Thread: Corn or Hognose?

Thanks

Question Corn or Hognose?

Hey there!

I have two geckos, a Bibron's and a crestie. Rose, my Bibron's, was my first herp about 3 or so years ago. I love her and Zen a ton and spoil them both rotten!
    However, as someone who is still technically a "newbie" to herps, I'm still testing the waters with different species of critter to see what really "clicks" with me.

Which is why as of last month I considered getting a snake! A close friend of my has the sweetest ball python I've ever met, and as much as I love the species in general I just can't see myself owning one. Not yet, anyways.
    After doing a bunch of homework I've narrowed it down to either a corn snake or a hognose, but now I'm having trouble deciding between the two!
    Both are good starter snakes, I've heard, and they're both gorgeous, so I'm asking you guys to help out!

Can you guys lend a hand? Which would be a better starter snake?
    2.1.0 Mixed Cats [Speedy, Ying-Yang, Nyani]
    1.0.0 Crested Gecko [Emperor Zen] {Thank you, Julie!}
    0.0.1 Corn Snake [Lord Penne]
    0.0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa [Sir Byakko]
    R.I.P. Little Ascalon, Queen Rose, and Babykitty.
    Icon: Zen Portrait by my good friend Guggles!

Thanks

I do not have personal experience with corn snakes.

We do have two hognose at work, both females. Both of them are very good eaters and generally very healthy. One is super, super sweet, very calm, pretty much the most awesome snake that ever existed. The other one...is a disaster. She's highly, HIGHLY aggressive. Some days she's handleable - with leather gloves - other days she's not at all handleable, gloves or not. Sometimes for a week she'll be pretty calm, and then all of a sudden she's aggressive again the next day. She does strike, and has tried to strike with an open mouth before (not a closed mouth as they're supposed to). She will even strike at the glass if someone is standing too close. Keep in mind they are venomous. It won't kill you or anything like that, but if they get a good bite in it WILL swell and it WILL be quite painful. With our one snake I'd really be shocked if she ever bit (well, she does get a bit cranky when she's cloudy, but that's to be expected). With the other one, I'm really very surprised nobody has been bitten yet.
    1.0.0 Crested Gecko - The Mighty Jagrafess of the Holy Hadrojassic Maxarodenfoe
    0.1.0 Mouse - Gwyneth
    1.0.0 Smooth Collie - UCh URO1 Moxie's Adamantium Man BN RA CA HIC CGC TT, SD
    1.0.0 Boxer - URO1 Gavroche de la Rue RA CA CGC

The Eclectic Collie

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CollieMonster For This Useful Post:

iNSOMNiAC (02-03-2013)

Thanks

Having worked with both corns and hognose, I prefer hogs. However, I think corns are a better beginner snake. Hognose can be picky feeders, though I personally have never had any issues with mine. If you go that route, just pick a snake that is already feeding on unscented f/t prey. Hognose don't kill rodents well, they tend to just eat them alive, usually butt first for some reason. Personality wise, they are much like any other reptile. Some are super docile, others spazzy. To be honest, I've never seen the behavior that Collie described above. My crankiest just hisses a lot when he's not in the mood to be handled, never strikes with an open mouth. My biggest girl is very food motivated and when she smells food, she will certainly get excited and could easily miss in her haste, but she is not at all aggressive. When there is no food to be had, she's puppy dog tame. While they are rear fanged and do have a toxin, it's more comparable to a bee sting than anything else. If you are allergic, it's quite nasty, but it you aren't, it's not as bad. Also, they have to get a good hold and chew on you for it to be an issue.

In my experience, corn snakes are less fussy with food and more consistent personality wise. They are often nippy as babies, but tame down very quickly with gentle handling. Like with any snake that has a good feeding response, you don't want to stick a hand in their faces while smelling of rodents, but the corns I've worked with have always been pretty docile.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Crestielovely For This Useful Post:

iNSOMNiAC (02-03-2013)

Thanks

I totally agree with Crestielovely! My hognose was great! She was very calm and curious. Howver, she was very picky about food and even got worse.

As cool as they are, I think a corn snake would be a better first snake!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to johnandsarah For This Useful Post:

iNSOMNiAC (02-03-2013)

Thanks

I would definitely rather have a friendly snake I can hand-tame--since Rose can't be handled and Zen is a WIP--so I will likely go corn at this point. I have heard about hog personalities being kind of all over the place, so I'd rather not take the risk.

Thanks guys!

[Not to say I won't get a hoggie in a few years, of course. ;3 ]
    2.1.0 Mixed Cats [Speedy, Ying-Yang, Nyani]
    1.0.0 Crested Gecko [Emperor Zen] {Thank you, Julie!}
    0.0.1 Corn Snake [Lord Penne]
    0.0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa [Sir Byakko]
    R.I.P. Little Ascalon, Queen Rose, and Babykitty.
    Icon: Zen Portrait by my good friend Guggles!

Thanks

I have to agree, corns make the better starter snake. Mine are very friendly and curious, they will crawl all over you, then fall asleep in your shirt. Corns are wonderful if they get handled some nicely as babies.

My hog, mexican, I love dearly, is maybe 18inch or less. His name is Hissy-Spitty. He is the most wonderful rattle snake mimic, always hissing and striking though never touches you. He does calm down after a bit when you take him out but if startled will hiss and spit again. I think they will musk though he never has. They can be fussy eaters.
    Roxanne
    and the zoo
    www.geckoluv.com

Thanks

Have you looked into sand boas at all? Females very rarely get to 3' and can live nicely in a 20g. I have 2 of them and both of them are as mellow as can be.
    3.3.9 Cresties, 1.0 hedgehog, 1.1 cat, 1.0 beardie, 1.1 kbs, 0.4 Lepidodactylus lugubris

Thanks

I have kept both corns and hog for years.. Both are great snakes and always say corns hands down best begginer snakes.. However hoggies are great snakes also. I would say it will come down to your personal preference more then anything.. You can't go wrong with either but maybe you like some of the corn morphs better.. Many to choose from and most under $100. There is quite a few hoggie morphs but they still pricey.. It's hard not to love that adorable hoggie face.. So guess gotta just choose which one like most..
    Jason

http://www.upstateboaspythons.com
    Quality Captive Bred Ball Pythons & Gargoyle Geckos

Facebook

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Littlehizzle View Post
    Have you looked into sand boas at all? Females very rarely get to 3' and can live nicely in a 20g. I have 2 of them and both of them are as mellow as can be.
    I love the look of sand boas ,the anerys and albinos are fantastic but heard you rarely if ever see them other than a bit of the nose sticking out of the substrate.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ReptileMan27 View Post
    I have kept both corns and hog for years.. Both are great snakes and always say corns hands down best begginer snakes.. However hoggies are great snakes also. I would say it will come down to your personal preference more then anything.. You can't go wrong with either but maybe you like some of the corn morphs better.. Many to choose from and most under $100. There is quite a few hoggie morphs but they still pricey.. It's hard not to love that adorable hoggie face.. So guess gotta just choose which one like most..
    We have wild corns in the area and even the wild one's when resting on rafters seem laid back but sadly no unusual morphs like you see for sale, lol.

Name:  corn in gazebo 2.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  60.8 KBName:  corn in gazebo.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  79.5 KB