Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The coolest invertebrates

Thanks

Post The coolest invertebrates

Hello all, I recently got two hissing cockroaches and have found myself hooked on invertebrates. I am allways looking for cool new pets in the future, (near or far). So does anyone have any suggestions for some really cool and interesting invertebrates. thanks for any suggestions.

-rico

Thanks

Well, of course you need a tarantula!

I love all of my T's.
    Fallout Herpetology

Hognose, Carpets, Bloods, Balls, Geckos, and More...

Thanks

Mantids are pretty awesome
    I've never kept one myself, but I have seen other forum members post pictures of theirs

Thanks

Thanks, I am wondering, are tarantulas easy to maintain? do you have to pay a lot for feeder insects or can you just have your own tub of crickets?

Thanks

Depends on the species of tarantula.

Rose hair tarantulas are inexpensive, low maintenance and usually very docile in temperament. My 8 year old loves to hand walk our rosie Lyka and Lyka seems to enjoy her trip out of the tank ;] Food cost around a dollar a week in crickets. Rosies make awesome pets if you ask me...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rico View Post
    Thanks, I am wondering, are tarantulas easy to maintain? do you have to pay a lot for feeder insects or can you just have your own tub of crickets?
    Tarantulas, imo are the easiest animals to keep. You can feed most a few crickets a week. However, if you do look into getting one go for a "new world" (tarantulas from America/south america) because these are for the most part docile and slow moving. "Old worlds" are fast, aggressive, and have more potent venom.
    Sorry to disagree, but I would not recommend a Rose Hair for a beginner. A majority of them can be moody and unpredictable and often go off feed, not to mention most are wild caught. A lot of beginners also find them boring. Don't get me wrong they are a beautiful spider but I would recommend you choose something else for your first spider. Here's a few suggestions:

1. Chaco gold knee
    2. Mexican Red Knee
    4. Honduran Curly Hair
    5. Mexican Blonde Tarantula
    6. Brazilian Black (on the expensive side)
    7. Mexican red leg
    8. Salmon Pink Birdeater (grows HUGE fast, very cheap also)

Pink Toes are good too, but the are a bit different in care because they are arboreal. They have different humidity and caging needs but are still considered good for beginners. (they are also pretty docile). They are also really cheap and easy to get captive bred.
    0.2.2 Crested geckos- Nox, Vesper, Ghidorah, Pitaya
    2.0 Gargoyle geckos- Ridley and Serris
    1.0 Rosy boa- Mojave
    1.0 Leachianus- Helios
    0.0.1 Japanese Toad- Fushigibana
    A ton of bugs

Thanks

I have a roach colony and a local cricket supplier, so I don’t know exactly how much you’d say the “typical” upkeep of a T would be if you were just buying enough bugs to feed each time from a pet store or such.

I have to agree with Soli about the rosehairs… there are much better beginner tarantula species. I would recommend either a Chaco or a Mexican Red Knee. I do not think a Salmon Pink would make a good first tarantula, as the entire lot of Lasiodora can be a little unpredictable and although not as prone to bite as Old Worlds, I’ve heard of more than one keeper getting bit by their defensive Salmon Pink an those fangs are huge.

We have several species, some that would make terrible first pets (Like our OBT) and some that would make wonderful first pets. Of those we own I would recommend the Chaco, Honduran Curly Hair, Euathlus spp. (these are dwarf tarantulas, depending on the species they mature very small), or an Aphonopelma sp. (I have a “New River Rust Rump”).

I think your best bet is a Chaco or Mexican Red Knee, but that’s just me! if you do want an aboreal species, Pink Toes are certainly the best option for beginners, although I would suggest you get as large a specimen as possible... Husbandry error in slings results in a high number of fatalities (often clumped together and called "Sudden Avic Death Syndrome").

Have you looked into emperor scorpions as well?
    Fallout Herpetology

Hognose, Carpets, Bloods, Balls, Geckos, and More...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Siphon For This Useful Post:

Soli (07-16-2013)

Thanks

Thanks, I appreciate all help and advice.

-rico

Thanks

Yes I have looked into scorpions, but I think my parents would have a cow!

Thanks

OK, I haven't kept millipedes or velvet worms as pets, but they're the two terrestrial invertebrate species I'd me most interested in keeping.
    3.4.0 Correlophus ciliatus (crested geckos)