Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Millipede Pics!

Thanks

Default Millipede Pics!

Look at this Milli-cutie! It lives in my planted cage and comes out so little!

He's munching on some leftover CGD.
    (Don't worry, Hershel doesn't bother him and he doesn't bother Hershel.)
    1♂ 1♀ 6? Crested Gecko; 1♂ Eastern Kingsnake; 1♀ Western Hognose Snake; 1♀ mutt hound dog, Gerdie; 3 Lepidodactylus lugubris

Thanks

Is your millipede in the same cage as your crested gecko?
    If so, how exactly does this work out? I have heard of keeping them together before, but have never had the chance to ask someone who does about it. I know that millipedes can secrete some nasty fluids when disturbed though.. Just wondering if this would ever affect your gecko. Supposedly they're really great for cleaning up enclosures, maybe even more effective than isopods? Would they compete with the gecko for CGD?
    Sorry, I have sooo many questions.. Any insight would be greatly appreciated
    And if they are in fact in separate enclosures, disregard this post :P

Thanks

So cool.

Millipedes are pretty much harmless. They eat decayed stuff. This guy is the mould clean-up crew and I can't see that the crestie would bother it or vice versa.
    3.4.0 Correlophus ciliatus (crested geckos)

Thanks

They are in the same enclosure, a planted one with a dracaena and birds nest fern. There also used to be a ficus, but between Hersh and me we broke all the leaves off lol.

It is kind of an experiment I am trying, after reading about people keeping african giant millipedes in planted cages with cresties. They have lived in harmony for a year now. My gecko doesn't show any interest in the millipede, but I also don't watch him 24/7. When disturbed millipedes do give off nastiness, it smells like a cherry smell and can irritate human skin, or give you a good discoloration. I've only ever noticed the smell from this guy. I THINK this is a Narceus americanus, I honestly can't remember from the person I bought it from. But, I've caught millipedes in the wild and can say in my experience, the different species tend to have different reactions and levels of nasty-- these guys are the least nasty I've ever dealt with. I'm pretty sure they put out just enough to taste bad. To my knowledge, the millipede has never gone into defensive mode due to the gecko.

Now while the millipede defense mechanism sounds scary, I honestly don't really worry about it because the guy spends so much time buried in the soil-- I go months and months without seeing him or any trace. The last time I saw the millipede out and getting GCD (or doing anything) was... maybe October. Even when I stir the dirt up, I don't find him. The first time I assumed it had died!

Now I would definitely NOT recommend this with a hatchling gecko or millipede. I've read from the AGM keepers that the size of the millipede is probably the best deterrent... but some juvi geckos I've seen snap at anything and everything that moves. When I introduced the millipede, you bet I was watching ALL THE TIME. Oh and my planted tank is a 15 gal, so it has more floor space than the taller exo terras and whatnot.
    1♂ 1♀ 6? Crested Gecko; 1♂ Eastern Kingsnake; 1♀ Western Hognose Snake; 1♀ mutt hound dog, Gerdie; 3 Lepidodactylus lugubris

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jatbi For This Useful Post:

Emmy (03-31-2013)

Thanks

The millipedes that are flat and black with bright yellow fringing and legs give out the most nasty, IMO. They perfume themselves very liberally. They are called Xystodesmid Millipedes, Apheloria tigana.

On second exam of my bug book, my 'pede might be a Desert Millipede, Orthoporus ornatus. Either way, I find the round ones more agreeable than the flat ones as a general rule.

Thanks

Very interesting
    I have not seriously entertained the idea of keeping a millipede with my gecko but this makes me curious.
    Two species that I think are particularly beautiful are narceus americanus and chicobolus spinigerus. Do you have any experience with either of these? Would either be suitable for living in the same enclosure as a crestie? Both of these millipedes enjoy humid environments and grow to a size that I think the gecko would be uninterested in trying to eat. Could they act in the place of isopods as an enclosure cleaner? I have a planted vivarium with springtails, sansevieria, wandering jew, and tillandsias.
    Thanks in advance for any and all input

Thanks

Iv herd of rolley polleys/ pill bugs with crested geckos befor but not centipedes. That's very interesting

Thanks

Oh no we are not talking about centipedes. Centipedes are predatory and I would not trust them in a gecko enclosure at all. Millipedes are a totally different creature all around, and much more benevolent.

Thanks

Don't confuse centipedes and millipedes. Centipedes are flatter, longer legs, and have venomous pinchers. like Emmy said, they are predatory.

On the other hand, millipedes eat decaying plant matter and only have their defensive irritating spray.

Thanks

Typing on my phone, so can't deal with a quote. I have never kept a Florida ivory Milli, never seen one because I've never lived where they live
    The americanus I have. Wild ones have little mites on them, so be careful of that. Captive bred generally don't. Don't handle them too much. At my nature center, my coworker killed my millipede by letting school kids handle it after being slathered in germX. Pretty sure that killed it. I've fed it decaying plant matter, old bananas, dry dog food.

In my planted tank, I stir up the poop and dead ficus and have sphagnum moss stirred into the soil on one side. As you can see, he occasionally comes out to get dried GCD.