Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Discoid roaches: What is this? (pics)

Thanks

I asked my bro last night, he said he tries to keep the temp warm, upper 80's in an area, with high humidity. He says the slugs could also be from not enough adult males in your colony.
    C. ciliatus 3.6.36.24 D. leucomelas 0.0.4 Furcifir pardalis 1.0 living with 3.6 Bufo marinus 0.2 R. leachianus 0.1 Batrachomoeus trispinosus 0.0.1 (and 1.0 Pug)

www.AllStarGeckos.com
    www.ChameleonAddict.com
    Facebook Page

Thanks

The cases felt and looked like there was still something in it and I still have no babies yet but I did see a female (through the side of the tub) that was pushing out another case a few days after I added the heat mat. I didn't watch long enough to look and see if she deposited it or if she pulled it back in. How long does it normally take to see babies after they push it out and turn it and pull it back in?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gecko Girl View Post
    The cases felt and looked like there was still something in it and I still have no babies yet but I did see a female (through the side of the tub) that was pushing out another case a few days after I added the heat mat. I didn't watch long enough to look and see if she deposited it or if she pulled it back in. How long does it normally take to see babies after they push it out and turn it and pull it back in?
    You should be able to see them emerge if you're watching. With dubia, the babies will be white and very small. Within a few hours their exoskeletons will harden and they'll be tiny and dark.

Thanks

Sorry I think I worded that funny. What I meant was I had read that they push out the casing, turn it and then pull it back in before the babies are developed. How long after they pull it back in do they finally hatch out?

Thanks

Rather than make a new thread I figured I'd just update this one since it's still on the first page. I've had these guys for months now and I'm still only finding these egg cases and no babies. I know I've seen them breeding or at least I'm pretty sure it was breeding (connected by their back ends). Still no luck with babies though and I'm really stumped. I did put a heat mat under them, I've tried feeding lots of oranges since I read somewhere that it can stimulate breeding but no luck. I'm going to try misting more often to bump up the humidity and maybe add a heat lamp while still keeping the heat mat on the bottom. There has been very very few that died so they seem to be living fine just not breeding. Figures, the easiest thing in the world to breed or kill and I can't get them to breed jeez.......

Thanks

Don't mist them, the humidity needs to be higher than average, but misting can cause you issues with mold. Mold will kill your bugs. MAKE SURE you give only enough oranges that they can actually eat. Left over fruit will MOLD. I've had this problem before (with oranges) you need to be careful. Give them a piece of potato or a dish of hydrated water crystals, put the dish over or near the heat pad. A light will stress them. A dark, warm, humid environment is their favorite.

Can you describe your set up exactly, or better yet, take some pictures.

Thanks

So last night I went to mist their enclosure (hadn't read your post yet Cinderbird) and when I opened the lid I saw little dots scurrying around. I grabbed my flashlight thinking I was going to find some kind of weird invasion of my roach bin but alas it was FINALLY baby roaches! Never thought I would be so super excited to see the little boogers. So, just to clarify, I didn't add any light. I was going to if the more frequent misting didn't work but I assumed roaches prefer it dark. Only thing I changed was that I misted their enclosure more often. I haven't had any issues with mold (yet). It actually dries out quite quickly probably due to having them in a large enclosure with almost full screen top so if it gets them to breed I'll continue it. I do take care not to mist on their food though so I would assume it should be ok. Hopefully they'll continue to breed for me sheesh what a pain!

Thanks

Is it weird of me to say that baby discoids are much cuter than baby dubia? I had a colony for a couple of years, but decided I just didn't need that many different types of feeder roaches.
    Gary Hamann
    Ridge and Valley Reptiles

www.ridgeandvalleyreptiles.com

Thanks

It took me about 6 months to get my dubia colony producing enough to start feeding off of it. Now my Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches, those suckers took almost a year, and My E. Javanica were about the same. I had the Madagascars in an opaque sterilite for a while and once I moved them to a black one- BOOM! Dark and warm and they will breed like...well, cockroaches