Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mantis?

Thanks

Default Mantis?

Just wondering where you guys get your mantids? Also what are some good first species, that can be kept at room temps? Also if you guys have any tips or things I will need to know to care for them that would be cool?

Thanks
    Logan
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
    1.0.0 Ball Python
    0.0.1 Leopard Gecko - Unknown sex at 4 years old
    0.0.1 Crested Gecko
    0.0.2 Gargoyle Gecko
    1.0.1 Australian Cattle Dog

Thanks

I had a couple mantises I had picked up at a reptile expo last year. They have unfortunately both passed from old age since then.
    <3 Rachel (Kiwi Geckos)
    My iherp
    Bunches of critters.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xxrach View Post
    I had a couple mantises I had picked up at a reptile expo last year. They have unfortunately both passed from old age since then.
    Mantids*.. not mantises....

1.1.0 Leopard Gecko- Gaia and Atia, 1.1.0 African Fat-tailed Geckos- Bubblegum and Draco, 1.1.1 Crested Geckos- Enya, Dimitri, and Ice, 0.0.1 Bearded Dragon- Bracken

Thanks

What is the average life span of a mantis?
    1.1.4 Crested Geckos
    0.1.0 Boxador (1/2 Boxer-1/2 Black Lab)
    0.1.0 Girlfriend who likes my geckos but doesn't understand the obsession.

Thanks

I think the average for most is about 6 months as an adult. Some species can live up to a year tho!
    <3 Rachel (Kiwi Geckos)
    My iherp
    Bunches of critters.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KTyne View Post
    Mantids*.. not mantises....
    You can use either...

Thanks

Mantises sound like you have a stutter.

1.1.0 Leopard Gecko- Gaia and Atia, 1.1.0 African Fat-tailed Geckos- Bubblegum and Draco, 1.1.1 Crested Geckos- Enya, Dimitri, and Ice, 0.0.1 Bearded Dragon- Bracken

Thanks

Both octopi and octopuses are proper plural conjugations of octopus.
    1.1.4 Crested Geckos
    0.1.0 Boxador (1/2 Boxer-1/2 Black Lab)
    0.1.0 Girlfriend who likes my geckos but doesn't understand the obsession.

Thanks

If we want to get all technical, the term mantid is the correct way to refer to all mantids, or members of the (sub)order "Mantodea." The term Mantis is technically limited to members of the genus "Mantis" within this large family."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Larissa Lurid View Post
    If we want to get all technical, the term mantid is the correct way to refer to all mantids, or members of the (sub)order "Mantodea." The term Mantis is technically limited to members of the genus "Mantis" within this large family."
    Even that is ambiguous. If you want to be technical, the only use of "mantis" would be to describe Mantis religiosa. The word however, has evolved in common linguistic terms to include all members of the order "Mantodea". You don't see an Orchid Mantid- rather, an Orchid Mantis.

This has strayed from the original topic somewhat into a pointless English lesson. If the OP is still interested, a mantid's lifespan is heavily factored by temperature and species. Mantids generally live only a year max though, with temperate species dying in the winter and are born in the spring. In addition to restricted feedings, a cool, regulated temperature house can expand this lifespan for much longer due to a slowed metabolism. You may have to do this to breed, since males mature to adulthood much faster than females.

A good first species would probably have to be Mantis religiosa (European Mantis) or Tenodera sinensis (Chinese Mantis). They may actually be harder to get because of how common they are in the wild, but I believe they are exempt from any invasive species laws, are cheap, breed prolifically, and are very easy to care for. I think for this species you will have the best luck finding an ootheca for sale. The hatchlings will feed on fruit flies- D. melanogaster when first hatched, then progress to D. hydei. You can then progress to crickets, houseflies, blue bottles, things you catch, etc.

I used to frequent mantidforum.net . It's a good source of information and a place to meet other enthusiasts.