Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Numerous horrible ZooMed products!?!

Thanks

Default Numerous horrible ZooMed products!?!

So I'm not sure if I just have really bad luck, or if anyone else has encountered the same problems I have with ZooMed....
    So I've been through SIX different ZooMed PowerSun light bulbs in the last 8 months!! They're suppossed to work for a whole year and everyone I get blows out within a month or two! They are pretty dang expensive light bulbs so it really pisses me off. I contacted ZooMed and they sent me a replacement one the first time but since I didn't keep my reciept, their policy is to only replace it once, and not anymore times after that, reguardless of the length of time..
    And I know it's not "me". I take extra good care of my bulbs (as they're so expensive). I don't move them, at all or anything!
    And I know it's not my electicity or outlets or anything because I have these bulbs at my house and my boyfriends house and no matter the location, they all do the same thing!
    Also, the under tank heaters! I've had THREE different ZooMed under tank heaters malfunction!!
    Just on a random day, I touched them and they were literally like a million degrees (they didn't all malfunction on the same day or same location, all different days and different locations).
    I couldn't even touch them! They were so hot, the heater was burning through itself!! Same thing with their return policy, they'll replace it once, but since I didn't keep my reciepts, they can't replace it more than once.
    So I learned a lesson, to start keeping all my reciepts... BUT, reguardless... I'm VERY upset because my reptiles need these lights and heaters and with them malfunctioning all the dang time, my babies could really get hurt, or possibly die!
    Has anyone else had problems with ZooMed products???
    Is there a different, better company anyone recommends??
    Thanks!
    Hi! I'm CarrieAnn
    6.5.6.0 Crested Geckos 0.3.0 Gargoyle Geckos
    1.0 Bearded Dragon 0.0.1 Savannah Monitor
    1.0 Yellow Belly BP 1.0 Chihuahua
    & a 5 year old daughter <3

Thanks

Just using myself as comparison, I'd say you have really bad luck!

I personally can't think of any products of theirs that I've ever had a problem with. I could just be very lucky, but I am grateful. For example, I have the ZooMed ReptiFogger and tons of reviews have told me that many people have serious problems with their lack of longevity/malfunctioning after just a short period of time, whereas I've had mine for about 8 months with no issues whatsoever (knock on wood!). I also use their tube-style UVB Reptisun lights with no problems either, but again, I've talked to some who've had theirs burn out within a week of owning it.

If you want to try a different heat pad, I would recommend the ExoTerra UTHs. I have had a couple (over the many I've owned) malfunction on me, but both times all they did was stop putting out heat, or started putting out heat intermittently.

I use mostly ExoTerra products only because of availability (not too many ZooMed products are sold in the pet stores near me) but overall, with the exception of one or two of the cheaper bulbs, I haven't had any issues with their products either.

So...I'm not too helpful, sorry. But I definitely understand your frustration, and the fact that ZooMed was less than sympathetic to your plights and unwilling to replace more of your products is very disappointing for a company that prides itself on its reputation of making quality products.

Thanks

I only use Ultratherm under-tank heaters now(I get them from The Bean Farm), they've not caused me any problems, and zoo med heat pads have malfunctioned with disastrous results in the past. One of my friends was home and saw hers start sparking and catch fire. Imagine if she hadn't been home to unplug it and put the fire out! D:
    ~Rami | Nova Reptiles | iHerp | Facebook
    7.17.6.7 Crested geckos, 1.1 mix leachies, 1.1 Halmaheras, 1.1 African Fat Tails, 1.2 Tokays, 1.1 Oedura castelnaui, 2.1 Leopard geckos, 0.1 corn snake, & too many feeder bugs.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ihkura View Post
    I only use Ultratherm under-tank heaters now(I get them from The Bean Farm), they've not caused me any problems, and zoo med heat pads have malfunctioned with disastrous results in the past. One of my friends was home and saw hers start sparking and catch fire. Imagine if she hadn't been home to unplug it and put the fire out! D:
    WOW- that is really scary, I've always heard Zoo Med was a crapy brand, but that is scary. I have steered clear of them completely, and now I am happy I did. :/

Thanks

Several months ago I had an infrared ZooMed bulb on my Tokays' enclosure. It literally exploded and shattered into pieces. I called the Zoo Med customer service number on the box, and they asked for a picture of the "malfunctioned" bulb and such and sent me two new ones to replace it... They're still the box they were shipped in, in my closet... I don't want to risk that happening again! The representative said that humidity could have caused the bulb to burst spontaneously like it did, but I had never had issues with this happening before. I'm still a little hesitant of using Zoo Med's products now, particularly the bulbs. I would hate to think of what could happen if this occurred while no one was home and the bulb remained plugged in after bursting.
    Fallout Herpetology

Hognose, Carpets, Bloods, Balls, Geckos, and More...

Thanks

Thanks everyone for your input! I'm glad I'm not the only one that's had problems. Grr.
    Anyone else?
    Hi! I'm CarrieAnn

Thanks

A close friend of mine has also had a Zoo Med heat pad burn through a plastic tub and catch fire. They MUST be used with a thermostat of some type.
    "For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older and more complete than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."-Henry Beston

Thanks

Hmm, I've never had a problem with my Zoomed products! I've been using their ReptiSun UVB lights for my beardie for years, and the only time I had a problem is when a light I bought was missing a spot of the coating, but they replaced it for me. I use their UTHs and thermostat and it has worked well for me! All UTH should really be on a thermostat so that they don't over heat. I use their basking light for my beardie too.
    1.0. Shih Tzu: Chuey
    1.0.Dutch Rabbit: Smudge
    1.0 Bearded dragon: Dudley
    1.1 Leopard geckos: Stanley & Stella
    1.0 Crested Gecko: Dexter
    1.0 African clawed frog: Squishy... and 0.0.6 hermit crabs!

Thanks

I've been through half a dozen Power Sun's in the past 6-8 months. Same thing. Three have blown the same/next day - using an appropriate lamp, etc. They've always replaced them (returned the same/next day ones to the store I bought from) but I've given up.

Also had the latch on their terrariums break - they sent replacement parts for that. A really crappy design to say the least.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SynergyGeckos For This Useful Post:

Siphon (09-27-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SynergyGeckos View Post
    I've been through half a dozen Power Sun's in the past 6-8 months. Same thing.
    I'm so glad I'm not the only one. Thanks for sharing... Sorry it's happend to you too. It really makes me angry.
    Hi! I'm CarrieAnn