Thread: Sunken eye? Help!

Thanks

Default Sunken eye? Help!

Help!!! Tonight when I brought Rhino out for a minute, I noticed his left eye didn't quite look right. Upon further examination, I found the eye looked almost as though it were pushed too far into the socket. He also kept pushing his eye down (sort of like when they bite down hard on a cricket), but only with that left eye. I had him out just a couple nights ago and the eye seemed ok then. Also, the end of his tail was a little kinked looking. Does anyone know what could have happened and, more importantly, what do I do to help him?
    Here are some pictures to try to show what's going on:

The left eye (see how sunken in the bottom looks?):

Right eye (for comparison as it seems to be fine):

Tail kink:

How he looked a couple nights ago:

Thank you VERY much in advance to anyone who knows what I can do to help my little guy get well. I'm terribly worried about him.

Thanks

It doesn't look that bad, probably just a bit dehydrated if anything.

Thanks

Oh ok. That's good to know. I'm glad you think it doesn't look serious. I increased the amount of misting he received this morning and will make sure to keep giving him a bit extra to see if that solves it. Thanks!!

Thanks

In addition to the extra misting (BTW I agree fully), i would put an extra calcium bol in the enclosure. The tail kink looks a bit threatening, and even though I do not believe it is BAD at this point, without proper supplimentation it can get worse fast.
    I am sure you know, but Chahoua require high levels of calcium in thier diet to produce, and IMO, a little more calcium in thier diet to actually live comfortably and stay healthy. This is just from personal experience of my own animals.
    As for cage mates, are there any? That may be a factor.
    Also, what is the sex and age.weight of the gecko? I know its like "what does that matter???"....but it does.
    Please get back to me on this, and how your Chewy is doing, ok?
    Beautiful animal BTW!

Thanks

Thanks. I think his colors have turned out just fantastic.

He just turned a year old a few weeks ago (that's counting from when he hatched, not when the egg was laid). I'm not certain of his weight. I'll need to check on that as he hasn't been weighed in some time. He doesn't have any cage mates so there isn't anyone who would pester him.

When you say I should leave calcium out, do you mean a small dish of the powder? He gets crickets that are dusted in calcium twice a week currently and he always has a bowl of CGD and water in his terrarium.

I increased the amount of misting he receives in the morning and evening and that seems to have taken care of his eye. It looks good again. Yay!

Thanks

Okay, so thats a good start that there are no cage mates pestering him, or even harrassing him (happens often with Chahoua BTW). At a year old, he should be coming into getting his true coloration, although it will get better with age....so that confirms that oits a very beautiful fellow!
    Anyway, yes.....I know it may seem like overkill, but leave a dish of calcium powder too (where you wont be misting as much). They will lick it up as they need it and its always good to have extra available. Won't hurt and I bet the tail gets straightened out in no time. This works with Bavayia species and Leopard geckos as well. Everything else sounds perfect!
    Anyway, the more misting at evening time (not late night), the better, as this is thier primary time to lick it up and stay hydrated. You probably knew that haha.
    I am super glad to hear about the eye, and let us know the status of that tail, ok? TTYL!