Thread: Unwanted bugs in the roach colony

Thanks

Default Unwanted bugs in the roach colony

These popped up for the first time in my roach colony. Wondering if I should be concerned. Anyone know what they are?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks

I've been told they're carpet beetle larvae. find them all the time in my cricket tubs, they're predatory to smaller insects, but harmless to feed to your geckos.
    2.5.1 leopard geckos, 1.1 bearded dragons, 1.1 crested geckos, 0.1 Madagascar day gecko, 1.1 tokays, 1.0 cave racer, 1.1 corn snakes, 1.1 northern pine snakes, 1.0 royal python, 1.1 Everglades rat snakes, 1.0 gargoyle gecko.

https://www.facebook.com/SwampysReptiles

Thanks

Are the adults predatory or are the larva? Is it something to be concerned about?

Thanks

They look like black larder beetle/incinerator beetle larvae to me. I've had them in my cricket containers. While I believe they're harmless to feed to your reptiles, they eventually morph into beetles. The adult form can fly which is also something to consider when it comes to opening your feeder container. I always find them a hassle as they are very prolific as well. Whenever I see them, I toss them.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Incredible Geckos View Post
    Are the adults predatory or are the larva? Is it something to be concerned about?

i think it's just the adult beetles that are carnivorous, and, as cassicat says, they can fly, so i usually just feed em as soon as i find them.
    2.5.1 leopard geckos, 1.1 bearded dragons, 1.1 crested geckos, 0.1 Madagascar day gecko, 1.1 tokays, 1.0 cave racer, 1.1 corn snakes, 1.1 northern pine snakes, 1.0 royal python, 1.1 Everglades rat snakes, 1.0 gargoyle gecko.

https://www.facebook.com/SwampysReptiles