Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Snake

Thanks

To each their own I suppose. I'll stick with the snake stick before handling... thats what we used at the zoo, and its served me well.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Misskiwi67 View Post
    To each their own I suppose.

It's really all about classical conditioning, and establishing a pattern. If you do things the same way every time, the snake (or any other food motivated animal) will pick up on the pattern and associate certain behaviors from you with feeding. If the snake is handled enough regularly outside of feeding it will likely never associate hanling and feeding, because if you feed once every other week, but you handle every day, then the odds of being handled and fed in the same day are 1:14. I don't think they can count days, so you should be safe as long as you keep up a regular routine, either way you do it. Whatever you're most comfortable with is the best, because ultimately being comfortable and confident gives you the upper hand. I personally don't handle my snake anymore, I've gotten used to the idea that she's more for looking and then playing with.
    Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith, I consider a capacity for it terrifying and absolutely vile!
    ~Kurt Vonnegut