Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Baby beardies and their behaviour?

Thanks

Default Baby beardies and their behaviour?

I am not at all familiar with Bearded Dragons, but I saw a little fella today that just didn't seem right. He was about 4-6 inches full length and he had crickets all over him. This disturbed me and I went and told one of the employees about it. He said that he didn't think the little guy was gonna make it anyway cuz he sits with his head in a weird position constantly... kind of like it's waiting for something to fall out of the sky or something. It just looks up all the time.

Is this normal? Is it a sign that something is wrong with it?

I've been going to this particular privately owned pet store for almost 10 years, so I am quite confident that if something is wrong with it they will let me bring it home and rehab it. But, is there something wrong with it?

Any suggestions or sites with great info, as far as husbandry and so on, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Thanks

Okay I am a very avid bearded dragon owner and that little beardie is ins ome serious trouble. He should not have crickets all of him and the fact that his head was just looking wierd was a sign something was wrong or he was trying to escape the crix.

Bearded dragons are omnivores- There diet should have vegetable matter in it as well as insects. I recomend silkworms/goliath hornworms. Their food shoudl be dusted with a calcium supplement as well as a multi-vitamin. There husbandry should be a substrate that will not harm them. The best is paper towel. They need a tank that is no bigger then a 50 gallon breeder. The temps in the cage should be 90-95. They do not drink standing water so they must be misted everyday. They should get a bath 3-5 times a week. When bath time comes around for a little guy make sure the water does not go past his back. They need a UVB light which is the ultraviolent rays from the sun. I suggest repti sun 10.0. When summer time comes around you can hang them on your window to get the sun too. Dont put the gace by a window thinking he will get sun becuase the glass will reflect it. When you get the light make sure that you take the plastic covering off of it. When breeding them they need a 70+ tank. I hope this helps. You can look here for more info: www.reptilerooms.com www.beautifuldragons.com. You can also ask me anytime you need help. Aim- Fearl3ss465 or just PM me. They are awsome animals if you can save him I would do it.
    John Barkowski
    1.0.0 Ice/Sandfire Bearded Dragon
    0.1.0 Beagle Terrier
    0.1.0 Toy Chihuahua
    Unless we act now to stop illegal trade, we will eventually find only a dust bowl, emptied of all its forests and animals.

Thanks

A few corrections to the above post. A baby bearded dragon's basking spot the SURFACE temp should be 110-115 F, an adult 105-110 F. On the cool end the AMBIENT temp should be around 85 F. I would suggest Ceramic Tile as substrate. Easy to clean, cheap, and safe. Paper towels and newspaper also works well. Make sure to feed crickets no bigger than the space between the eyes. And with babies, they need to be fed however many it wants in 15 min. 2-3x a day, and adults just need about 25 crickets a week. Make sure to offer greens, such as Collard Greens, Mustard Greens, and Turnip Greens. I would stick to those. Silkworms are a great feeder, as they are soft and you don't have to worry about size too much. They are also more nutritious. Don't know about feeding Goliath worms as a staple though. For heat, I would just get a clear house bulb, and mess with the wattages until you get the right temps. You don't need the ones from pet stores. These serve the same purpose and are cheaper. I would suggest www.dragonzone.rapidboards.com. That's a great place for information. Good luck!
    3.6.3 Crested Geckos
    0.0.1 Bearded dragon
    0.2.0 Marbled Crayfish
    0.0.1 Axolotl
    1.1.0 Cats (Lightbulb and Paperclip)

Kazzy's Kritters

My iHerp Page
    Middle TN Exotic Pets Club

Thanks

Katie, temp underneath the basking light should be 110 but the floor temp of the hot spot should be 95. I think ceramic tile is a awsome choice. Do you know how to instal it? I have never used it before but have heard of it being done. Goialth horn worms can be used a stple becuase acutally they have alot more nutrition then any other insect. There was a vendor at NARBC Chicago that was selling them. I never liked using the house bulbs becuause they dont last as long. I like the bulbs made by zoomed.
    John Barkowski
    0.1.0 Beagle Terrier
    0.1.0 Toy Chihuahua
    Unless we act now to stop illegal trade, we will eventually find only a dust bowl, emptied of all its forests and animals.

Thanks

I have seen the looking toward the sky thing in dogs, cats, and chickens, but never in herps. In mammals and birds it's an indication of an inner ear infection. How serious and permanent the damage is is directly related to how long and how bad the infection is. He needs to see a vet for proper diagnosis, but I would guess that it's what's called vestibular syndrome. You know how when you get bad head congestion and your ears feel stopped up and it makes you feel dizzy when you stand up? The inner ear helps control equillibrium and keeps you upright and walking straight. If it's messed up or compromised because of infection it can make an animal feel like things are leaning sideways, so they compensate by turning their heads. I once had a cat with it and his head was permanently cocked sideways. If they let you take him get him to the vet ASAP.
    Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith, I consider a capacity for it terrifying and absolutely vile!
    ~Kurt Vonnegut

Thanks

also, I used to raise bearded dragons years ago, and unless they have changed over the years, they will drink from a bowl and should have water available at all times....

Thanks

i know beardies like to drink from their bath water a lot.
    ~Colleen~

Thanks

Yea I have a adult and he wont drink from standing water
    John Barkowski
    0.1.0 Beagle Terrier
    0.1.0 Toy Chihuahua

Thanks

My sister has 2 and both will drink up when put in there bath, also on the beardie forum I'm a part of, I'm pretty sure every dragon will usually drink some of the bath water.
    ~Colleen~

Thanks

Sorry to sound like a downer, but usually when babies spin around and tilt their head back, they don't make it. Poor diet for the parents and/or inbreeding can cause babies to come out this way. Diet is super important. I like using crickets and roaches as a staple because you can always alter the gut content.If you put a water bowl in the corner of the cage, the dragon should have no problem finding it. Josh