Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: BFG Smoothie

Thanks

Default BFG Smoothie

Very excited, adding some new elements to the diet!!

I just ordered Vicki from BFG's new gecko smoothie mix, and the Pangea fruit blend! Hoping to amp up the variety in the diet a bit.... and hopefully make 3.0 a little more palatable for some of the little guys!

BTW the shipping on both are fantastic! Ordered them both yesterday afternoon and they both were shipped out today before noon!! Great businesses

I suppose I should make something to talk about on this thread.... so what do you guys think of these diets? Anyone try the new BFG mix yet, and do you use your pangea fruit blend as a flavor enhancer or feed it just by itself, unmixed w/other diets?
    C. ciliatus 3.6.36.24 D. leucomelas 0.0.4 Furcifir pardalis 1.0 living with 3.6 Bufo marinus 0.2 R. leachianus 0.1 Batrachomoeus trispinosus 0.0.1 (and 1.0 Pug)

www.AllStarGeckos.com
    www.ChameleonAddict.com
    Facebook Page

Thanks

I have been wanting to do some of this same stuff myself. Theres a thread called Diversity in Diet or something like that that I havevbeen reading. Let me know how it goes with the new add ins.
    ~JEN~
    0.0.1 Rachodactylus Auriculatus "Gilligan"
    1.0.0 Very Spoiled Guinea Pig

Thanks

Here are my thoughts!

Pangea Fruit mix:
    * A crowd freaking favorite. Everyone likes it.
    * A pita to mix. I use the squeeze bottle dispense method and there are always clumps that clog the spout. I get the least when I use warm water to mix, let it sit for 5-10 mins, and then set the stick blender on it.
    * Smells very sweet without the sickeningly sweet of 3.0 (or 2.0 for that matter).

BFG Smoothie Mix:
    * Love that it is all natural (I think Pangea Fruit mix can boast that too?)
    * Smells like rosemary and parsley, and not sweet at all. I have been having issues with some fatties needing diet regulated, even though they weren't eating a lot of volume of 3.0, they were just getting fat. I'm happy to have a low sugar diet to work with.
    * Mixes the most evenly of all the mixes. Takes more water to get the same consistency of mix, so I accidentally made a TON.
    * It took geckos a few days to take to this food, but after three offerings I had clean plates from a few which is more than I ever had on Repashy 3.0 but not as many as on Pangea Fruit Mix.
    * This food goes bad fast. And by bad, I mean it just smells off on the 2nd day. Repashy's does that too, but not as bad.

All in all, my favorites are 1. Pangea Fruit Mix, 2. BFG Smoothie diet, 3. Homemade fruit concoctions, and 4. Repashy.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vienna For This Useful Post:

cassicat4 (05-16-2013),finnabhar (03-27-2013),sarahberry (04-04-2013)

Thanks

I haven't used the Pangea mix yet. I'd like to, as sort of an enrichment item, but I can't justify buying a big bag when I only have one gecko, and I can't justify the shipping for one little bag of food. I may buy the 4oz bag when I make my next Pangea order, though.

I did buy a small bag of the BFG...and Jagger absolutely loves it. He only really chowed down on the CGD once, and that was a couple days after I got him, despite being fed CGD and crickets at the place he came from. He has completely cleaned up 2+ bowls of BFG in the last several days. Last night I actually put in 3 bowls of food - one BFG, one CGD, and one mixed, and he ate ALL of the BFG but didn't touch the other two. I'm glad he likes the BFG, because he had dropped a couple grams. Now he's gained it back already. He's only 26 grams, so he should be growing, not shrinking! The BFG also smells good. I have the peach CGD, and it smells "fruity" but it smells artificial. The BFG does NOT smell fruity, it's more savory, but it smells good. I like the ingredients in the BFG better.
    1.0.0 Crested Gecko - The Mighty Jagrafess of the Holy Hadrojassic Maxarodenfoe
    0.1.0 Mouse - Gwyneth
    1.0.0 Smooth Collie - UCh URO1 Moxie's Adamantium Man BN RA CA HIC CGC TT, SD
    1.0.0 Boxer - URO1 Gavroche de la Rue RA CA CGC

The Eclectic Collie

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CollieMonster For This Useful Post:

bigfatgeckos (03-28-2013)

Thanks

Well it will be also Big fat gecko too......when it gets here, but as far as the read up is concerned this too is a complete diet. No bugs involved, just the powders

Thanks

Thankyou....I shall get some, but probably only feed every 2 weeks or so, same with the BFG diet, until more is known, that way at least diet is balanced as long as the Repashy is going down their necks in a regular fashion

Thanks

BFG from how I understand it is a diet that is supposed to be supplemented with insects.
    C. ciliatus 3.6.36.24 D. leucomelas 0.0.4 Furcifir pardalis 1.0 living with 3.6 Bufo marinus 0.2 R. leachianus 0.1 Batrachomoeus trispinosus 0.0.1 (and 1.0 Pug)

www.AllStarGeckos.com
    www.ChameleonAddict.com
    Facebook Page

Thanks

From the transcript Vienna posted a few posts back and from reading on the BFG's facebook page, it isn't 100% whether insects are part of the diet or just considered a treat. All the talk of late seems to point towards the insects being a treat versus a necessity.

Thanks

can BFG be mixed in with the normal cgd or for the extremely picky eaters? nearly all of mine refuse the cgd at this point and i dont' do crickets much at all except for just a few of them as a treat.
    Crested Geckos-somewhere around 118 and 7 eggs cooking
    Leachies (GT and Nuu Ana mixes) 1.2
    Eurydactylodes Agricolae 1.0
    Rhacodactylus auriculatus 0.1.2
    http://www.facebook.com/ntfall.arboreals
    http://www.iherp.com/nightfallarboreals

Thanks

So is feeding insects a PITA? Kind of.
    Is feeding insects worth it? Definitely!!!
    I agree 100% Matt! Well gut loaded and dusted crickets once a week or when on BFG food I have found 1 or 2 times a month is sufficient. Although I did test my food with no bugs for 1 year. BUT.... I really do recommend the bugs at least once a month!
    If you are a cricket hater like me you can add freeze dried bugs to BFG smoothie mix or Pangea fruit mix a couple times a month. This has worked for me in the past just dust them before adding just like you would live ones.

anyone have any questions about BFG Smoothie Mix?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to bigfatgeckos For This Useful Post:

finnabhar (03-28-2013)