Thread: Is she blind?

Thanks

Default Is she blind?

I have a female crested that I have had for about a month now and I can't figure her out. The first thing I noticed was that she holds on tighter than any other gecko that I have. I thought she was just nervous and not used to being handled. Now as I watch her I am afraid she can't see. She walks funny, kind of shuffles around, and she will hit the walls of her enclosure. I really can't tell if she is just high strung and flighty or if she only sees a little and is running scared. How can I tell? Her eyes look fine, she eats cgd and crix. She is alone so I know she is the one eating. She must see a little if she can catch the crix but she doesn't go into that stalking mode like most of my others. I need advice! How do I tell if she can see, if she can't what do I do with her as far as enclosures and breeding? Can sight be a genetic condition or more likely trauma? She's a sweet girl and I want to keep her happy.
    Suzanne
    8.12.10 Crested Gecko
    0.2 Gargoyle Gecko
    1.0 Bearded Dragon
    1.1 cats
    1.1 dogs
    1.2 humans, subadults
    1.0 husband with 30+snakes

Thanks

My guess: she's just nervous. If she can catch crickets, she's not blind. And if she can catch crickets I see no reason to care for her any differently than any other gecko, regardless of the atypical hunting pattern.

Shine a very bright light into her eyes to check for constriction of the pupil (the black part in the middle). If the pupil constricts, she's probably adequately visual. Objective evaluation of her vision past that is going to be very difficult.
    ~Alan

"You know, one of the hardest parts of my job is to connect Iraq to the war on terror."
    President Geo. W Bush in an interview with CBS News, Washington D.C., Sept. 6, 2006

Thanks

also, you havent had her that long. she may still be stressed, adjusting. can take a while sometimes. im guessing u already know that since u own 12 cresteds though.
    Steve Davis
    www.CraniumDesigns.com
    1.2.1 Cresteds
    1.0.0 Ball Python

"Cresteds are like Tattoos, chips, and beer- One is never enough." - peublan

Thanks

It might be a case of MBD.My only female i have has had MBD in the past.And still kind has it.And is comeing over it.And ive noticed,her grip being really strong.And shes dosent seem to balence herself very well.
    Its a possiblity.

Thanks

Thanks Dr. Alan and everyone. My gut feeling was that she could see at least some. I've never had to check vision on an animal with no eyelids! It's easy enough on other animals, move your hand toward their eye and see if they wince. That won't work with the geckos. I have given her a different hide and she is going in it better than the first. Hopefully that will reduce her stress and she will calm down soon. She's a cute girl, nothing special in pattern, just sweet. Thanks again.
    Suzanne
    8.12.10 Crested Gecko
    0.2 Gargoyle Gecko
    1.0 Bearded Dragon
    1.1 cats
    1.1 dogs
    1.2 humans, subadults
    1.0 husband with 30+snakes