Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can someone ID my isopods?

Syn is offline LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO
    Thanks

Default Can someone ID my isopods?

These were found locally and bred to massive proportions over the years.
    I sold lots of 12 at the shows like crazy, but I was unable to tell people much about them, other than the fact they are most likely a local species.
    Ken the bug guy sells them as "Grey iso-pods," I think. Here are two photos. I wish I could get better ones.

Name:  P1190702.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  48.7 KBName:  P1190705.JPG
Views: 35
Size:  92.2 KB

Thanks

pill bugs
    iHerp page the name is daisys_3299

Thanks

I bought some from a local breeder as well, and was told the same - just grey isopods. I'm sure they have a fancy scientific name, but maybe never got the luxury of a generic name? I'm not sure. They're not to common around here, so I never got an answer either.

Thanks

Porcilio Scaber (dwarf grays isopods), possibly?

Thanks

Porcellio scaber is the closest thing I've found other than the "grey isopods."
    I've have people who keep dendrobates ask what species they are, so I was hoping I could tell them next time I vend at a show.

Thanks

Those are definitely pillbugs. I use them in almost all of my tropical tanks. They feed on decaying plant matter, dead insects, feces, etc. They breath through gills, so they can only be successfully used in high humidity or damp substrate. Kept with cresties, they will congregate under a heavy hide or water dish. I honestly have zero poop cleanup when I use these (except for on the glass). Love them!!

Noelle

7. The Following User Says Thank You to rcarichter For This Useful Post:

DerpHerp (01-15-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rcarichter View Post
    Those are definitely pillbugs. I use them in almost all of my tropical tanks. They feed on decaying plant matter, dead insects, feces, etc. They breath through gills, so they can only be successfully used in high humidity or damp substrate. Kept with cresties, they will congregate under a heavy hide or water dish. I honestly have zero poop cleanup when I use these (except for on the glass). Love them!!

Noelle
    Yup! I only keep them in cages I have substrate in, one of my leo tanks has some substrate, decided to test it out. They are always under the water dish!

Thanks

My dwarf grey isopods are smaller than those, so I would just go with grey isopods. Or pill bug, everyone's gotta have a different name for the same thing lol. I need a bigger size up eventually of isopods the dwarfs work great for smaller tanks.
    1.4.0 Leopard Geckos; 6.4.1.4 Crested Geckos; 0.1.0.1 Mourning Geckos; 0.1.0 Creamsicle Corn Snakes;
    0.1 Hedgehog; 0.2 Mice; 1.4 Felines; 1.1 Canines

10. The Following User Says Thank You to kc--leigh For This Useful Post:

Syn (12-14-2012)

Thanks

Understandable. They are a little larger than some of the iso species I've seen. Then again, I've seen some biiiiiiiiiiig ones, too.

Thanks

I have been keeping a culture of dwarf whites after receiving some from a friend, and they're pretty small. They max out around 2-3mm, and I'd imagine the dwarf "grays" have a similar size. They've been fun to keep, just another thing to nurture I guess. My population has been doing well so far, and I've seeded a couple of vivariums when I have plenty of adults. One thing that blew my mind while researching them a couple of months ago after receiving them, is that they're not insects at all, they're actually crustaceans! They're the only crustaceans that don't need a water phase in their lifetime if I remember correctly, and they carry their eggs in a pouch like kangaroos... I love nature =) Anyways, this is the best info I could find about various species for them so far.

http://bugsincyberspace.com/Isopods.html

This is less for you specifically, but for others coming across this and are interested in culturing some, this is a great write up about culture care:

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/foo...ringtails.html

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shutter For This Useful Post:

cassicat4 (12-19-2012),Cinderbird (12-19-2012),Syn (12-19-2012)