Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Is CGD 3.0 Causing Liver Failure and Deaths?

Thanks

Exclamation Is CGD 3.0 Causing Liver Failure and Deaths?

Hi Everyone,

I really hope that this post doesn't start any major arguments or controversy but I saw something that I'm pretty concerned about. On a Facebook post about a dying gecko that had just been changed from the T-Rex version to the 3.0, a reputable and fairly well-known breeder mentioned that after the switch, she had several unexpected deaths and found out that she knows of other people that have had issues with it too. She mentioned that their livers were going bad but I don't know if that was confirmed by necropsy. Hopefully she will see this thread and chime in. The gecko from the post had a necropsy done and the liver was enlarged and discolored.

Most of my geckos are doing fine with the 3.0 but I've had some issues too so I'm just wondering if anyone else is willing to share their experiences. I'm considering switching them over to BFGD but I'm concerned that it is a fairly new diet and other issues might come out in the future.

What do you guys think?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Samantha12986 For This Useful Post:

JumpinJewels (05-08-2013)

Thanks

I would be concerned too. I am in a group that has had some losses recently as well. Keep in mind that when Crested Geckos get the Entamoeba Invadens, it distroys their liver and bowel systems is usually affected as well. I am also concerned about your question. I posted in Crested Geckos asking if others were losing geckos mysteriously with no response. We are waiting for pathology on a necropsy currently. We do know that there have been deaths of the invadens from the same breeder to others... It's sad, I hope to hear results soon on the necro... If there is anything to the 3.0 causing deaths, I wish we could get a confirmation so we could take action... Good luck

Rachodactylus Ciliatus

MUNKEY, PEACHES, MORROW, THIMBLE, KILI, GOLLUM, FALCOR, CHEECH & VALENTINE

Rachodactylus Auriculatus
    1.2.1 KEKO, ARRO, PEBBLES & FALCOR

Thanks

Thanks for replying. I wasn't aware that there was an invadens situation going on as well. The fact that it also causes liver problems certainly makes the situation that much harder to figure out. Have you heard about people having these unexplained deaths that have not had any contact with the ones that have been affected with the invadens issue?

Thanks

Thanks for posting this. I'll be looking for any updates.
    1.1.4 Crested Geckos
    0.1.0 Boxador (1/2 Boxer-1/2 Black Lab)
    0.1.0 Girlfriend who likes my geckos but doesn't understand the obsession.

Thanks

I have doubts that the food is causing deaths. I would imagine that Allen Repashy and his team went through many trials before introducing the new version and believe that they feed their geckos this formula as well.
    If you are concerned I would attempt to email him personally asking about this situation and how he feels about all this.

I agree with JumpinJewels in that the invadens sounds more likely the cause for the liver damage. We will know more once we hear of an actual necropsy and its results.
    Kendyl

3.5.20 New Caledonian Geckos
    0.0.1 Boas | 1.1.0 Pythons | 0.0.2 Tarantulas

Brookshire Exotics | iHerp | Facebook | Fauna BOI |

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mimmieux For This Useful Post:

b4iwascrzy (05-20-2013),cassicat4 (05-08-2013),Dragontown (05-08-2013),JumpinJewels (05-08-2013),sarahberry (05-09-2013)

Thanks

My gecko won't touch the Repashy 3.0 (he's been eating BFG regularly), so I can't say I've had any ill effects. It makes me wonder, though, if it's something nutritionally that is fine for most geckos, but not okay for those with a certain gene or something. Like how most dalmatians can't have liver (among other things) or how most collies can't have ivermectin (among other things), even though the rest of the canine population can have all those things without a problem. .
    1.0.0 Crested Gecko - The Mighty Jagrafess of the Holy Hadrojassic Maxarodenfoe
    0.1.0 Mouse - Gwyneth
    1.0.0 Smooth Collie - UCh URO1 Moxie's Adamantium Man BN RA CA HIC CGC TT, SD
    1.0.0 Boxer - URO1 Gavroche de la Rue RA CA CGC

The Eclectic Collie

Thanks

I have also lost two, both on CGD 3.0. One subadult, and one juvie. When taken to Dr. Rossi(my herp vet), he found no parasites, but an enlarged liver. I was heartbroken, to say the least. The first gecko was a completely healthy 25 gram boy, and the second, a 5.6 gram unsexed kiddo.

I am not the one that posted on Facebook, but I did just see that in the group.
    C. Ciliatus - 5.9.2

Syren's Eye Geckos
    https://www.facebook.com/SyrensEyeGeckos

Thanks

Forgot to add, he diagnosed Fatty Liver Disease.
    C. Ciliatus - 5.9.2

Syren's Eye Geckos

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Syren408 View Post
    I have also lost two, both on CGD 3.0. One subadult, and one juvie. When taken to Dr. Rossi(my herp vet), he found no parasites, but an enlarged liver. I was heartbroken, to say the least. The first gecko was a completely healthy 25 gram boy, and the second, a 5.6 gram unsexed kiddo.

I am not the one that posted on Facebook, but I did just see that in the group.
    I'm sorry you lost your geckos but I am still at doubt here.
    Several factors also play a roll in this little mystery that have yet to be enlightened upon.
    Kendyl

3.5.20 New Caledonian Geckos
    0.0.1 Boas | 1.1.0 Pythons | 0.0.2 Tarantulas

Brookshire Exotics | iHerp | Facebook | Fauna BOI |

Thanks

I understand, I was just bringing my part of the story to light, so that we can further delve into this and maybe find what's really going on. I myself am surprised, and very unsure about the CGD being bad, but I just wanted to add my two cents :P
    C. Ciliatus - 5.9.2

Syren's Eye Geckos

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Syren408 For This Useful Post:

Mimmieux (05-08-2013)