Thread: New little guy (pic included) just getting settled, but already starting to eat ;)...

Thanks

Default New little guy (pic included) just getting settled, but already starting to eat ;)...

I picked up this little guy at the Anaheim NRBC show last weekend. Though he/she was sold to me as the runt of the litter, he's active, and is taking food well (as well as can be expected while settling in). Seems to be eating Repashy a little bit at a time off a thin feeding stick, as well as wolfing down more than a couple small repti-worms dipped in Repashy I've hand offered via tongs. Never really bought the smallest sibling before, but his patterns were great, and he seemed healthy and active, even at his size.

Hoping I didn't make a wrong move buying "the little guy".. who knows, I might just get a female out of it
    Tong fed Repti-worms with Repashy seems like it would make a super nutritious trick to get him started, who knows, maybe he'll catch up to the competition one day

-j

Heres a pic of him in his new home, enjoy!...

Rhacodactylus Leachianus 0.0.1
    Rhacodactylus Chahoua 0.0.1

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 799 Posts

Cute chewie!

I wouldn't worry too much about him/her being a "runt". They grow at their own rates and you'll likely have a happy, healthy adult in a couple years.
    Specializing in Crested Geckos
    Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
    Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
    Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Thanks

I agree with Spyral......they grow at thier own rate/speed. This is actually very important since this allows them to maintain healthy levels of vitamins, calcium, good fats, ect... and be able to digest feeders and food regularly without complications. In other words, they keep themselves healthy and happy.
    Overfeeding can also cause strees and obesity (in the end) which are both not good. Also, just to follow up with a positive comment- geckos that grow slower than most seemed to always come out with great pattern in my experience, and at a cetain weight will "shoot up" and be just as big....even bigger sometimes....than the ones I have gotten at regular weights. Just my experience.

Thanks

Wow, excellent info guys, thanks so much

Very reassuring to hear from some folks in the know. He's a real sweetheart, and one hell of a little stalking machine.
    Though I'm not truely supplementing with insects just yet, it neat to watch him prowl.

While we're on the subject, some care sheets out there mention that this species may benefit from more insect supplementation than other Rhacs.
    I planned on being predominantly Repashy as per my Leachie, but have plenty of feeder bugs around to supplement more often if its benneficial for the little guy.
    Also, have any thoughts on Repti-worms as a live feeder for these guys? Their packed with nutrients, and everything I offer them to seems to go crazy over them.

Any and all thoughts on this stuff welcome and encouraged!

many thanks,

-jason

Thanks

Interestingly I just bought my scale today, and the weigh in states...

Chahoua = 4 grams
    Leachie = 15 grams

Contacting breeder for age verification.

-j

Thanks

Sorry double post, please remove this one if possible.

-j

Thanks

so, to touch on the "more feeder insects" thing- I would say the simple answer is YES, more feeder insects are good for a Chahoua's diet. not because Repashy isn't enough (because it is IN FACT the perfect suppliment even without any feeders), but rather because it is a Chahoua's natural instinct to hunt and prowl more than the other Rhac species. basically....its just in thier genes more.
    As far as repti-worms, if you can get your Chewy to love them and eat them, then i would say definately YES to feeding them the worms, in fact they are better for the geckos diet than crickets. In my experience, however, Chewys like the challenge of catching something fast moving, so most of what I have eat crickets (and CGD). Just what works for me......if I were you, I would experement with the worms and see if they work though.
    As far as breeding (since we are on worms), i always suppliment my female in separate holding tanks with a bowl of Calci-worms to help them recuperate from laying. just a little extra info for the future, but they DO work well, as long as they are eaten. i continue them for 2-3 weeks, then just go back to crickets. FYI- CGD in there constantly too. Hope this was good advice.

Thanks

Great info, thanks very much!
    Another interesting issue with care sheets seems to be that they are inconsistent as to how arboreal this species is.
    Should I be providing more ground surface area for this species? Or are they predominantly arboreal and more comfortable in a vertically oriented cage with branches to climb on?

Perhaps their behavior changes over their lifetime, my juvenile seems to enjoy stalking around both ground cover and his vertical cork slab, casing all the real estate I've given him so its hard to say what he prefers.

I'm very interested to hear what experience tells the other keepers out there on this, and how the design of their enclosures reflects or encourages these behaviors.

thanks,

-jason

Thanks

I would say (the simple answer is...) that they are 90% arboreal and 10% ground dwelling in my experience, with ground dwelling being associated with hunting at night and egg laying behavior. Most of mine get crickets up in thier foliage, rather than hunt on th ground. I keep all Chahoua pairs in at least an 18x18x24 and more than 2 in 24x18x24.

Thanks

As they have a fully prehensile tail, I would expect this species to be arboreal, even more-so then some of the other rhac species. These tails were designed to help them hold on
    GoodTimeReptiles
    C. ciliatus, M. chahoua, P. regius

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Tauni For This Useful Post:

hdavidf309 (09-25-2012)