Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Observations of the Yellow Kind: Akua

Thanks

I prefer the really light, creamy yellows myself. They're that much closer to white.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Big Tom View Post
    This loss or inability to see the coloration, could be due to thickening of skin as they age.

Can you elaborate on this? This is the first time I've heard of skin thickening as geckos age.

Thanks

The thought of skin thickening and or loss of translucency from hatching to adulthood is a plausible explanation. I stated it could be a cause... not definately was, just to clarify. I would think that the thickness would be different in a hatchling as compared to an adult. There could also be a reduction in the number of pigment containing cells which may become larger like in humans. This is what causes our skin to look thin and pale in old age. It however doesn't reduce the # of skin cells and actually thin it out.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Big Tom For This Useful Post:

that_girl (03-05-2013)

Thanks

I think she is gorgeous and fluffy perfection! I have seen a supplement by Repashy to invigorate the colors, is that an option? maybe gut loading the crickets with carotene? If you look at the geckos in the wild, they are oranges, olives and buckskins. Perhaps its just nature and age. We change with maturity and age too! She is truly beautiful, I love yellows myself...

Rachodactylus Ciliatus

MUNKEY, PEACHES, MORROW, THIMBLE, KILI, GOLLUM, FALCOR, CHEECH & VALENTINE

Rachodactylus Auriculatus
    1.2.1 KEKO, ARRO, PEBBLES & FALCOR

Thanks

It's not just yellows that change with age! Our male Mandrake was sooooo much more vibrant when he was younger, and now he seems...faded almost, the colors have blended together almost. He still makes nice babies, but I wish he would fire like he used to.
    previously known as hermansmama

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JumpinJewels View Post
    I have seen a supplement by Repashy to invigorate the colors, is that an option?

He does make the SuperPig, but it's already in the cgd. I could purchase it separately and add more, but I don't think I'll do that.

Quote Originally Posted by hermansmama View Post
    It's not just yellows that change with age! Our male Mandrake was sooooo much more vibrant when he was younger, and now he seems...faded almost, the colors have blended together almost. He still makes nice babies, but I wish he would fire like he used to.

Yeah I think it's interesting how some geckos hold their color, and some don't. It seems like cresteds are their prettiest from about 20-30 grams, and then they fade as adults. Hopefully we can get future generations to hold their colors better as adults.