Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leopard gecko, bad shed in eye

Thanks

Default Leopard gecko, bad shed in eye

Well, first off, I have had Leopards before...We got this one for our son at Tinley, from a vendor who marked it down to $20 'for the boy' so to speak...I noticed when I got home his left eye looked wierd...And he hunted poorly.
    The seller told me to provide some soaks, a humid hide for the next molt etc. I used a take out food container with paper towels and a little door. It didn't help, retains skin on the top of his head...
    Now both eyes look bad. I have had him in the sink for 30 minutes so far and have been able to Q-tip his 'helmet of skin off' but it didnt help with the retained eye caps...
    He looks terrible, I feel bad for him. We havent even had him a month yet....
    Any suggestions for drops or anything?
    Tony

Thanks

Do you have a picture of your gecko?

Was the gecko shedding when you bought him? Or was it retained from a prior shed?

And did he have retained shed on his other eye as well and it just wasn't affecting him? Or is this new?

It almost sounds to me like there's something else going on with this gecko other than shedding problems. A picture will help though.

If it's just retained shed, you can try using a little bit of mineral oil (avoid getting it in his eyes) to rub on the shed with a Q-tip. This will often loosen up really tough skin (I've used it on both my bearded dragon and water dragon with success).

What are your temps in his enclosure? What have you been feeding him/supplementing him? What kind of lighting are you using? And what substrate?

Even setups that have worked fine with Leos in the past can pose a problem to other Leos just because every gecko is different, both in terms of behavior/temperament and tolerance.

Thanks

Not shedding when I bought him though when I got him housed I noticed the left eye 'wasnt right' . After a shed or two his right eye has gotten bad....
    Temp overall is low 70's with low 90's in the one hide (temp gun) .
    feeding primarily mealworms in a bowl with some 'dust'. Substrate is some sort of sand I picked up at the Tinley show...per the sellers experience...

Thanks

Off the top of my head, there could be a few things:

1) The sand could be getting in the gecko's eyes and irritating them,
    2) certain types of lighting can irritate their eyes,
    3) all prey needs to be dusted with calcium with D3 (every other feeding for hatchlings/juveniles, and once-twice a week for adults) as well as a multivitamin supplement once a week...if either of these are absent or lacking, vitamin deficiencies can cause all sorts of health problems, including eyesight issues (which is one of the first symptoms of Vitamin A deficiency I believe). Untreated, deficiencies will kill your gecko over time.
    4) Insufficient humidity is aggravating prior problematic retained skin, or contributing to current shed problems. If you aren't already, ensure you are misting the humid hide daily and leave it in his enclosure at all times. Some Leos will use it even when not shedding. If that doesn't seem to help, a quick sauna or bath the night of a shed will also help them shed easier. Improper temps can also contribute to humidity problems - cool end should be in the high 70s, warm end in the high 80s, with a basking spot/hide of around 90F.

I'm personally against using ingestible substrate for Leos as it poses a huge impaction risk. These guys lick everything in their environment to explore, and sand will build up in their system over time. Calci-sand (which I'm guessing is the kind you were advised) is especially bad, as it contains calcium which Leos will lick if they feel deficient (these geckos should always have a bowl of calcium in their enclosure at all times which they will lick from when they feel they need it). Some people will house their adults on sand/soil without issue, and that's your prerogative if you so choose, but hatchlings/juveniles should never be housed on it. Stick with paper towel, reptile carpet, or slate/tile.

Thanks

I ditched the sand, although now I have no idea what temp will be reached in his hot hide with only 6 layers of paper towel. Heat gun is at work.
    The other 'tupperware' hide is paper towel lined and kept moist, to give him choices. I will also start soaking him a couple times a day until the weekend.
    His right eye is half open now.

Thanks

time for a vet, swabbing the eye, daily soaks..nothing has helped the eyes...now he has shed again and after shedding early this AM his head is still 100% covered...

Thanks

He may ave several stuck sheds.

Thanks

Yeah if his eye is half open I'd take him to the vet

Thanks

so I took him to a vet...$25 fecal exam ( I have to mail it in) and $20 of an antibiotic that came in a clear jar and looks like water ...
    And I still have an increasingly lethargic squinty eyed gecko.... His left eye is half open-able , after a 20 minute soak.... It still wont hunt and
    isnt responsive to hand feeding. And now appears to be heading into another shed....I changed hides so now it is forced into a smaller tupperware
    type container that has paper towels and is pretty dam humid....And right near the warm spot too...
    The fecal matter looks kinda normal but what do i know of parasitized fecal samples...
    Getting more frustrated especially after going to a "pro"....He also told me they dont have eye caps....I dont know if a retained shed is referred to as an eye cap
    by us lay people and isnt technically truly an "eye cap" in the strict DVM sense, or if he is mistaken.
    He has the degree, I give him the room to diagnose...so far though, zilch.

Thanks

Yeah a stuck shed on the eye is an eye cap