Thread: Hermit Crabs

Thanks

Default Hermit Crabs

Does anybody here have experience with hermit crabs? If so, how are they? Are they good pets? Are they easy to care for? Thank you!

Thanks

I had hermit crabs for about five years. Kept many different ones in a 55 gallon. Always on the hunt for the different colors/breeds. The different breeds (if that is the right word) did show different personalities so to speak. The humidity requirements are high and you need to make sure you have enough sand for them to dig down in and enough shells to change into. Out of those three things then the rest is rather simple. Mine loved popcorn since no nutrition just for the treat value, cooked beef and turkey, watermelon and a few other staples right out of my kitchen. They definitely received a fresh food diet every night. I sort of miss them sometimes because I did feel they were cool pets to have. No misting or anything is your humidity is correct. The sand is the key. I also had a section of water and a section of eco earth and some small sections of eco earth. There was a hermit crab forum I was a part of as well. I hope this info was helpful.

Thanks

Okay, thank you. Do they need heat?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BeardedDragonGirl View Post
    Okay, thank you. Do they need heat?
    Depends on the temp of where you live. They need the heat between 70-80 though.
    "I believe that education is all about being excited about something. Seeing passion and enthusiasm helps push an educational message."-Steve Irwin​

Thanks

Okay... almost done with the questions. Just three more! 1. Which way is better for heating a 20 gallon crabitat, an undertank heater or a heat lamp? 2. Which would be easier to keep more humid- a large critter keeper or a 20 gallon tank without a glass lid? 3. Can I use painted shells and why?

Thanks

Ehh you probably don't need this any more but most HC species need heat around 80% and higher humidity. You can use either heat source but the but the UTH on the side of the tank instead of underneath. Either container will work, but you'll need a lid of some sort to keep the humidity high enough. Plus HC are realllly good climbers and very curious and can use the silicone in tanks edges to climb out of the tanks.

The biggest issue with painted shells is the HC are often forced into them and often when the paint is wet. It can cause health issues when that happens. Plus most shells are painted with what ever is cheapest and Hermies will chip of the paint and eat it. Over all painted shells are just a bad idea. You can get some really cool carved one though out there.

Thanks

I would use a light (my house is at 75 degrees thats why if your house is colder I would go for a UTH) and you need to get more than one hermit crab they need buddies to be happy. Check out the hermit crab association website they have a ton of info. HC need both salt water and fresh water. with the two dishes and misting daily shoul keep the humidity up. I've had an escapie before so a lid is a necessity. Try buying a bulk pack of shells from a craft store and clean them each crab needs a selection of three shells, one larger, one smaller, and one the same size. They like to hop shells all the time. They also molt which is why substrat at least 6in deep if I remember, so if one crab dissapears one day don't be alarmed. They bury themselves for a while (mines currently at week 5) and come back up all fresh and new and will regrow any damaged limbs . Some of this info maybe out date so check with some other websites, they are entertaining to watch and get out and they like to mesh up their tank.
    1.4.0 Leopard Geckos; 6.4.1.4 Crested Geckos; 0.1.0.1 Mourning Geckos; 0.1.0 Creamsicle Corn Snakes;
    0.1 Hedgehog; 0.2 Mice; 1.4 Felines; 1.1 Canines

Thanks

You should really go check out the Hermit Crab Association. These are very complicated and relatively difficult crustaceans to keep, and I would not recommend them as an easy pet. They live for more that 40 years if kept properly and are a HUGE investment. I keep them seriously and have 5 different species (C. Violascenes, C. Rugosus, C. Clypeatus, C. Compressus, C. Bremivanus).
    They MUST be kept at 80 degreed F and 80+ percent humidity. 80/80 is your idea. You need specifically shells of the species turbo and a few murex with about 5 shells in the same size range for each crab. You will need more than one crab and a minimum enclosure size for a crab will be 10 gallons. You should go with 5 gallons per crab as a base for small-medium crabs.
    You will need sand castle consistency playsand or aquarium sand (NO GRAVEL) or eco earth (coconut fiber) or a mix of sand and EE. It needs to be at LEAST 6-8 inches deep. You need marine grade salt water and dechlorinated freshwater.
    They need a varied diet with protein, calcium, and everything in between. Fresh is always best.
    They need lots of hiding places and climbing material. They do well with lamps or heating mats but the UTHs should be placed on the side of the tank ABOVE the substrate.
    These are much more complicated to keep than any fish or reptile, in my opinion. They are easily stressed and should be handled minimally. They could be equated with keeping poison dart frogs except are much more involved expecially with how they interact in a colony. I currently have 17 crabs in a 75 gallon and two in a 10 (iso tank-which you will need as well). Your tank will need to have a glass lid or aquarium style lid so that it keeps in humidity.

Name:  photo-20.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  88.5 KB