Thread: The Ultimate Creepy Crawlie....

Thanks

Default The Ultimate Creepy Crawlie....

These things used to give me nightmares.... had one fall from the ceiling onto my neck once. I'm sure these spread fear, panic and icki-feelings to many people. They look furry, but that's just because there's so many long legs... and they are more like creepy FASTIES because man, they are quick. so while we all know about reptiles that get a bum rap, here's an insect that IMO really has a poor reputation based upon misunderstanding. That's right.... I'm talking about.......................

The House Centipede!

I can sense the repulsion as you look at this. Go on, admit it.

Yep, you smash em on sight.... yet I have one in an enclosure. Go on, call me what you will... I can take it.

Now despite how one might be freaked out by these creatures, there are two things to know that maybe you didn't. First, they are harmless to humans, even if they did bite.

Second, and way cooler.... they are ravenous and deadly hunters... preying on insects. Aren't you hating it when crickets escape and run amok? Well take solace in knowing that if the random spiders present in everyone's home don't get the crickets, these guys will:

Alright, I get it. Maybe I am crazy for keeping one and I'm sure most of you will still smash on site, but at least maybe ya'll learned something you didn't know today... and what's cooler than that?

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dragontown For This Useful Post:

CollieMonster (06-10-2013),Emmy (06-09-2013),FaaFaa (06-09-2013),Jatbi (06-10-2013),Swampy'sReptiles (06-10-2013),XerxesMom (06-11-2013)

Thanks

I don't care how good a hunter they are, you can keep it!! I can even get you a few more out of our basement iffin you like!
    Horrible creepy horrible many legged horrible things!!!!

Thanks

I LOVE these guys! Kept a few as pets. Any loose ones in my house get named "Bob" and get free room and board. They are useful to have around.
    ~JEN~
    0.0.1 Rachodactylus Auriculatus "Gilligan"
    1.0.0 Very Spoiled Guinea Pig

Thanks

I think they are adorable, especially this one!

Thanks

Love them too! I used to handle these guys all the time (didn't know they could bite) and never got bit. Where did you get it, caught it in your house?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by llurgy View Post
    I don't care how good a hunter they are, you can keep it!! I can even get you a few more out of our basement iffin you like!
    Horrible creepy horrible many legged horrible things!!!!
    LOL I used to be you

Quote Originally Posted by FaaFaa View Post
    I LOVE these guys! Kept a few as pets. Any loose ones in my house get named "Bob" and get free room and board. They are useful to have around.
    BOB? Ok, you're further along than me!

Quote Originally Posted by Larissa Lurid View Post
    I think they are adorable, especially this one!
    WHY did I know you would say this? I don't think there's any critter that you don't like!

Quote Originally Posted by Soli View Post
    Love them too! I used to handle these guys all the time (didn't know they could bite) and never got bit. Where did you get it, caught it in your house?
    Handle? How? They run like lightening. Yeah, this one was tuckered out in my bathtub

Thanks

If they don't build webs, they are far more welcome than all my random spiders. Every spider in St. Louis comes to my house to dine on escaped bugs. I've never seen one here, but I'm not terribly repulsed. My ultimate repulsion is the whip-tailed scorpion.

Noelle

Thanks

What a neat looking centipede!
    Pitt Bulls-1.1.0, Kitty Cat-0.1.0, Eastern Box Turtles- ?3.1.0?
    Crested Gecko-2.4.1, Gargoyle Gecko-0.0.1, Tokay Gecko-0.0.1, Rose Hair Tarantula-0.1.0, Black Widow-0.1.0
    Other Spiders- Way too many to count! Mantis- out the ying yang, Eastern Brown Snakes- Very very healthy population pick up a log, find a snake
    !

Thanks

I think they are cute. I rescued one from my bathtub the other day...only to find one of the cats eating him later I only name the spiders, and they are always Fred