Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Lizard" the leo

Thanks

Default "Lizard" the leo

I finally got around to taking more recent pics of Lizard and thought I'd share. Especially since when I went to pick him up, he did a nose dive into the floor of his tank (a few inches from my hand). I'm feeling really guilty about that as it was definitely my fault. He seems OK but...

He's about 3 years old.
    1.0 leopard gecko 0.1 corn snake
    6.11 c.clypeatus 1.0 c.compressus
    iherp

Thanks

Awww, he's so big and chunky! I like his 3 spots right in the middle of his back. :P

1.1.0 Leopard Gecko- Gaia and Atia, 1.1.0 African Fat-tailed Geckos- Bubblegum and Draco, 1.1.1 Crested Geckos- Enya, Dimitri, and Ice, 0.0.1 Bearded Dragon- Bracken

Thanks

Thanks. Do you think he looks too big and chunky? I was a little worried about that.
    iherp

Thanks

If he gains any more weight I'd be worried but I think he looks fine right now, doesn't look TOO too big. Males are chunkier than Females anyways; in bone structure and weight.

1.1.0 Leopard Gecko- Gaia and Atia, 1.1.0 African Fat-tailed Geckos- Bubblegum and Draco, 1.1.1 Crested Geckos- Enya, Dimitri, and Ice, 0.0.1 Bearded Dragon- Bracken

5. The Following User Says Thank You to KTyne For This Useful Post:

CallaLily (11-08-2012)

Thanks

Wow, he's a hefty boy! Very pretty though.

Do you know how much he weighs? He does look a bit on the chunky side, but that can be due to numerous things, sometimes just genetics. How much and how often do you feed him? And does he have any Giant in him?

When he walks, can he do so without dragging his belly on the ground?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to cassicat4 For This Useful Post:

CallaLily (11-08-2012)

Thanks

He was 76g when I weighed him in September. I probably should weigh him again. I feed him 2-3x a week, crickets or mealworms dusted with calcium w/d3 one or two of those feedings and occasionally with a multivitamin. We offer 10-12 mealworms OR like 8 or so crickets. He usually eats all the mealworms but only about 1/2 to 3/4 of the crickets. He walks without dragging his belly. I'm not sure about the giant part. I got him from petsmart. He's probably about 10 inches (with tail, my husband's guess).
    iherp

Thanks

Thinking about it some I'd guess more like 8-9 inches from nose to tip of his tail.
    iherp

Thanks

I'd say he's definitely a bit more than 76g...my one female is 84g and looks a bit smaller than yours.

Nothing you've indicated gives really any reason for why he's as big as he is...his diet and supplements sound good...so it could just be genetics.

How much moving around does he do in his enclosure? And what size of enclosure is he in? I've seen some Leos get big on a healthy diet simply because they have nowhere to go and therefore can't burn off the excess fat.

I would only really get concerned if you notice any health conditions associated with his size...for e.g. heavy breathing/rasping, dragging his belly on the ground, unable to raise himself up off the ground...stuff like that. Just like people, some geckos are just naturally healthily larger. Unless and until that happens, I would just enjoy your big boy.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to cassicat4 For This Useful Post:

CallaLily (11-08-2012)

Thanks

He's in a 20 gallon long. I've thought about upgrading before. Do you think I should? He is fairly lazy. Loves his humid hide but does come out around 9 or 10 (when the house quiets down)but usually just to check his dish or maybe get a drink. Then he just sort of picks a spot and chills until he decides to head back to his hide. Ambient air temps are upper 70s on the cool side and 80+ on the warm side (hide temp is warmer around mid to upper 80s).
    iherp

Thanks

When you have him out of his tank, does he like to move around and explore?

I'd say it's entirely up to you based on what you think would work for your gecko.

For me, I'm planning on upgrading my one female to a 25g or 30g simply because she's very active and I feel she's limited by her space (she's in a 20g as well) plus she's a bit on the big side, so she could use the exercise. My male, however, is very lazy and reclusive so he'll stay in his 20g (they're housed separately) as I don't think he'd utilize the extra space, and it may actually stress him to be in something larger.

If you feel upgrading would benefit your gecko, then I'd say go for it! Otherwise, he's already in the recommended size enclosure for Leos so there'd be absolutely nothing wrong with keeping him in it.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to cassicat4 For This Useful Post:

CallaLily (11-08-2012)