Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Purple Trex, Here is a quick Thread on my bin build I said I would put up

Thanks

Default Purple Trex, Here is a quick Thread on my bin build I said I would put up

First off, here is the finished product. I think I have a total of $85 in this build between the bin, hydro balls, (screen layer was free) 50/50 eco earth and organic potting soild, 3 live plants, a fake plant, two pieces of wood, some zip ties, a Rubbermaid Lay box and the thermostat. The tools needed where.... 1 Dewalt drill and a 7/32 drill bit and a piece of 3M double sided tape.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 357MAGNOLE For This Useful Post:

Purple Trex (01-05-2013)

Thanks

As you can see from the above photos I used the 7/32 drill bit to make a bunch of random holes starting from the top to about 7-8" down. These holes are on the back, and wrap around halfway on the sides. I tried to limit the amount of holes for optimum circulation and humidity control in one. Obviously plenty of holes have been drilled. But from my limited experience I have found holes drilled all around cause humidity to drop to rapidly. The soil and hyrdo balls along with the live plants do a great job of holding humidity throughout the day without it getting to low. It drops to maybe 35-50% which varies. In the evening its around 65%-75%.

I like the way I installed the Thermometer. I used one of the holes, bored it out a tad larger and inserted the thermometer probe on the back side, opposite corner of the tub. I used the drill bit on the support tabs to make slots to put the wire in for a clean look and to keep the wire from hanging or getting in the way.

Thanks

Last but not least was decorating the setup. That was one of your questions, I planted live plants obviously, but I had to find a way to get something towards the top of the tank where they like to hang out. I used a couple zip ties around each end of the wood, then attached a zip tie to that "ring" around the wood and I used that zip tie through the previously drilled holes. I did this on both ends of the wood so I could suspend it from the back side to the front right side corner. I also had to zip tie a part of the plant to keep it still... I used a lighter to melt the ends of the zip ties after clipping so they would be rounded off and non dangerous.

I hope you can see what Im talking about in these photos. I took some time away from my kids this morning to take the photos and load them up, dont think they would appreciate me going off again for more detailed photos. If someone wants more details please ask and I will get to them this evening.

By the way for the record, my two ladies are fired down completely. They where sleeping and not happy I disturbed them for photos... So they look a little plain and dull at the moment.

Thanks

Looks nice. Is there a screened in area on the lid? If not, how're you providing lighting for the plants? (One of my set ups will most likely be a bin and I can't really think of another way to provide adequate lighting other than the screened in top)
    1.0 leopard gecko 0.1 corn snake
    6.11 c.clypeatus 1.0 c.compressus
    iherp

Thanks

With the substrate in the bin, I would be surprised if your girls use the lay box. nice looking set ups!

I picked up similar looking 23 gallon Sterlite tubs this week at Walmart for $11. Love the deals after christmas!
    -Will
    My Facebook
    ôResentment is like drinking a poison and waiting for the other person to die." Carrie Fisher

Thanks

I have had the plants for a couple months with nothing more than ambient lighting in the room. They are not "thriving" but they are not dropping leaves or turning colors either. Holding up strong, growing and spreading roots at what I would consider a normal rate.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WillC View Post
    With the substrate in the bin, I would be surprised if your girls use the lay box. nice looking set ups!

I picked up similar looking 23 gallon Sterlite tubs this week at Walmart for $11. Love the deals after christmas!
    Yeah I had to check my receipt, it was just under $11 and it is 95 quarts which is roughly 23.75 gallons.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WillC View Post

Also, I dont know about where she will lay... The soil, I packed it pretty tight with that in mind and its maybe 3" deep around the base of the plants and about 2" deep everywhere else. The laybox has loose soil/moss mixture thats about 3 1/2" deep and its inside the container so hopefully she feels more secure in it. She spent alot of time in there before moving into this setup.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 357MAGNOLE View Post
    Also, I dont know about where she will lay... The soil, I packed it pretty tight with that in mind and its maybe 3" deep around the base of the plants and about 2" deep everywhere else. The laybox has loose soil/moss mixture thats about 3 1/2" deep and its inside the container so hopefully she feels more secure in it. She spent alot of time in there before moving into this setup.
    What type of moss did you use in the lay box?
    <3 Rachel (Kiwi Geckos)
    My iherp
    Bunches of critters.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xxrach View Post
    What type of moss did you use in the lay box?
    spagnum? It is from zoo med I think. Comes in packed dry bricks that expand like eco earth