Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am so damn freaked out!! Earthquake in OKC

Thanks

Default I am so damn freaked out!! Earthquake in OKC

I live in in the dead center of the country in Oklahoma City. Nothing goes on here but tornados and I know how to deal with those. I'm sitting on my living room floor last night wrapping christmas presents and the house starts shaking for several seconds. The cats freak out and tear through the house and go hide, the birds that were sleeping fell off their perches they were so startled, and I run in a panic to the herp room where my husband is but he thinks I'm nuts cuz he didn't feel anything. Now, knowing the history of OKC, with the federal building bombing and the current state of the world my first thought was something blew up. Then I remembered that I live a stones throw from the air force base so I thought a plane crashed. The local news has not broken in with any alerts so I wait till 10 when the news comes on. Turns out we had an earthquake! A 2.5 on the richter scale! I don't know how you West Coasters do it. That was the most freaked out I have ever been! We had another one at midnight that was a 2.7 and they tell us to expect more in the next few days. Of the few things you can count on anymore, the ground staying still under foot is not one I am willing to give up! It was the strangest sensation, my floor was rolling under my feet as I was getting off the floor to run for the hills. I still can't relax. I work on the 13th floor of a 16 floor building and everytime the elevator stops on my floor, it shakes us a little and I jump.

Anyone here been through an earthquake? Share your stories, please.
    Suzanne
    8.12.10 Crested Gecko
    0.2 Gargoyle Gecko
    1.0 Bearded Dragon
    1.1 cats
    1.1 dogs
    1.2 humans, subadults
    1.0 husband with 30+snakes

Thanks

Ive lived in cali all my life.And ive only felt one earth quake.I was at my cousanis house sitting on the couch and hear his floor creek and look and theirs a little shake.Its was cool.But never felt a big one.

Thanks

I've been in two earthquakes. The first one, I slept through... so it doesn't really count. (LMBO!) The second, I was walking down the stairs in Monterey, felt everything move... bumped down a few stairs on my butt, and was convinced that it was my balance that made me fall. (At least until everyone came out of their rooms and started yelling about it. It was kind of funny because I'd been shaking my head and laughing at my clumsiness... thinking I'd just lost my footing somehow and bumped down a few stairs.)

Earthquakes don't freak me out, but then again... I'm the weird person who'd rather have a thunderstorm than a sunny day.
    ~Sarah~
    www.CrestedLady.com

"This is your life, are you who you want to be?" -Switchfoot

Thanks

I've never really experanced a large scale earthquake, but I did experance one it just felt like a large truck past the house, nothing major..
    Its geckolicious!
    http://amreptiles.webs.com/

Thanks

I've been through a few small ones, barely noticed them, but there is one that will stick out in my mind for the rest of my life. By all accounts, a 5.0 quake isn't much, but the circumstances made this one a good one.
    January 31, 1986 http://earthquake.usgs.gov/regional/...1986_01_31.php
    I'm in Ontario, Canada, but we felt it here. It happened while I was in the hospital in full labor with my 2nd baby. The epidural had just started working nicely, couldn't feel a thing from the waist down, and of course, wouldn't have been able to walk, let alone run, when the hospital started shaking. The IV bottles were sloshing on the poles, the bed moved a bit (somebody forgot to apply the brakes), nurses were screaming and running scared in the hallways. .... and here we were, women in labor, ... at the mercy of whatever hit us.
    Luckily, it didn't last long, no damage was done, and I swear the rocking helped speed things up for me A few months earlier there was a devastating quake in Mexico, the newspapers had intensive coverage of a maternity hospital that was flattened. Stories about mothers, babies, fatalities and miracles plastered the papers for weeks. That's what I kept thinking about for a few hours, until things got too busy with me to worry about that anymore. But it gave me a new appreciation for what those women in Mexico went through when their world fell apart.

And my daughter, born that day, picked up the earthquake traits - she can stir things up like a Magnitude 5.0 or higher
    If you can read this, thank a teacher.

Thanks

My mom and sister live in Wynnewood, OK. It's about and hour and a half south of OKC. I called my sister this morning and she said she never felt anything. She said she didn't even know they could get earthquakes in Oklahoma!

Thanks

No earthquakes for me, well atleast any ones that I could feel. Just hurricanes
    Derek Dunlop
    DDReptiles
    www.DDReptiles.net
    Croc's Rule- Steve Irwin

Thanks

Amanda, they are saying it was only felt for about a 10 mile radius. The geologist they interviewed said OK gets about a dozen quakes a year but we don't feel most of them. Nothing else has happened since last night. Some people here in town didn't even feel it. It seems to be where you were even in your own house. My boss was in her car and didn't notice it. But one of the girls at my daughters daycare did and she lives across town from me (small town). 911 got a lot of calls from people thinking something had blown up. It wasn't a big quake by any stretch of the imagination it's just that it was so out of place. You don't expect that here. You ask anyone here what they were doing May 3rd 1999 and they know exactly what you are talking about. That was the monster tornado that came through and tore us up. You ask them about when was the last earthquake and no one has an answer. I hope to never experience another one.
    Suzanne
    8.12.10 Crested Gecko
    0.2 Gargoyle Gecko
    1.0 Bearded Dragon
    1.1 cats
    1.1 dogs
    1.2 humans, subadults

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DDReptiles View Post
    No earthquakes for me, well atleast any ones that I could feel. Just hurricanes
    Yeah, I'm used to those too. I'm from Pensacola Florida and we got our share of direct hits! My wedding nearly had to be postponed due to hurricane Opal.
    Suzanne
    8.12.10 Crested Gecko
    0.2 Gargoyle Gecko
    1.0 Bearded Dragon
    1.1 cats
    1.1 dogs
    1.2 humans, subadults

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 4minters View Post
    Yeah, I'm used to those too. I'm from Pensacola Florida and we got our share of direct hits! My wedding nearly had to be postponed due to hurricane Opal.

Yeah, when we lived up in Wilmington the whole city kinda juts out into the ocean so we would always get atleast 1 bad hurricane a year dead on.
    Derek Dunlop
    DDReptiles
    www.DDReptiles.net
    Croc's Rule- Steve Irwin