Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Uro and new pics!!

Thanks

Default New Uro and new pics!!

Hey a while back I added a brother to my other uro. They have a blast together!! And I'm glad I got another one, and he's a sibling!!!

Here is Jeffery (the new addition )

Gossamer

Them hanging together

Oh they are Uromastyx geyri
    Thanks,
    ~Christa~
    Avalon Reptiles

" If all the beasts were gone man would die from loneliness of spirit... for whatever happens to the beast, happens to the man" -Chief Seattle-

Thanks

wow, they are very beautiful! I always wanted some euros.
    It is truly an upside-down world we live in where lies are truths, criminals are our nationsí leaders, and Satanís minions are considered men of God.

Thanks

Very Pretty , are they ornate uros??

Look nice and healthy
    Derek Dunlop
    DDReptiles
    www.DDReptiles.net
    Croc's Rule- Steve Irwin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DDReptiles View Post
    Very Pretty , are they ornate uros??

Look nice and healthy
    Nope they are Uromastyx geyri.

Thanks They love their veggies!!
    ~Christa~
    Avalon Reptiles

" If all the beasts were gone man would die from loneliness of spirit... for whatever happens to the beast, happens to the man" -Chief Seattle-

Thanks

AWW!! so cute! I want some SSOO bad
    3.6.3 Crested Geckos
    0.0.1 Bearded dragon
    0.2.0 Marbled Crayfish
    0.0.1 Axolotl
    1.1.0 Cats (Lightbulb and Paperclip)

Kazzy's Kritters

My iHerp Page
    Middle TN Exotic Pets Club

Thanks

i saw one of these at my reptile store a couple weeks ago. it was already marked "sold". it was called a uro mali. looked frickin cool. how much do they typically cost?

are they friendly?
    Steve Davis
    www.CraniumDesigns.com
    1.2.1 Cresteds
    1.0.0 Ball Python

"Cresteds are like Tattoos, chips, and beer- One is never enough." - peublan

Thanks

OMG Christa they are so cute! And all that orange- they're going to be AMAZING when they are grown!!

The uromastyx mali you were talking about is actually uromastyx maliensis, common name mali uromastyx.
    They make great pets. The U. geryi that cml has pictured are also known as Saharan uros, sometimes nigerian uros. They're actually from the saharan, and are caught wild there, but some people call them nigerian because that's where they're exported from. Both species are incredibly easy to handle and a lot of fun, but the U. geryi is more colorful. Mali's can get some color but when they grow up are mostly black or dark brown. There are several other species, too, ornates, egyptian, I think 16 species in total. Malis and saharans are the easiest to get ahold of.
    Cranium designs-
    While they do make great pets, I have seen some of your other threads where you were talking about cleaning a cage daily or feeding twice a day being too much work. If you really feel that way then a uro is not for you. They are very docile and fun to handle, but require a lot of care and are not the best beginner herps. They have very specific lighting and temperature needs, (they like it HOT HOT HOT! with a hot spot of over 120 degrees) and need to be fed fresh vegetebles every day. They need very specific UV lighting and are very suceptible to MBD and stress related illnesses if not kept properly. I think they are awesome, but you have to want to take care of them to have them because they will not last long with improper care.
    Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith, I consider a capacity for it terrifying and absolutely vile!
    ~Kurt Vonnegut

Thanks

Thanks Minurva, some times I just want to crawl under their heat lamps with all this cold weather we've been having ;D
    It took me two weeks to tweak the proper lighting and heat for them, but you could tell I wasn't getting it right. After several trips to the pet store looking for the right UV light I think I've got it, and they seem to really be thriving. I actually have fun picking out their veggies at the store. Collards, mustard greens, and for thanksgiving they got sweet potatoes I also blend my own mix of beans, and they always have that in their tank. They are alot of work, but when they are that gosh darn cute and pretty who can resist
    ~Christa~
    Avalon Reptiles

Thanks

NO KIDDING!! Those two are adorable. I had to go to home depot and get another lamp and bulb because with the cold here, I'm unable to keep a good temp for them. I'm probably going to have to do something to close in some more of the screen on the top of the cage. One thing you can do that someone on the uromastyx forum pointed out to me is get a heat bulb made for bathroom fixtures. They're 250 watts and they have thinner glass than a flood lamp, plus a reflective paint on the inside of the bulb so they put off a lot of heat. Then, you buy a dimmer switch that you can plug the lamp into, then plug into the wall. That way you don't ever have to switch out bulbs, if it gets too warm or cool you just dial the dimmer switch down or up a little and *presto* less or more heat! It works really well!
    Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith, I consider a capacity for it terrifying and absolutely vile!
    ~Kurt Vonnegut

Thanks

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to go check that out!
    I too had a problem with the weather getting cold out side and it not staying warm enough at night. I just put an undertank heat tape on them. They seem to like that. But not having to constantly change light bulbs with the weather, that would be nice!!
    ~Christa~
    Avalon Reptiles