Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snake Substrate?

Thanks

Question Snake Substrate?

I'm dying here...a little at a time apparantly. I've discovered that I'm very allergic to aspen. Hmmmm. So, I'm still letting Maze have a small amount to burrow in, but am needing to replace with another burrowable, yet safe substrate.

To field concerns, Maze is kept in a 40 gallon tank with 3/4 of it free of substrate. Main floor covering is vinal shelf paper, but I did give Maze 1/4 of an area which is covered in aspen. To field further concerns, Maze is not fed in the 40 gal tank, but removed for feeding, so no concerns of impaction.

I would really like to keep Maze, but I can't deal with the aspen. Any other ideas of substrate safe to use?
    ~ Dorothy ~

4.7 Crested Gecko ~ 2.0.1 Chahoua ~ 0.1 Gargoyle
    1.2 Leopard Gecko ~ 1.0 Bearded Dragon ~ 1.1 Pictus
    1.0 Anole ~ 1.0 Box Turtle ~ 1.0 Tree Frog

Thanks

Try Carefresh bedding, it is that newspaper balls that they put in rodent cages. It is gray clumps of newspaper. I use that for some of my snakes and works great.
    Derek Dunlop
    DDReptiles
    www.DDReptiles.net
    Croc's Rule- Steve Irwin

Thanks

I have always liked cyprus mulch. Buy it in the big bags at Depot or lowes. I just wash it with warm water remove any reallly big chunks.
    "The dead are likely dull fellows, full of tedious complaints - 'the ground's too cold, my gravestone should be larger, why does HE get more worms than I do...'".

Thanks

I agree with Derek. Carefresh. It's a little pricey but good stuff. We use it for baby birds and they are so sensitive, they can't use much of anything. There are also those green pellets. I don't know what they are but I see animals on them at some of the shows. Honestly, it looks like rabbit food. Don't know about that. There is a catlitter called yesterdays news that is along the same line as carefresh but it is a pellet instead of a fluffball. The only of these that I have used is carefresh, I was just brainstorming on the rest.
    Suzanne
    8.12.10 Crested Gecko
    0.2 Gargoyle Gecko
    1.0 Bearded Dragon
    1.1 cats
    1.1 dogs
    1.2 humans, subadults
    1.0 husband with 30+snakes

Thanks

We use cypress mulch with our snakes. It's nice because it helps to hold in some humidity which can aid in an easy shedding process. Zoo Med has some called Forest Floor Bedding. That's what we always get. It's not too pricey and I like it better then the mulch from Lowes/Home Depot. It seems to have more mulch and less of the big woody chunks. We put a thin layer on about 3/4 of the cage and then build it up a little more on one end and it works like a charm. Hope this helps!!
    1 ball python: Cleo
    2 bearded dragons: Fats McMasterson and Pololi
    2 dogs: Lucy and Dusty
    2 cats: Luna and Lucky
    1 oscar, 1 red terror and 1 pleco

Thanks

I want to stay away from the cypress, I'm probably allergic to it as well. I do have Carefresh and Yesterday's News on hand. We use Carefresh for our gerbil's bedding and Yesterday's News for ferret litter.

I considered using the Carefresh, but am worried that it might be too dusty. The Yesterday's news definitely has too much dust, so that isn't an option. I may give the Carefresh a try.

Thanks everyone!

Thanks

Whenever I try Cypress, I always end up getting a bunch or ear wigs in there...
    Derek Dunlop
    DDReptiles
    www.DDReptiles.net
    Croc's Rule- Steve Irwin

Thanks

Try the white carefresh. It seems to be much more dust free, and looks better too.
    A righteous man does not need a law, and an unrighteous man cannot keep one.

Thanks

When you use carefresh, just make sure you have a moist hide at all times. It can really dry out your snakes.

Sucks that your allergic to woods. You might try putting some white paper through your shredder even and stick that in there.

Thanks

Yeah, shreded paper would work good to, my parents work at jobs where there is a bunch of shreded paper about. So, it is always avalible to me. Let me know if you would like some
    ~Christa~
    Avalon Reptiles

" If all the beasts were gone man would die from loneliness of spirit... for whatever happens to the beast, happens to the man" -Chief Seattle-