Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many crested geckos can I have in a 12x12x18 Exo terra cage?

Thanks

Default How many crested geckos can I have in a 12x12x18 Exo terra cage?

I know they can't be two males but what if its a male and female or two females?

Thanks

One juvenile gecko (imho)

Thanks

A 12"x12"x24" is generally what is recommended for a full-grown adult Gecko kept alone.

1.1.0 Leopard Gecko- Gaia and Atia, 1.1.0 African Fat-tailed Geckos- Bubblegum and Draco, 1.1.1 Crested Geckos- Enya, Dimitri, and Ice, 0.0.1 Bearded Dragon- Bracken

Thanks

A 12x12x18 is an 11.22 gallon tank; it's recommended that you keep an adult in at least 20 gallons. And 18x18x18 would do you a great deal better (~25 gallons) and if you wanted to try your hand at putting two already well established and quarantined adult females together, you could try them in a 18x18x24 (33.66 gal), just be sure t have a back-up tank ready in case they don't get along

Thanks

I have some adults in 12x12x18 cages; a couple of these animals tend to do better in smaller enclosures and will lose weight when bumped up to larger cages. I really pack the greenery and branches in so they are able to utilize the full space adequately.

But definitely only one gecko per a 12x12x18; that size is too small for more than one subadult or adult animal to share.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ShadowKorin For This Useful Post:

Mimmieux (02-17-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowKorin View Post
    I have some adults in 12x12x18 cages; a couple of these animals tend to do better in smaller enclosures and will lose weight when bumped up to larger cages. I really pack the greenery and branches in so they are able to utilize the full space adequately.

But definitely only one gecko per a 12x12x18; that size is too small for more than one subadult or adult animal to share.
    I co-own a male garg that is like that. We ended up trying him out in a semi-opaque sterilite tub that was abouuuut 15 gallons and he started packing on the pounds! He was just too skittish for such a large glass tank

Thanks

It appears the recommendations are to use something larger than 12" x 12" x 18" for a single adult gecko or more.

I have been using just that for what are now a pair of breeding adults since getting as babies last December. I am getting eggs every 25 day's, and they are as healthy as can be. Funny thing is even with that supposed too small enclosure I still have a hard time finding them looking through the glass. They are masters as hiding.

I suppose larger may be better, but I can attest to the cage dimensions above as being adequate for a breeding pair. Plus there is less glass to clean.

Thanks

A young male or a juvenile. I have males that are several years old that would absolutely HATE packing their entire 50 grams of chunk into a tiny 12x12x18. I wouldn't keep an adult in one long-term...
    www.harleygecko.com : Color, Contrast, Structure
    Specializing in Harlequins and Pinstripes in Red, Cream and Yellow
    3.9.20+ crested geckos
    Harley - my first gecko, retired and spoiled
    Pickle - unsexed leachie

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zonata View Post

I suppose larger may be better, but I can attest to the cage dimensions above as being adequate for a breeding pair. Plus there is less glass to clean.
    I keep my pairs in 30 gallon aquariums on their sides. I have a 12x12x18 dart frog terrarium on the shelves between these tanks and when I look at the difference in size, its shocking... to me, keeping a pair in a terrarium that small is nothing short of cruelty. Its the equivalent of feedlots for cattle and farrowing pens for pigs.

Harley (6 year old male) Says "You want me to live where???":
    Last edited by Misskiwi67; 09-28-2012 at 12:21 AM. Reason: added photo for cage size and adult male comparison
    www.harleygecko.com : Color, Contrast, Structure
    Specializing in Harlequins and Pinstripes in Red, Cream and Yellow
    3.9.20+ crested geckos
    Harley - my first gecko, retired and spoiled
    Pickle - unsexed leachie

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Misskiwi67 For This Useful Post:

ciliatus (09-29-2012),leaveittoweaver (02-17-2014),Mimmieux (09-28-2012)

Thanks

12 x 12 x 18 would be good for 1 adult. Great for off season males... if you are keeping it as an all the time cage you would need to really have lots of things to climb on. It is often said the minimum is a 10 gallon for 1 adult, but most recommend much larger. If you can't afford more than a 12 x 12 x 18, then go with a tub! More room for less $$. But even though a pair can live in there, and maybe even reproduce, doesn't mean they should.
    C. ciliatus 3.6.36.24 D. leucomelas 0.0.4 Furcifir pardalis 1.0 living with 3.6 Bufo marinus 0.2 R. leachianus 0.1 Batrachomoeus trispinosus 0.0.1 (and 1.0 Pug)

www.AllStarGeckos.com
    www.ChameleonAddict.com
    Facebook Page