Thread: Tamechi & Devaki, duplicate leachies

Thanks

Default Tamechi & Devaki, duplicate leachies

Many of you know that we were fortunate enough to hatch out a leachie from a female that was never put with a male. While I have no genetic testing available to me to prove that this is the case, I can only provide my story and you can choose to believe it or not. We purchased Tamechi who is an island cross when she was about 5 grams in '09. We raised her up. We bought her has a pet because at that time, we had no intentions of breeding leachies, just wanted one as a pet.

She started laying dud eggs late in '11, so as customary we incubated them just like we do every other egg until they went bad or molded. Well in January of '12, one egg looked good. And it never went bad. And in May, we hatched out a leachie! Tamechi has never been, nor will she ever be placed with a male. We do own one male leachie who was pair bonded with another female at the time this happened. I would have had no reason to put that male with Tamechi, and so I didn't. But he was in my possession at the time. They were never even housed on the same side of the room as each other, and never out of their enclosures at the same time.

Anyway, on to the pics!

Devaki - 56 grams and just shy of a year old. She loves to eat and looks like Tamechi at this age.

Tamechi & Devaki together

We plan to keep Devaki and see if she does the same thing. I have sold my pair of isle e leachies, meaning in two weeks, I won't own any males. We plan to keep Devaki and see if she does the same thing. I have sold my pair of isle e leachies, meaning in two weeks, I won't own any males. Tamechi continues to lay dud eggs regularly, all of which have eventually gone bad.

Here are some of the old threads on the subject if you are curious of the history of this story.

Just in case anything crazy happens... - Gecko Resource Forums

Something CRAZY happened! - Gecko Resource Forums

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to that_girl For This Useful Post:

aalbertson3 (03-03-2013),finnabhar (03-04-2013),Horchata (03-04-2013),Purple Trex (03-03-2013),Vienna (03-03-2013)

Thanks

That is bizarre and insanely amazing. I had no idea leachies could be parthenogenic.
    3.8.0 C. ciliatus , 1.1 G. vittatus , 0.1 G. gekko , 2.0 F. pardalis ambilobe, 1.0 C. calyptratus, 0.1 P. grandis, 1.0 P. curtus

Thanks

We had heard rumors of it, as there are a handful of cases, some with very well known gecko people. We never in a million years thought it would happen to us!

Thanks

Is Devaki the one I named?
    -Will
    My Facebook
    ôResentment is like drinking a poison and waiting for the other person to die." Carrie Fisher

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WillC View Post
    Is Devaki the one I named?
    Yes, sir. Thanks a bunch!

Thanks

So awesome... She is beautiful.

Thanks

I'll be keeping a close eye on any eggs my Frump lays. She's never been with a male, either, although she's only a wee bit over a year right now.

Lovely guys!
    3.4.5 Crested Geckos, 0.1 Nuu Ana Leachie, 3.5.1 Cats, 1.3 Dogs, 2.0 Rats, 0.1 Mildly Tolerant Partner

Thanks

Jai .....

Thanks

I'm hoping for something cool like this, I have a GT x GT cross and she looks female, I don't plan to put her with my male I'm getting as he's bonded with a female and why mess with a good thing. It'd be really cool to get a Partho from her
    Raxicorocofalipitorious