Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So She Said I Could Get a Snake . . .

Thanks

Default So She Said I Could Get a Snake . . .

But what kind?!

It would have to be something fairly small that could live in no bigger than a 20L or so, decently easy to handle, and potentially good in higher humidity if I keep him in the same area as my geckos.

*flails*

What are some of your favorite snakes?
    3.4.5 Crested Geckos, 0.1 Nuu Ana Leachie, 3.5.1 Cats, 1.3 Dogs, 2.0 Rats, 0.1 Mildly Tolerant Partner

Thanks

My fav is a piebald ball python...but then I haven't really been around a ton of snakes other than ball pythons, corns, kings, a couple of milks, couple of sand snakes, and one hog nose.

My vote would be either hog nose or a sand snake. The sands are pretty cool other than you don't see them when they burrow but they are adorable. I had trouble getting them to eat. Corn snakes eat really really well, and while feisty as a baby they chill out as an adult. Plus you have a big color selection. Hog noses are too cute!

Someone did post an amazing Borneo short tail on here once that I was in love with, but they get too big for a 20l.

There's plenty of other species that fit the description of what you need of course, these are just the ones I know. I'm interested to see what everyone else posts

I should also add I have never personally owned one, I come from a pet store background and my friend used to have a toooonn of snakes I helped him with.

Thanks

Ball pythons would be good being that they (usually) dont grow over 5 foot, so would a corn snake, I love love Garter snakes because they are really easy to take care of and you can get different morphs now and you can feed them small feeder fish instead of mice (if you dont like that they eat mice)
    0.0.0 Crestie(s)
    0.1.0 Leopard Gecko[Hermes]
    1.0.0 Dog [Bert]

Thanks

If I could only have one snake, I'd probably save up for an awesome ball python morph. I love their temperaments, and they're gorgeous.

Recently I came across an ad for Trans-pecos ratsnakes (subocs), but I believe they need a larger cage size than a 20g at their adult size. Very cool colors on them too though.
    Always check the Fauna BOI before you buy!
    :: iHerp :: Template Reptiles :: Canine Habits ::

Template Reptiles on Facebook

Thanks

We have ball pythons, hognose, carpet python, kenyan sand boas, and Honduran milksnakes. The milksnakes are BY FAR the easiest to care for. They shed with no issues right on schedule, ALWAYS ready to eat, and just generally really cool snakes. I also like the hognose, but one of ours is ridiculously aggressive, even going so far as open-mouth striking, which they're not supposed to do. The other hognose is super calm and an awesome snake. I love the sand boas, and they're a nice small snake, but they tend not to eat well in the winter.
    1.0.0 Crested Gecko - The Mighty Jagrafess of the Holy Hadrojassic Maxarodenfoe
    0.1.0 Mouse - Gwyneth
    1.0.0 Smooth Collie - UCh URO1 Moxie's Adamantium Man BN RA CA HIC CGC TT, SD
    1.0.0 Boxer - URO1 Gavroche de la Rue RA CA CGC

The Eclectic Collie

Thanks

I was thinking about sand boas (LOVE their faces!) or a corn snake. I do looooove piebald ball pythons, though. I'd have to sell a few geckos to save up for one. I may start out with a corn or a milk snake and, if I decide to, I can sell that one and pick up a pied ball python on down the line . . . or a Thai bamboo rat snake. Those guys are really my favorite, even if they are nippy.

I've read that sand boas are communal? Is this true? At least semi-communal, unlike other snakes?
    3.4.5 Crested Geckos, 0.1 Nuu Ana Leachie, 3.5.1 Cats, 1.3 Dogs, 2.0 Rats, 0.1 Mildly Tolerant Partner

Thanks

I've read that sand boas are communal? Is this true? At least semi-communal, unlike other snakes?
    We keep ours in separate enclosures and haven't had issues. I did a research project on sand boas and didn't come across much saying they were communal.
    1.0.0 Crested Gecko - The Mighty Jagrafess of the Holy Hadrojassic Maxarodenfoe
    0.1.0 Mouse - Gwyneth
    1.0.0 Smooth Collie - UCh URO1 Moxie's Adamantium Man BN RA CA HIC CGC TT, SD
    1.0.0 Boxer - URO1 Gavroche de la Rue RA CA CGC

The Eclectic Collie

Thanks

I'm looking into green tree pythons. The morphs are stunning. Obviously pricy.

They don't require huge setups. A little over beginner.

Some of the corn snake morphs are neat too.

Thanks

+1 for KSB, they're my own new addiction! LMK if you want links to some FB groups and a forum.

My initial research said communal was fine (ie- SandBoaMorph's careguide alone). After further research, I'm going to house all mine individually.

Thanks

We have a Ball Python & Kenyan Sand Boa, both are great snakes!
    4.1 Dogs: Baringer, Riesling, Trunks, Tebow & Dante 1.0 Sulcata: Cavin 1.1 KSB: Mordecei & P.B. 2.2.6 Gargoyles: Venture, Triana, LSP, Nyx, 21 & 24 0.2 Leopard Geckos: Videl & Eclipse 1. 0AFT: Rigby 7.7.19 Cresties: Ghost, Drayven, Morzan, Jelly, Esme, Peach, Marcelene, Ino, Chi, Haven, Tsunade, Senju, Cinna, Tribute, Jiraya, Iruka, Kurama, Seelie, Kushina, Tada & Iyrony 1.0 Short Tailed Opossum: Daubie