Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beware the Square!

Thanks

Default Beware the Square!

Sorry for the long post and attached link, but if I can educate just one person regarding the nightmare that is the Square Credit Card Reader then I have no regrets! If anyone has ANY questions after reading this, please PM me or better yet, ask them here. Thanks for reading and if the below concerns you, please pass the info on!

Are you using or thinking of using the Square Credit Card Reader? Please check out this site, not so much for the article but for the customer reviews: http://www.cardpaymentoptions.com/cr...square-review/

And now, my personal experience:
    After losing expo sales because I was only accepting cash, I was introduced to the Square Credit Card Reader. What a great idea for the small business merchant… just 2.75% per swipe. That’s cheaper than e-bay! I used Square for a few expos last year and it worked great. I thought this was going to be smooth sailing and lots of people told me they were using it. I soon found out that there are pitfalls.
    I worked an expo on January 6, 2013 and took some card sales. Six weeks later I received an e-mail from Square stating that there was a chargeback on my account. It was a $225 purchase and the complaint stated that “the item received was not as described”. Not sure how this could be since the gecko was purchased in person at the expo! The only other info I had was that it was a Discover card, the last four digits and the signature from my iphone, which of course looks like it was written with a foot. Square asked for my side of the transaction and told me they would represent me. I told them that the purchase was made in person, the animal was guaranteed female (it was an adult) and six weeks is well over any health guarantee. My assumption was that if Square was representing me that they would inform me of the particulars. This was not the case. Square did not give me the name of the person or any further details on the complaint. They deducted the money from my checking account and did not follow up with me until a month later when I received a simple email stating that the chargeback went through. I lost the appeal without knowing any specifics. When I e-mailed them back and asked, they said the case was closed and they are no longer representing me.
    Now the real fun started. I tried to call them but there is no customer service number. You can NOT get a live body on the phone to assist you. I had numerous emails with Square and had asked a few times to be called but to no avail. Then I found a number online to call them. When I called, it was a recorded message referring me to their website.. then it disconnects. Talk about frustration.
    I then contacted Discover to see if I could find out what to do. They told me that they could not tell me anything if I was not the card holder. I told them I didn’t know who the card holder was because Square didn’t put that info on the receipt. I finally got them to look up the last four digits, and they told me that they did not issue the card. It was 3rd party, like a Walmart or a Sam’s Club and they cannot track those! When I asked Square to give me the info on their representation and tell me what financial institution they were dealing with, they gave me the run around and never answered. I kept getting e-mails back stating that they no longer represented me and referring me to the sections of the contract dealing with chargebacks.
    My next move was to contact the BBB and several other agencies, none of which could help. Many of these are geared to helping consumers, but if you accept credit card payments then you are considered a business. Finally I contacted the Attorney General for my local area. He reviewed Square’s contract and was appalled because it is only designed to protect Square. I was told he would bump my complaint up to the State Attorney General but also indicated that it would probably be filed in a cabinet.
    Finally, nearly four months after the chargeback and several emails, I found company information online and decided to e-mail the top execs at Square. That got a response from a different customer service person who told me that consumers have the right to file a chargeback on any credit card purchases and once again, they are no longer representing me. Finally I lost my patience and emailed them all stating that it was my belief that Square makes it easy for their customers to get ripped off and that they should have been able to give me some info so I could go to battle myself since they failed to properly represent me. I had no money and no gecko and NO information regarding the supposed chargeback representation. They responded with a more detailed description of the initial complaint. Once I read this, I put it all together. The person who bought it had put it on coco fiber and witnessed it choking every day on substrate and decided to email me thirteen days after purchase because the animal was in duress. I recommended paper towel and ways to try to safely remove the substrate, and asked why she took so long to contact me. Two days later the animal was dead and I was being asked for a refund. After explaining that the owner was at fault for doing nothing for nearly two weeks while the animal struggled, I told them I would discount a future animal. They agreed and thanked me and I was expecting them to come to the next expo. When I got the chargeback, this wasn’t even on my radar as it was apparently a closed case.
    The info that Square finally provided regarding the customer complaint was full of lies and inaccuracies. When I told them that they should have given me this info when the complaint was filed and kept me in the loop as to what was happening with their representation of me, they ignored me. I told them I had documentation proving my case had they just included me in their review that I could have defended myself. They could / would not tell me who they dealt with. How can they not know what financial institution they talked to? I told them I had no proof that there even was a defense on my behalf since they could provide no documentation.
    I am currently using GoPayment by Intuit and am very pleased. They HAVE an actual customer care department with live people that speak on a telephone. Their receipts include tons of info on every transaction including the name of the buyer. Their website is fantastic with lots of management tools. I was on the phone with their customer care department for 40 minutes asking questions before I even signed up. All questions were answered cheerfully and they are light years better than Square in my opinion…. And the rate is the same.

2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Dragontown For This Useful Post:

aalbertson3 (08-11-2013),Anya (07-22-2013),CollieMonster (08-03-2013),CrowTRobot (07-30-2013),Emmy (07-22-2013),ento890 (08-02-2013),Gecko_Haven (08-12-2013),insaneglitchx (08-10-2013),Larissa Lurid (07-23-2013),loui1203 (08-12-2013),MistyC (07-30-2013),OctopusMafia (11-13-2014),pookiebuttons (08-03-2013),Purple Trex (08-12-2013),silverstar (07-28-2013),Vienna (08-03-2013)

Thanks

Wow. That's crazy. Sorry you had to go through that. Thanks for the warning.
    3.4.0 Correlophus ciliatus (crested geckos)

Thanks

I plan on bumping this thread 47 million times as awareness is a good thing.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dragontown For This Useful Post:

Gecko_Haven (08-12-2013)

Thanks

That is absurd, the whole situation. Thank you for sharing this. I also can't believe someone to be that selfish to demand a refund for an animal they essentially killed. They don't deserve a discounted animal, nor should they be trusted to keep another one.
    Megan
    My iherp
    Facebook
    Many crested geckos, 0.1 leachie, 1.1 boas, 2.1 cats, and 0.1 dog. Oh and one amazing husband and one precious little boy!

Thanks

I use Intuit as well. I stayed WELL clear of Square after reading those reviews, and while Intuit has their own problems, most of them centered around the card reader not reading correctly sometimes resulting in them having to type the card in. They have been great so far and they do have a live customer support system!
    Formerly the user mikhail

My IHerp!

Facebook! - https://www.facebook.com/treetopreptiles

Thanks

Keep spreading the word and keep looking at that link of reviews. Looks like one of the last comments talks about suing them as the poor guy is out about $40K. Waiting for the day someone launches a class action suit.

Thanks

Wow, that sounds terrible. Sorry you had to experience that.
    1.1.4 Crested Geckos
    0.1.0 Boxador (1/2 Boxer-1/2 Black Lab)
    0.1.0 Girlfriend who likes my geckos but doesn't understand the obsession.

Thanks

Thanks for posting this... I was actually planning on getting a square for expos. After reading this I will be looking at other options.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aalbertson3 View Post
    Thanks for posting this... I was actually planning on getting a square for expos. After reading this I will be looking at other options.
    Intuit has been awesome so far and they HAVE live people answering phones at the help desk! Also, tons more info from their receipts on my phone including cardholder name. Not true from Square.

Thanks

Good Lord Mike, I too can add to your issues with square. I will cut and paste from a FB page, so it might not make total sense as there are replies in between my posts, but it is too much to retype. This started with me today. The show was July 9th? I think. 98 degree day in NY or NJ, can't recall where right now
    WARNING! For those of you that accept credit cards and you have a stupid customer that leaves his gecko in the sun in the car on his drive home and it dies!! If that customer states to his credit card company he is disputing the charge, guess what?? They take that back out of your account!!!! So, my customer killed my gecko that Todd sold to him at a show, it dies on the WAY home! HE files a dispute with his cc company and now they have taken that money from me!! SO! NO MORE CREDIT CARDS FOR US!! This is ridiculous! That was the show that prompted us to use JB's labels for the deli cups. I am furious!!!

My next post
    I have to wait for the charge back dept. to email me and then I can dispute it. That can be up to 15 days for that email. No phone number of course to call right now. It was 98 degrees that day, Todd warned him of heat/sun. I never received proof it was even dead and I was not even told of death until two days after the show. He said it died on the way home and he does not know how/why Good God I am going to vomit
    Next post
    Just so frustrating. This person could not have gone to a store, bought something, did not want it/llike it/broke it whatever, call the credit card company and dispute it. He went to that place to buy. He was face to face with us, not online purchase that went bad. This was 100% his fault. A crested gecko no matter who you purchase it from can't die on the way home from a show unless you bake it or squish it. Period. My animals are healthy, he was told about the sun/heat. How can someone just dispute it. This could start a whole process of scams. Like I said I have no proof it even died. I hope to God it did not! But, proof was never provided and I will not guarantee my gecko against death by sunlight/heat because they are not competent
    I liked the idea of the square as it was not a monthly fee. Got several friends to use it at the shows. God Mike, hope you were not one who took our advice. We have been using about a year and this is the first time we realize there is no phone number and no info to reach a human being!!
    Guess I might as well count my $200 gone after reading yours. Great.
    Last edited by Gecko_Haven; 08-12-2013 at 01:35 PM. Reason: info