Thread: UV Lights

Thanks

Default UV Lights

Can anyone tell me if UV lights, either florescent or halogens, are repackaged bulbs off the market? Are there any bulbs in the regular market that work for reptile uv lights?

My dad keeps insisting that these lights can't be made just for the reptile companies, that they're just repackaged lights that are out on the market. He insists that I shoud be able to go down to the light shop and get a bulb that works cheaper than the reptile bulbs.

I'm ready to punch him in the face because he's pissing me off. He's not caring about the health of my beardie which I put above the price of one of these bulbs. I don't have any of the uv meters to even test any other bulbs, plus I think it'd cost more buying all these differnt bulbs to test and the uv meter than to just buy a reptile bulb. I told him that the US makes bulb makers put the uv warning on all these bulbs even though they don't put out much uv, and about the chinese bulbs that are putting out way too much. Yet he doesn't care and thinks the light bulb store employees would actually know something about all this.

Thanks

Grow lights?

Thanks

I've looked around.. but haven't been able to find anything. At LLLreptile.com you can get them really cheap. They should be replaced every 6-9 months. We put ours on timers so that they're only on when they need to be on and not being wasted.. Don't know why I didn't switch to timers a long time ago! The UVB meters are really expensive and I agree with you that I don't think they're worth it. I think we got 1 10.0 UBV bulb for under $30 shipped-- which is REALLY good.
    Olivia
    "...Because what's more efficent than doing nothing?"

"...Doing nothing in a Hybrid?"
    -stephen colbert's writers

Thanks

I have done a bit of researching on this and have come up with a little info. (I am an electrician and have talked to manufactur reps and people who do nothing but sell bulbs).
    What I found is in bulbs like the Merucry vapor the "regular" bulb produces alot of UV but the glass they use blocks most of it so as to be safer for human use.
    UV rays are not something that most manufactures want comming out of their lamps. So they either do not produce them or block what is produced. The lamps that are sold in home centers for plants do not emit enough UV for reptiles with UV requirements. The only lamp that I know of that you might find in "regular stores that would put out any real amount of UV is GE Vita-lite, but for the price and the the amount of UV produced there are better options in most cases.

The ESU compact flouresents are my lamp of choice now They have a low power comsumption. Fit in clamp lamps to put on cages ( when it is time to replace them I will put them in regular light fixtures ,like my porch light or a lamp ,untill they burn out). Can be gotten for less than $15 bucks each at most reptile shows or just a bit more with shipping from some online places. They also have two lamps for different UV needs.
    Dale
    "The dead are likely dull fellows, full of tedious complaints - 'the ground's too cold, my gravestone should be larger, why does HE get more worms than I do...'".

Thanks

I've kept away from ESU. Are they good? I had a 7% desert uvb florescent bulb and fixture from them, my first bulb and reptile, and I didn't think very much of it. I think I had something else ESU that turned me off of them. That's a good idea about using them for regular lights that way though. I'm looking for a beardie so I need as much uvb as possible. Also my cage is 6 foot long with a 4 foot fixture. I'm looking at getting an ackie next and the caresheet at repticzone says they get enough uvb from a 45 watt floodlamp.
    http://www.repticzone.com/caresheets/471.html

From what I read, even the halogens don't start with much uvb till 100 watts and then get better as you get higher wattage.

I looked at LLLReptile, shipping kills me though. I'm pretty broke after having to take off work for a month for a family emergency, and starting that trip with a grand in debt. sigh. I've got the old debt paid off and the new debt pilling back up. If I get this new job I'll be making plenty of money though, crossing my fingers.

Thanks

I know they make some bulbs that do put out UV, but they put out a lot of it. Also, while cheaper then some of the expensive reptile heat/uv bulbs, they are still rather expensive. As far as I know you need to order them, as they are not in a hardware store. A few Uromastyx/tortoise people use them as they are strong enough to only be used for a couple hours. I haven't used them though.

Thanks

I would go to the petstore and buy a new bulb, but the nearest pet store is an hour away. On top of that my registration on my truck has expired. My zoo med basking + uvb light burned out, and of course I'd gotten home without a receipt. I'm debating between one of those or a florescent 10.0 bulb. If I get the zoo med i'm thinking of sending in the waranty with the old bulb. Then if I have two bulbs I can use it for another lizard even if they say the don't need uvb because they eat whole prey. The only animals I would think don't need it are nocturnal animals. But even then they'd get uv from reflected sun at least sometimes. Anyone use uv with their cresteds or other nocturnal lizards?

Thanks

You might be able to find a generic type which is not as expensive but just make sure it has a high rating of like 10%.... (the higher the rating the farther the UV rays travel)
    ~Moose

Thanks

I'm not sure where to find a generic type, or to find the rating of standered bulbs. I don't have a meter and definitely don't have $200 per meter needed.