Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good Snake for a beginner?

Thanks

Default Good Snake for a beginner?

Hello!
    I am looking into getting a snake, and am not sure which kind to go with. Any suggestions?

Definitely thinking of getting a Ball Python, have heard they are a good beginner snake, opinions? I would also love some tips for Ball Pythons as well! I have heard to use a heat lamp, or under tank heater, which is better?
    0.0.2 Gargoyle Gecko (Ghost & Buster)
    5.3.1 Crested Geckos (Rupert, Percy, Phillip, Pox, Jekyll, Reesie, Jelly, Olive & Crimson)
    0.0.1 African Fat Tail Gecko (Norman)
    0.1.0 Bearded Dragon (Boo)

Thanks

Under tank heat is the best.
    Corn snakes are also a very popular beginner snake. I started with a kingsnake and also worked with rat snakes, which are very similar to corns.
    1♂ 1♀ 6? Crested Gecko; 1♂ Eastern Kingsnake; 1♀ Western Hognose Snake; 1♀ mutt hound dog, Gerdie; 3 Lepidodactylus lugubris

Thanks

Thanks!

Are Corn snakes as docile as Ball Pythons?

Quote Originally Posted by Jatbi View Post
    Under tank heat is the best.
    Corn snakes are also a very popular beginner snake. I started with a kingsnake and also worked with rat snakes, which are very similar to corns.
    5.3.1 Crested Geckos (Rupert, Percy, Phillip, Pox, Jekyll, Reesie, Jelly, Olive & Crimson)

Thanks

Corn snakes are kinda crazy as babies but with handling they can calm down as an adult. They are much more curious about their environment. I love both corns and ball pythons. I'd probably keep both if I was able to. If you can, go to a petstore and check them out. Handle both a corn and a ball python. Then once you have in mind what kind of snake you want you can get Into the morphs and traits you like. You really can't go wrong with either.

Thanks

Also make sure you escape proof your cage! Corns and rats especially are great climbers. I've seen even babies climb onto the stick-on thermometers and then get fully inside the lip at the top of aquariums. Even with a ball python, invest in some screen clips

As far as temperament, keep on mind that individual snakes so have their own personalities. But generally, the hatchling ball pythons I've seen just chill around and get in their water dish. Corns can act a little more agitated, but well socialized snakes aren't phased much. Hatchlings will kind of zip around on you. The park I work at has a black rat snake now (same genus as corns, very similar IMO) and she is grumpy sometimes when you first get her out, but is a total sweetheart!! Not head shy or anything.

I've seen some grumpy adult ball pythons, too. So snakes can go either way.
    1♂ 1♀ 6? Crested Gecko; 1♂ Eastern Kingsnake; 1♀ Western Hognose Snake; 1♀ mutt hound dog, Gerdie; 3 Lepidodactylus lugubris

Thanks

For example (pic I took of the Black Rat Snake at the zoo)

Ball python probably won't do that. Like someone mentioned, these guys are a little more curious about the environment.

Thanks

Reposted
    Last edited by Jatbi; 04-04-2013 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Double post

Thanks

I personally wouldn't suggest a ball python as a starter snake. Sure they are lazy lumps of a snake, but they a nitrous for being picky feeders at times which can be extremely frustrating.

I would suggest a corn or even a kingsnake. They might wiggle a bit more but honestly it shouldn't be any issue if you're use to holding cresties...they chill out very nicely as they get larger.
    www.Gracious Geckos.com
    Specializing in (but not limited to) R. auriculatus!
    Facebook!

Thanks

You guys are so awesome!

This forum never ceases to amaze me with the information and feed back I get! Definitely thinking Corn Snake, I already have a rescued Fat Tail Gecko who won't eat on it's own, so I would rather not have a finicky snake to feed as well.

I have held both Ball Pythons and Corn Snakes, and have cared for Corn Snakes a long time ago (amazing elementary school pets haha) so I am going to TRY to convince the boyfriend to get a Corn Snake instead

Thanks

Gopher snakes are also supposed to be good beginner snakes, but I hardly ever see any for sale. Any way you go, it's all up to your preference... like picking out a dog breed.
    My hognose snake is a picky eater and I finally broke down and started feeding live. I can't blame you for not wanting that headache! But balls are supposed to be getting better about being picky. When you buy it, just inquire about what it has been eating (frozen/thawed, fresh kill, live) and how often. Species and color of mice can also make a difference. The ball breeder I get my domestic mice from also breeds african soft fur mice for his extra picky ballpythons.
    My male kingsnake has never missed a meal, though. kings have the reputation of being aggressive during mealtime.