Thread: Homemade roach chow

Thanks

Default Homemade roach chow

Hey Guys and Gals,

My dubia colony has grown significantly and its time to think about making homemade roach chow. I wanted to see if any of you have any good recipes that have had success. I have tried blending up Dry dog food in the past, and have had poor results from it. Usually it would just sit in the colony for a week or two and eventually I would dump it out. Recently I purchased some "roach chow" from a dubia breeder nearby where I live. The stuff smells great, almost like cherios and looks like just blended up oats. I put it in the colony and literally watch 80% of the roaches come out of the woodworks in the light and demolish over a cup of it in minutes. Obviously out of respect that he sells at the show I didn't interrogate him for his recipe, I just know it doesn't have cat or dog food in it. Hopefully you guys can steer me in a direction where I can come up with something on my own and save me some money. Thanks for the help.

Ryan Z

Thanks

I have heard of people using a mixture of cheerios, goldfish flakes, chicken feed.... but I have never made any first hand. I used to buy mine online from Rio Reptiles and then added fresh fruits and greens.
    ~JEN~
    0.0.1 Rachodactylus Auriculatus "Gilligan"
    1.0.0 Very Spoiled Guinea Pig

Thanks

Thanks for asking this. I'd also love to find out how to make some at home!
    <3 Rachel (Kiwi Geckos)
    My iherp
    Bunches of critters.

Thanks

Well guys i decided to brew up something on my own. I have seen numerous debates online as to whether or not its right or wrong to feed your roaches cat food/dog food/fish food and then turn around and feed them to your geckos. For this reason i decided to stay away from those types of protiens and instead used Alphalpha Hay for my protien source. I blended up Cherios, Oats, Brand flakes, and Alphalpha last night and the roaches loved it. Demolished the whole cup by this morning when i looked in the bin. Anyone have any suggestions on Items that i NEED to add either from the roaches or the geckos perspective? Also note that i do throw in cut up oranges, and patatoes occasionally.

Thanks,

Ryan Z

Thanks

You could also try feeding the roaches old CGD that the geckos didn't eat. It won't be near enough to feed the entire colony, but it is just another way to get some more CGD into your gecko

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 799 Posts

Sounds like you have a good base diet for the roaches' benefit, but be sure to gutload them on a more liquid commercial or fruit-based gutload that's high in moisture and vitamins. One of the great things about feeding bugs is they add to the hydration of a gecko. I like to gutload for hydration and vitamins (fruit, leftover salad, etc) and dust the bugs, but you can certainly use a high-calcium gutload for 24 hours before feeding to the geckos.

Be sure not to use a high-calcium or high-protein food as both can cause problems for the roaches and possibly the geckos in turn.
    Specializing in Crested Geckos
    Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
    Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
    Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Thanks

I feed my roaches high quality dog food, vegetables, fruits, leftover CGD, parrot pellets, fish flakes, and a little bit of oats on occassion. I also provide water crystals. I'm getting some chickens soon so I'll be adding some chicken feed into the diet too.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Emmy View Post
    You could also try feeding the roaches old CGD that the geckos didn't eat. It won't be near enough to feed the entire colony, but it is just another way to get some more CGD into your gecko
    I totally do this

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Larissa Lurid View Post
    I feed my roaches high quality dog food, vegetables, fruits, leftover CGD, parrot pellets, fish flakes, and a little bit of oats on occassion. I also provide water crystals. I'm getting some chickens soon so I'll be adding some chicken feed into the diet too.
    If you are getting chicks, be aware most chick feed is medicated, so definitely don't give them that.

Layer pellets/crumble are probably fine for them though.
    www.Gracious Geckos.com
    Specializing in (but not limited to) R. auriculatus!
    Facebook!

Thanks

We have Madagascars at work, not Dubias, but we use primate biscuits supplemented with fresh produce.
    1.0.0 Crested Gecko - The Mighty Jagrafess of the Holy Hadrojassic Maxarodenfoe
    0.1.0 Mouse - Gwyneth
    1.0.0 Smooth Collie - UCh URO1 Moxie's Adamantium Man BN RA CA HIC CGC TT, SD
    1.0.0 Boxer - URO1 Gavroche de la Rue RA CA CGC

The Eclectic Collie