Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Discoid roaches: What is this? (pics)

Thanks

Default Discoid roaches: What is this? (pics)

*Note* for some reason this had been posted in the trade section and I don't see any option to delete it or move it when I edit the post so if a mod could delete that thread for me it would be much appreciated.*

Well I was getting ready to feed the roaches today and I found these 2 things I almost mistook for a huge mealworm until I got a closer look at it lol. I thought that discoids gave birth to live babies and that they had an egg sack and the babies popped out and then she withdrew it back in. If that's the case then what are these things?Name:  012.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  72.7 KBName:  013.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  72.1 KB

Thanks

It's either a premature ootheca or a discarded one. An ootheca is the egg case, all the little bitty roach eggs or nymphs hop off or out of that when the female releases it.

Female roaches can discard the ootheca if they are stressed or disturbed during laying or birth (some species lay eggs, some species give live birth). Sometimes they'll expel them for no reason whatsoever. Double check your husbandry for them, if everything is ok it may just be a freak thing, but if temps are too high or low the females will stress.

Thanks

There are 2 of them (I'm guessing from 2 different females?) so it couldn't be a coincidence. Has to be something I did wrong if 2 of them did this. The only time I really disturb the tub is to put in new food. Humidity is pretty stable at 60% (I do not spray the tub but they do have moisture available). Temps are just room temp about 73. Maybe I should add a heat light to them? I have never had these before so it could very well be my husbandry. I'm just not sure yet what it is that I'm doing wrong. Any advice on what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gecko Girl View Post
    There are 2 of them (I'm guessing from 2 different females?) so it couldn't be a coincidence. Has to be something I did wrong if 2 of them did this. The only time I really disturb the tub is to put in new food. Humidity is pretty stable at 60% (I do not spray the tub but they do have moisture available). Temps are just room temp about 73. Maybe I should add a heat light to them? I have never had these before so it could very well be my husbandry. I'm just not sure yet what it is that I'm doing wrong. Any advice on what I'm doing wrong?
    Do discoids lay eggs or give live birth? How big is your colony? How long have you had them going? Describe your setup. My "expertise" is on dubias, but i'm sure a lot of it crosses over.

Thanks

I guess I just assumed they have live babies the same as dubia. Can't find too much info specific to discoids but they look pretty similar. Colony just started and I started with 300 mixed sized (only 1 adult at the time) and it's only about 29 days old. I bought a brand new sterilite tub for them and cut out the 2 big squares on the top and then used some hot glue to attach the screen. I feed them mostly the older crested gecko diet with the occasional veggies and apples to gut load them. From what I have found about discoids they are apparently more sensitive than dubias about their breeding but other than that I really don't know any difference between the 2.

Thanks

I've been trying to dig up some more info on these. I can't be 100% but the only source I could find said that they give live birth which I would assume is true since dubia are pretty similar. I'm putting a heat pad under them starting tonight to raise temps a bit and hopefully this will help. I had read that they do fine at room temp but just to be sure a little heat won't hurt. I'm assuming that these egg cases are no good then and I should take them out? If anyone else has some experience with these I'd be glad to hear from you.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 799 Posts

I believe discoids are livebearing but I think what this means is that they hatch the ootheca internally instead of just leaving it out somewhere. The pic really looks like an ootheca. Otherwise maybe a cleaner beetle (dermestid) larva molt?
    Specializing in Crested Geckos
    Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
    Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
    Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Thanks

They are live bearing... I have a colony in my basement. My bro is actually has a whole breeding project down there w/5 diff types of roaches. He uses a heat pad on all the tubs. But yeah, that'd be like a "dud" egg. Usually the babies will come out alive on that and then eat it, but a dud will look like that.
    C. ciliatus 3.6.36.24 D. leucomelas 0.0.4 Furcifir pardalis 1.0 living with 3.6 Bufo marinus 0.2 R. leachianus 0.1 Batrachomoeus trispinosus 0.0.1 (and 1.0 Pug)

www.AllStarGeckos.com
    www.ChameleonAddict.com
    Facebook Page

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MrEyebrows For This Useful Post:

Cinderbird (10-13-2012)

Thanks

Thanks for the info! That really kinda sucks since I'll have to buy more roaches now to feed off from. I was kind of banking on these guys giving me some nymphs soon ugh! Oh well, the heat pad is there now and I added in some more egg crate for them for a little more security so hopefully that will help.

Thanks

Ill take a few pictures of my setup. The case, was it empty or solid in the middle? Empty ,means the nymphs left it, solid means they were laid prematurely.