Thread: Hatchling feeding

Thanks

Default Hatchling feeding

What do you guys do for the fresh babies? I just had my first egg hatch. There is a tiny dish with a tiny amount of CGD on it. I realize the baby might not eat for a few days because of being fresh out the egg but just in case is that all everyone does?

Thanks

Yeah that's pretty much it. Just make sure the dish isn't too deep and that he is able to find his food and feel secure
    <3 Rachel (Kiwi Geckos)
    My iherp
    Bunches of critters.

Thanks

For hatchlings and small youngsters, I use gum packet "TV dinner" dishes for food and water. The caps from water bottles (shaved down to only a few mm high) are also suitable. Youngsters really don't eat much. I give them about a dime-sized blob of food per day, and only rarely do they eat most of it.
    3.4.0 Correlophus ciliatus (crested geckos)

Thanks

I don't give mine anything for the first two days except an extremely shallow cap with water, and mist them for hydration and so their first shed goes well.

Then about the second or third day once I know they've shed I give them a very tiny water bottle cap with a small amount of food. They eat so little at that size you might not even notice any change in the food, so it is important to weigh them- I always weigh mine right out of the egg, and then a few times over the course of their first couple weeks to make sure they are eating (pooping is also a good indicator if they are eating!)
    www.Gracious Geckos.com
    Specializing in (but not limited to) R. auriculatus!
    Facebook!