Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mites?

Thanks

Default mites?

my ball python seems to have black little mites taht look like small ticks that i notice come up in his water bowl every time he gets out.. they just drown..

how do you get rid of these?

Thanks

There is an areosol (sp?) spray called mite away (I think) it's in a lite blue can with a black top. Works great and is very safe when used by the instructions. Chances are, Petsmart and Petco won't have it. We had to get ours at the reptile store. I can't find my husband's bottle to tell you the exact name. When he gets home I'll ask him and if is isn't mite away I'll post the real name. If you can't find it in the stores in your area, I'm sure you can get it online. If all else fails, PM me and I'll give you the webite of our local herp store and they will ship it to you.
    Suzanne
    8.12.10 Crested Gecko
    0.2 Gargoyle Gecko
    1.0 Bearded Dragon
    1.1 cats
    1.1 dogs
    1.2 humans, subadults
    1.0 husband with 30+snakes

Thanks

Go to a pet store and buy you some reptile tick and mite spray. Gently and carfully spray the snake down, avoid him inhaling it. Then you will have to throw out all old bedding, and completly clean the tank. Use the mite spray to kill any mites in the tank. Also you will problable have to repeat this a couple of times, so don't put any bedding back in there (use some newspapers). Please be very fast in dealing with this the snake can become anemic and go down hill very fast after that.
    Good luck!!
    ~Christa~
    Avalon Reptiles

" If all the beasts were gone man would die from loneliness of spirit... for whatever happens to the beast, happens to the man" -Chief Seattle-

Thanks

"Reptile relief" works really well on mites. Treat the snake in a seperate container, and while that's soaking in, completely clean and disinfect his entire tank. Throw out all bedding, soak all his decor in a mild bleach solution (1 part bleach, 10 parts water), then soak in a rinse bucket for 24 hrs, then air dry completely.

For now I'd use paper towels as his "bedding" so you can quickly and efficiently disinfect the cage daily until the mites are gone. The reptile relief is safe to use every 3 days as needed.
    A righteous man does not need a law, and an unrighteous man cannot keep one.

Thanks

I have LOTS of snakes.
    The best way to get rid of them is to use a No Pest strip. You can buy them at Home Depot.

Here is what you need to do.

If your snake is house in an aquarium, good. If not get one.
    Take everything out of the cage and lay down newspaper. DO NOT PUT A WATER BOWL IN!
    Pleace the pest strip on the screen top and cover the entire screen with a towel.
    You will need to leave the pest strip on like this for one week.
    Take it of for one week.
    Put it back on for one week.

Now, since you can't put a water bowl in the cage, you will need to soak your snake every (or every other) day.

I guarantee your snake will not be harmed and you will be mite free.

Oh, if you are using a small aquarium, cut the pest strip in half.

Good Luck!

Thanks

OK, I asked John. I was way off on the name. It's provent-a-mite. works great, not cheap though. Like $16 bucks or something.
    Suzanne
    8.12.10 Crested Gecko
    0.2 Gargoyle Gecko
    1.0 Bearded Dragon
    1.1 cats
    1.1 dogs
    1.2 humans, subadults
    1.0 husband with 30+snakes

Thanks

I always used the Provent a mite, that stuff is awesome. Use it according to the directions though because it's strong stuff!

Thanks

Me too I used provent-a-mite.
    ~Christa~
    Avalon Reptiles

" If all the beasts were gone man would die from loneliness of spirit... for whatever happens to the beast, happens to the man" -Chief Seattle-

Thanks

Here is a little secret on provent a mite. The fact that it is great is not a secret but the fact that it has the same EPA number as a bug spray that is sold in stores is. A buddy of mine gave me a can a while back it worked like a champ and was about $11 bucks cheaper. If only I could remember the brand name.
    "The dead are likely dull fellows, full of tedious complaints - 'the ground's too cold, my gravestone should be larger, why does HE get more worms than I do...'".

Thanks

At my old pet store, we used reptile relief usually, and then in all of our larger tanks we had the no pest strips cut up and placed in delicups with some small holes in them. We kept the stips in the cage for the whole time and would replace every once in awhile and rarely ever had mites.
    ~Moose