production has gone back up and they're looking better, animals are hatching out at nice sizes. I think my largest this season so far was 2.4 g - we're incubating around 73 F and are getting incubation time around 3 months.

I haven't had any post-hatch death, just one that did not make it out-of-egg that was laid very early in the season, with a poorly shelled egg. I have had one pip its poorly-calcified egg and not make it out on its own, and fortunately I was home to catch this, as after being assisted out and hand-fed for the first 2 weeks it is acting like a normal, if small, hatchling.

I think that someone had received a gecko from you on loan and it was having weight loss issues, and there was a diagnosis involved - not knowing where the issue may have cropped up, have you gotten other animals checked out with fecal exams etc. just in case this may be something which affects females' bodies as they prepare eggs?

And about how long are your eggs incubating & what temps?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaybee For This Useful Post:

JumpinJewels (08-20-2013),TaraLeighsCresties (08-11-2013)

Thanks

The first clutch incubated for 97 days... but now most of them are hatching around 70-75 days. They have been incubation between 73 and 75*

I have done some minor studies of the poo with a microscope, and haven't seen anything yet. I have looked up pictures of some of the common parasites, and have not seen them or the movement that parasites should make.

I am going to wait until about March next year to pair them up; just to give them more winter to recuperate and get some extra weight on them. But I don't know if that will solve anything though.

Noah

Thanks

Sorry you're having a bad year, Noah. I know a breeder several years back that just kept losing eggs for no apparent reason. Sometimes you just have a bad year. Were both the similarly deformed babies from the same female?

I started feeding 3.1 in May or so and so far, no problems with eggs. None have hatched yet, however. I am also concerned after reading comments and have added BFG the last few weeks. Keep us posted and I hope things improve.

Thanks

Sorry you are having issues :/ Honestly, I hope it is the food, because that is something that is easily fixed! It would be good to have peace of mind.

All I know is I stopped feeding Repashy before I paired my geckos and they have all been doing grand. All eggs and duds (from the non breeding females) were well calcified and all babies so far have hatched great.

Thanks

What are you feeding, Vienna?

Thanks

BFG, Clark's, PFM and bugs about twice a month.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vienna For This Useful Post:

JumpinJewels (08-20-2013),MoonriseGeckos (08-07-2013)

Thanks

This year, we didn't see a single egg until April 10th. They've been incubating at about 72-73 degrees for 120 days as of tomorrow. Dying to see these hatchlings!
    For the most part, calcification has been good on all of the eggs, except for the first 2 clutches from one girl. I started offering her a dish of calcium and recent eggs look much better.

*glares at eggs*
    Hatch already!!!!

*ahem*
    However, the gals are keeping weight on better than last year and I attribute that to the diet change. My formerly slow growers are finally growing again and are licking their dishes clean in the process.
    I ditched the Repashy and stick to a mixture of Clarks, BFG, and PFM, with calcium added twice a month for laying females and once a month for growing youngsters. Dusted dubia occasionally.
    Stickyfoot Dragons on Facebook

“You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals.”
    -Paul McCartney

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to silverstar For This Useful Post:

JumpinJewels (08-20-2013),Rhac (08-07-2013)

Thanks

Silver what's your ratio for you clarks bfg and pfm

1.2 Crested Geckos
    1.0 Leachianus
    1.0 Gargoyle Gecko