Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to get my Leopard gecko to stop being a jerk.....

Thanks

Default How to get my Leopard gecko to stop being a jerk.....

I got a baby leopard gecko a few weeks ago and this thing screams and bites if I try to pick him/her up? What gives?! This is my first Leo but not my first lizard and I have never had one try to bite me before. Do you have any tips for getting it used to handling? Will it hate me forever and ever? Is there anyway I can condition it to think that if I hold it that it gets treats or something? Thank you for your help! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	250467_289481324494936_642866180_n.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	61.3 KB 
ID:	33143
    Also, does anyone know what morph this is?

Thanks

Baby Leos are feisty and moody. I'd keep handling to a minimum until your Leo is at least a few months old if not older because they are also prone to dropping their tails way easier when babies.
    Nothing wrong with your Leo, he'll calm down as he gets older.

1.1.0 Leopard Gecko- Gaia and Atia, 1.1.0 African Fat-tailed Geckos- Bubblegum and Draco, 1.1.1 Crested Geckos- Enya, Dimitri, and Ice, 0.0.1 Bearded Dragon- Bracken

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KTyne For This Useful Post:

BabylonNinja (10-23-2012),Chassity3 (10-23-2012)

Thanks

How do you go about handling your leo? Do you pull him from a hide or expose him? Do you pick him up when he's out and about? When you have him in your hands, do you just hold him, or let him do the hand walking?

When you do want to handle your leo, I suggest you try offering your hand and let the Leo get used to your scent first. See if he'll come up to you and lick it or explore. See if your leo will also willingly walk onto your hand instead of you grabbing him. If you do need to pick him up, don't approach your leo from above, as this is what predators do. Approach your leo from the side where he can see you coming.

You could try offering food by hand to see if he'll take it. This can help build trust.

Some leos are more skittish/moodier/less handleable by nature than others. Then there are some that just need to learn to trust you and realize you are not going to hurt them.

My male was very much like yours when I first got him. He settled down with frequent handling and no longer bites or screams. While I was never able to convince him to walk onto my hand, he would come over and lick and explore my hand before I would pick him up. However, he's still not a big fan of handling, and will make his annoyed noises when I do have him out if I don't let him go exactly where he wants to go. He's a recluse as well - the only time I ever see him leave his hide is for feeding. With him, I've learned that his behaviors are very much nature, so out of respect, once I gained his trust, I would no longer handle him daily as it's just not something he really enjoys.

Give your leo some time...as he's young, and you haven't had him for very long, it's too early to tell whether he's naturally going to be a spaz, or whether it's still part of his adjustment/getting-to-know-you period.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cassicat4 For This Useful Post:

Chassity3 (10-23-2012)

Thanks

Wow! Thank you so much for the information! It's good to know someone else had gone through this too! I appreciate that you took the time to answer.

Thanks

Not a problem. Good luck with your Leo, he's very cute. Sorry, I missed your morph question, but your Leo appears to be a Snow or possibly, depending on where you purchased him and for how much, could be a Super Snow (it's hard to distinguish between the two at this age, and price/location are generally better indicators).

Thanks

Oh wow! Thanks!

Thanks

I bought him at Petco where I work because I had never seen them black and white. What would the difference be between a Snow and a Super Snow? I have heard of a "Mack Snow" too.

Thanks

Cassi gave you some great advice on how to get your Leo used to you and handle him. My Leo, Gaia, was a spazoid when I first got her and would squirm like a banshee if I tried to pick her up. Once I had her in my hand and let her hand walk she would calm down.
    Now that's she over a year old she's much calmer and I can just go and grab her out of her tank, although I always have to let her know I'm there first and let her sniff me/check me out before I scoop her up from underneath.
    Get to know your baby's body language and you'll know when they're comfortable and ready to be picked up. If your Leo is being super still and just looking at your hand then they are scared/wary and frozen and you shouldn't try to pick them up yet until they come over to at least check you out.
    Gaia tells me to back off by either running away or wagging her tail at me. If your Leo ever starts to wag their tail back off right away until they stop.

Good luck with your little one!

1.1.0 Leopard Gecko- Gaia and Atia, 1.1.0 African Fat-tailed Geckos- Bubblegum and Draco, 1.1.1 Crested Geckos- Enya, Dimitri, and Ice, 0.0.1 Bearded Dragon- Bracken

Thanks

Then he's likely a Snow. Sorry, I meant Mack Snow, not Super (I'm still sleeping, apparently ). Super snows are black and white when young with pure black eyes, and grow to be solid white with black spotting. These are breeder-quality geckos and I don't think you'd ever find one at a pet store.

Appearance-wise, it's impossible to distinguish the difference between a Snow and Mack Snow when they're young. The difference between Snow and Mack Snow is how they develop - Snows generally retain a more dominant yellow pigmenting than Mack Snows as adults. Mack Snows also sell for quite a bit more than snows due to their genetics, so you're unlikely to find one from a pet store.

As an example:

First pic is my male Leo, a Snow:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Loki1.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	33156

Second pic is not mine, but it's an example of a Mack Snow:

Name:  images.jpg
Views: 2705
Size:  7.7 KB

Credit link.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to cassicat4 For This Useful Post:

Chassity3 (10-23-2012)

Thanks

Great thread! What do you do about a Leopard gecko that lunges at you & attacks whether you are trying to handle them or not? One of my son's Leopards,
    Eclipse

is a mean girl, she will lunge & attack as soon as I open her tank to feed her, spot clean or change her water. I won't even allow him to handle her yet (he's only 11) since I'm afraid that if she went after him he would drop her & I'd like to attempt to tame her a bit before she turns him 'off' to having her as his pet. I've not even tried to take her out of her tank yet or handle her just because of how aggressive she is when just going into her tank. She's very active & curious, but as soon as she sees me she lunges, as in throws herself at me from where ever she is & tries to bite, any ideas on how to get her chill out a bit? Thankfully our other Leopard is a complete sweetheart so at least he is able to hold her occasionally, but I'm afraid that if Eclipse bit him he might become afraid & not want to have anything to do with either of them. The poor kid saved up for months to be able to buy her all by himself & now he just looks longingly at her & asks me if she'll ever like him. Even if he can't ever really hold her, I would at least like him to be able to reach into her tank to feed/water her without being attacked. I've thought about getting a sign that says 'forget the dogs, beware of gecko', but I don't want to encourage her, lol.
    4.1 Dogs: Baringer, Riesling, Trunks, Tebow & Dante 1.0 Sulcata: Cavin 1.1 KSB: Mordecei & P.B. 2.2.6 Gargoyles: Venture, Triana, LSP, Nyx, 21 & 24 0.2 Leopard Geckos: Videl & Eclipse 1. 0AFT: Rigby 7.7.19 Cresties: Ghost, Drayven, Morzan, Jelly, Esme, Peach, Marcelene, Ino, Chi, Haven, Tsunade, Senju, Cinna, Tribute, Jiraya, Iruka, Kurama, Seelie, Kushina, Tada & Iyrony 1.0 Short Tailed Opossum: Daubie

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Untaimed For This Useful Post:

Chassity3 (10-23-2012)