Thread: Should I get a snake?

Thanks

Post Should I get a snake?

Hello all, I was thinking of getting a snake and was thinking about a California Kingsnake. Are these good for a first time snake keeper?
    Thanks for all help

-rico

Thanks

Of course you should get a snake I've never had a cal king but they are a manageable size and eat and thrive well. I have a thayeri kingsnake who is like a puppy dog. I had a Mexican black king for a while but she was a grouch. I think a cal king would be a good choice and there are so many different looking ones to choose from.
    God bless http://www.iherp.com/elbee
    0.2.3 Crested Gecko
    3.3 Ball pythons various morphs
    1.0 Thayeri Kingsnake
    1.0 Hog Island Boa
    0.1 Whites tree Frog

3. The Following User Says Thank You to elbee For This Useful Post:

Rico (07-15-2013)

Thanks

if you have the means and the desire, yes, most definitely yes! you seem pretty set on colubrids. you could always go with the classic corn. hognoses and ball pythons both make potentially good pets (they vary by individual). rosy/rubber boas and sand boas are also pretty sweet beginner snakes and stay relatively small

Thanks

Cali kings are generally good snakes but do have a fairly high percent of individuals who bite, a lot. Either from being what I'd term "mean" but more usually just because they have to taste everything they come in contact with to see if it's edible. The nice thing is that they are so food motivated, that feeding strikes with them are exceedingly rare.
    Snakes do make great pets and there are so many species to chose from that are good beginner snakes, I'd definitely recommend them!
    Too many snakes! 20 species and counting. 1.2.plus Crested geckos 2.2 Gargoyle geckos 0.2 Chihuahua 2.2 evil cats.
    Elemental Exotics Terms & Conditions