Thread: Meet Sepsis, my Sumatran Black Blood Python

Thanks

Default Meet Sepsis, my Sumatran Black Blood Python

(Ignore the crappy Petco humidity gauge; it's temporary until my digital one comes in from Amazon)

Sumatran Black Blood or Short Tail pythons are one of the three species that make up the Blood python group. There's the Red Bloods, or p. brongersmai, which are the ones most people think of, and are the largest, and then the Borneo STPs, or p. breitensteini, who are more brown/cream in coloration, and the there's the p. curtus, the Sumatrans, which are predominately black-bodied animals, with either a black or a chrome/yellow head. Sumatrans are also generally the smallest of the group, males in particular.

Sepsis is an '11 hatch, and is just now coming up on 18", so he has a while to go before he hits 4-5ft and is heavy bodied enough to go into a Boaphile/Vision/API cage. He's a very even-tempered snake, and is much more inclined to puff and hiss when stressed rather than bite.
    3.8.0 C. ciliatus , 1.1 G. vittatus , 0.1 G. gekko , 2.0 F. pardalis ambilobe, 1.0 C. calyptratus, 0.1 P. grandis, 1.0 P. curtus

2. The Following User Says Thank You to LCH For This Useful Post:

Sal (02-07-2013)

Thanks

Beauuuutiful! Whered you get him? He's gorgeous. I love bloods, short tails, and sumatrans. My favorite snakes. I have a blood right now, and he's awesome. He's only tried to bite me once, he's generally all talk.

And I use that exact same ceramic dish for my guy hah.

Thanks for sharing!
    "I believe that education is all about being excited about something. Seeing passion and enthusiasm helps push an educational message."-Steve Irwin​

Thanks

Thanks! I got him from an expo, but the breeder is actually a local herp-specialty shop that's well regarded; they don't sell iguanas in KKs or anything like that, and they do educational shows. They gave me a detailed extensive record of his feeding/sheds and showed me his parents, so I felt pretty good about it.

He's a chrome-head, and seems to be darkening up pretty nice. He was actually much more brown as a youngster, so he was cheap!

Post pics of your blood! Is it a brong, breit or curt?
    3.8.0 C. ciliatus , 1.1 G. vittatus , 0.1 G. gekko , 2.0 F. pardalis ambilobe, 1.0 C. calyptratus, 0.1 P. grandis, 1.0 P. curtus

Thanks

He's a brong I got him earlier this year from someone on craigslist, he originally came from Ben Siegal reptiles though. This is the most recent pic I have of him, he's slightly bigger now.

Name:  579039_3902814772731_1104547822_n.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  93.1 KB

I think they are just the coolest snakes! I love the look of them.
    "I believe that education is all about being excited about something. Seeing passion and enthusiasm helps push an educational message."-Steve Irwin​

6. The Following User Says Thank You to leaveittoweaver For This Useful Post:

LCH (02-06-2013)

Thanks

ah, if only i had the room for a blood python...and could persuade my mum. At the slightest mention of the word 'python' the goes psycho.
    2.5.1 leopard geckos, 1.1 bearded dragons, 1.1 crested geckos, 0.1 Madagascar day gecko, 1.1 tokays, 1.0 cave racer, 1.1 corn snakes, 1.1 northern pine snakes, 1.0 royal python, 1.1 Everglades rat snakes, 1.0 gargoyle gecko.

https://www.facebook.com/SwampysReptiles

Thanks

Hahaha, my roommate's girlfriend is the same way, but she came around after seeing how mellow Sepsis is. The worst he's ever done is musk on me, and he hasn't done it since.

He enjoys watching True Blood. I think it's the name.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LCH For This Useful Post:

Sal (02-07-2013),Swampy'sReptiles (02-24-2013)

Thanks

I know this is an older thread but I just have to say Sepsis is an awesome name. Very pretty snake!
    God bless http://www.iherp.com/elbee
    0.2.3 Crested Gecko
    3.3 Ball pythons various morphs
    1.0 Thayeri Kingsnake
    1.0 Hog Island Boa
    0.1 Whites tree Frog