Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Urgent help....

Thanks

Default Urgent help....

Just picked up my first Garg today from a well known and liked local shop. He/she has what appears to be a bubble? on their stomach. I did not notice this until I got home, its about the size of a small pea. Ill get a picture up in a little bit, and a weight of the little fella. I read in a few places that it could be a calcium bubble and I hope thats all it is because I love this little guy/girl. Lots of spunk. Looks healthy otherwise....

Thanks

Just weighed him/her teetering 9 grams...
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 357MAGNOLE View Post
    Just weighed him/her teetering 9 grams...
    Interesting, well all you can do is wait and see if hes acting normal and eating and passing fine. If he starts nodding off a bit and loosing weight I would take him to the vet.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Autumn Carden View Post
    Interesting, well all you can do is wait and see if hes acting normal and eating and passing fine. If he starts nodding off a bit and loosing weight I would take him to the vet.
    Acts normal, pooped on the way home.... I guess it will be a waiting game. Any one able to guess an age for 8-9 grams?

Thanks

Do reptiles get umbilical hernias like mammals can?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kimfishepet View Post
    Do reptiles get umbilical hernias like mammals can?
    Due to location, my initial thought was left over yolk. But then I remembered he/she is probably several months old at 9 grams.

Thanks

I think I personally would take the gecko to a vet. I'm a worry wort though, and would rather be safe than sorry. That's really strange. Keep us up to date, and hopefully it's nothing serious. Let us know if you decide to go to the vet.
    The Gecko Garden on Facebook - IHerp http://iherp.com/Public/ShowUser.asp...f-3b7f36b4d856

Thanks

I will keep an eye on him. He acts fine, he has been in his new cage for 2 hours and already eaten a cricket. He pooper earlier, as long as the trend continues and hopefully the bump goes away then awesome... Its weird though, when he stretches out while hand walking it goes away. It only appears when he is sitting still.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 799 Posts

One of my female cesties developed one of those a couple of years ago. The vet diagnosed it as a type of hernia (it could have been an umbilical hernia, I'll try to find the paperwork). I decided to retire her from breeding, since it was possible it could have developed more during egg production and potentially put her health at risk. However, she's otherwise very healthy! I've read that these are considered genetic in cats and dogs, so it might be wise to not breed this one, just in case.
    Specializing in Crested Geckos
    Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
    Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
    Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Spyral For This Useful Post:

Jade Autumn Carden (02-21-2013)

Thanks

Default UPDATE... Not so positive

A not so positive update. I guess things are not looking good for the little guy. Had him checked out and was told it was a "hernia" basically and that it should not affect him/her at all.

I left on Friday (Im in the Navy and currrently out at sea) I have had my wife monitoring him and she checked him today. He has gone from 9 grams to 6 grams in a week. He stopped eating entirely, does not lick moisture off the cage when misted. Does not go to his CGD, does not do much of anything. My wife said he has not moved in two days... This is when I told her to weigh him today.

He is in a 12x12x12 with a suspended 25 watt night time lamp in the back left corner. It might be 80 degrees if that in the upper left side, so although the lamp might be drying the cage out fast it is not too hot. Our home stays between 70-75 degrees.

The only thing I could think of to tell her was to remove the lamp completely, and give him a pedialyte sauna (if we have any left from our kid being sick) and if not then use room temperature water for 20-30 minutes each day for the next few days until I get home and to continue misting his cage, and switching out his food.

He ate a cricket earlier in the week but does not seem interested in the CGD so I told her to offer a cricket or two... See if that helps. She says she sees no poop in there after the last 3 days either.

Dont want to give up on the little guy but its not looking good... Any recommendations?