Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Dubia growth rates?

Thanks

one is a 66 quart and the other is bigger, about 80. If I pull out all the egg crate and shake the roaches into the bin I end up with about 5" deep in roaches.

Thanks

I have been thinking about switching to roaches and seeing how they will benefit from the CGD leftovers is excellent, I hate throwing it out! Will crickets eat the old CGD from my Cresties too? I will have to see if my jewels like dubias' then create a colony! More adventures in jumpinjewels land!

Thanks

One thing I wish I would have done differently with my roach colony is to have deeper and longer Sterilite containers. I have two 66 quart containers, one inside the other with several 1 inch thick bricks in the bottom of the outer shell to prevent tip-overs, and an Ultratherm heating pad between the containers & under the bricks. The whole setup is wrapped with insulation and located in our basement.

I just switched from supermarket style egg cartons laid horizontally to glued-together pairs of restaurant style cardboard egg flats aligned vertically. The vertical arrangement makes for much easier frass clean-out (versus a nightmarish clean-out of my original setup). Unfortunately I lose sleep at night thinking how little vertical space there is between the top of the egg flats and the rim of the Sterilite container; I wake up with crawly feelings on my legs. Also, cleaning & replenishing food bins is a pain with the vertical arrangement due to cramping at the sustenance end of the Sterilite container. Previously I just put the food and water trays on top of the egg cartons, so there was never a problem with cramping but over time it got to be a soggy mess. I think an 80+ quart deep Sterilite container would have been a better choice. I see 110 quart containers in the stores but those aren't deep enough for good peace-of-mind.

We don't have anywhere near the population of roaches Pleh describes. Still, I foresee a day when crowding becomes an issue. Efficiency of clean-out (especially outdoors during cold weather) trumps any inconvenience from inserting and removing food trays or refreshing the water trough. It would be nice to have maximum convenience for both cleanout and food tray replacement.

Thanks

I hang the heat pad inside the container with egg crate directly against it. Production skyrocketed when I did that. The screen in the bottom of the inner tub prevents the buildup of feces that ends up getting damp and nasty. Keepinig it all dry makes care so much easier. See my post about making food/water bins out of ventilation grate. All I do is top them off with pellets and gel and six months later they look the same as they did when I put them in.

Thanks

Your DIY thread is very helpful!

http://www.pangeareptile.com/forums/...tilation+grate

I am curious how you separate nymphs from the frass that falls into the bottom bucket? Maybe a kitty litter scoop or a reptile substrate scoop, or do you have a better system?

Do you try to move nymphs out of the breeder colony often? I've read too many nymphs can suppress breeding activity; same for too many senile dubias.

Thanks

I put all the frass in another tub with some egg crate and then periodically shake the nymphs that crawl on them into the breeder tub. If I was in a hurry to get them separated I'd put a small heat pad inbetween the crate and put the tub in a cold room- the nymphs should all get on the crate and near the heat pretty quickly.

I haven't worried about doing any separating other than selling off or separating some to feed. I pulled another 3000 out tonight.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pleh View Post
    I hang the heat pad inside the container with egg crate directly against it. Production skyrocketed when I did that.
    I see what you mean about putting the heat closer to the dubias. I thought about doing that, but I couldn't think of a guaranteed strategy to keep them from crawling up the cord and out of the container... maybe Vaseline on the cord? Exterminators are expensive and quality sleep is priceless.

I'm raising dubias to feed two juvenile crested geckos so there's no need to pull thousands of roaches out. I'll probably end up giving away extra subadults to a local pet store. I'm looking for convenience and reliability. Your food and water bins look great.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WildMidwest View Post
    I see what you mean about putting the heat closer to the dubias. I thought about doing that, but I couldn't think of a guaranteed strategy to keep them from crawling up the cord and out of the container... maybe Vaseline on the cord? Exterminators are expensive and quality sleep is priceless.

I'm raising dubias to feed two juvenile crested geckos so there's no need to pull thousands of roaches out. I'll probably end up giving away extra subadults to a local pet store. I'm looking for convenience and reliability. Your food and water bins look great.
    I've done it two different ways- one is to drill or melt a hole in the side of the bin, run the cord through it, and then fill it in with hot glue. The other is to drill or melt a hole, hot glue an extension cord outlet over it, then plug in the heat pad into it from the inside through the hole.

Our worries about escapees has vanished. They get so lethargic at room temperatures that they hardly move from where they fall. I knocked over a sorting tub a while ago and dumped a few hundred onto the floor in the reptile/laundry room. A towel with a cap of old CGD under it caught all the missed ones the first night.

And before you give them away, check to see if they will buy them first.

Thanks

I originally put the idea of hole-drilling aside because of imagined cleanup hassles, but maybe an extension cord mostly located outside the tub wouldn't be too bad. I'll have to think about it some more.

My nervousness about everything-roach related is improving slowly with time, but a tip-over like you described would be P.R. disaster. My wife would spout about it to everyone for years, and even if every last roach was accounted for — which wouldn't be possible — there would be no peace in our home and my reputation would be shot. A roach bin tip-over would definitely end our roach keeping adventures and it would probably end gecko keeping. Must not go there!