Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gtp and milksnake I found yesterday

Thanks

Default Gtp and kingsnake I found yesterday

I recently got a new camera and have been trying to take good pictures, so I figured I would show off my efforts. Heres some pictures of my gtp and a kingsnake I found while I was out herping yesterday. All photos were taken with a nikon D3100 with a Dx 35mm lens. Thanks for looking, Justin.

And some of the wild caught milksnake, (s)he was actually really nice for a wild snake.

Last edited by geckojustin; 06-18-2013 at 03:32 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to geckojustin For This Useful Post:

LCH (06-18-2013),Sal (07-05-2013),Swampy'sReptiles (06-18-2013)

Thanks

That's a gorgeous GTP, what locale? It looks a little dried out in those pics though, are you having issues with keeping the right humidity?
    3.8.0 C. ciliatus , 1.1 G. vittatus , 0.1 G. gekko , 2.0 F. pardalis ambilobe, 1.0 C. calyptratus, 0.1 P. grandis, 1.0 P. curtus

Thanks

Thank you It's an aru x biak.. Which picture are you referring to where it's looking dried out?

Thanks

Oh and that's a KINGSNAKE not sure why I wrote milksnake.. Palm face.

Thanks

In all of your pics I'm seeing stretched skin over the scales and tightness on the spine. How much daily humidity are you allowing and what's your setup like? Neonate GTPs are pretty sensitive to dehydration, and you could be setting yourself up for shed issues if you don't have a good steady rating.
    3.8.0 C. ciliatus , 1.1 G. vittatus , 0.1 G. gekko , 2.0 F. pardalis ambilobe, 1.0 C. calyptratus, 0.1 P. grandis, 1.0 P. curtus

Thanks

Well the last seven sheds since I've had it have been great. What does humidity have to do with hydration? My snake drinks from the water bowl and gets water from f/t mice as well. But I don't really spray that much usually only during shed cycles and i still dont spray all that much then and have never had shed issues. Just curious do you own any gtp's.

Thanks

And that "neonate" is a little over a year old and weighs around 120 grams just so you know.

Thanks

Gorgeous snakes! So jealous of your 35mm!!
    <3 Rachel (Kiwi Geckos)
    My iherp
    Bunches of critters.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by geckojustin View Post
    What does humidity have to do with hydration?
    ... Everything? Humidity levels are important to the proper care and health of all GTP. Its great that yours will drink from a dish, but you'll find that he or she is much more likely to drink droplets on her cage furniture. It is more natural to her, and always a fun habit to observe. Regardless, humidity and hydration are directly correlated in any species but the GTP in particular is one species that many keepers struggle with humidity levels for.

Also, hello from another Tennesseean! Your pictures are fantastic. Where do you herp?
    Fallout Herpetology

Hognose, Carpets, Bloods, Balls, Geckos, and More...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Siphon View Post
    ... Everything? Humidity levels are important to the proper care and health of all GTP. Its great that yours will drink from a dish, but you'll find that he or she is much more likely to drink droplets on her cage furniture. It is more natural to her, and always a fun habit to observe. Regardless, humidity and hydration are directly correlated in any species but the GTP in particular is one species that many keepers struggle with humidity levels for.

Also, hello from another Tennesseean! Your pictures are fantastic. Where do you herp?
    I understand that's the way people have kept gtp's for a long time. But a lot of really big name chondro breeders have been switching to lower temps/ not spraying much or any or at all anymore and have found the same thing I have found they do just fine. A cage high in humidity all the time is a cage high in pathogens, pathogens that like to live in the respiratory trach of chondros, ill pass on that. I just recently heard one of them say hes been keeping his chondros at 30% and has yet to get any respiratory infections anymore. And no offense I don't see many gtp keepers over on Morelia viridis forums struggling with humidity at all? A lot of chondro husbandry techniques and myths about them
    Derive from the days of trooper Walsh back when animals were wild caught, that's why you always hear there not a beginner snake and there mean and so forth my gtp is as tame as a puppy. But I assure you my snake is healthy in every way (s)he eats, poops and sheds like clockwork. Maybe you should listen to the terry Phillips interview on Morelia python radio and some of the chondro talk on there or visit the moreliaviridis forum and you'll see more of what I'm blabbing on about lol.

Hey thanks for the compliment, But that's cool you live in tennessee which part? I'm over in the southeast and I do some up in the smokies near treemont and Cade's cove and I live on about fifteen acres out here in the Seymour area just outside of the smokies. How about your self?