Thread: Hot glue on glass?

Thanks

Default Hot glue on glass?

I just recieved Quins "Big Girl" cage in the mail today. I want to use the log that she has had forever. But it needs to be up higher and the only way to do that is stick it to the back of the enclosure. It's a lightweight resin reptile piece. Can I hot glue it to the glass? Will it stay? I dont want the thing to come crashing down while she is in it, or worse yet while she is under it! Or should I just not do it all together?
    ~JEN~
    0.0.1 Rachodactylus Auriculatus "Gilligan"
    1.0.0 Very Spoiled Guinea Pig

Thanks

I would go with silicone, it can still be taken off in the future if you wish to (with a razor blade), but will be much more secure than hot glue. The only downside is that you won't want to put her in there for at least a week or until the smell is gone. I use hot glue in a lot of my crestie projects & love how easy it is to use, but in my experiences using it on the glass is that it does eventually come loose & I'm just using it for lightweight vines/leaves, so I would imagine that something with some actual weight will come loose a lot quicker.
    4.1 Dogs: Baringer, Riesling, Trunks, Tebow & Dante 1.0 Sulcata: Cavin 1.1 KSB: Mordecei & P.B. 2.2.6 Gargoyles: Venture, Triana, LSP, Nyx, 21 & 24 0.2 Leopard Geckos: Videl & Eclipse 1. 0AFT: Rigby 7.7.19 Cresties: Ghost, Drayven, Morzan, Jelly, Esme, Peach, Marcelene, Ino, Chi, Haven, Tsunade, Senju, Cinna, Tribute, Jiraya, Iruka, Kurama, Seelie, Kushina, Tada & Iyrony 1.0 Short Tailed Opossum: Daubie

Thanks

OK thats what I was afraid of. Thank you!
    ~JEN~
    0.0.1 Rachodactylus Auriculatus "Gilligan"
    1.0.0 Very Spoiled Guinea Pig

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Untaimed View Post
    I would go with silicone, it can still be taken off in the future if you wish to (with a razor blade), but will be much more secure than hot glue. The only downside is that you won't want to put her in there for at least a week or until the smell is gone. I use hot glue in a lot of my crestie projects & love how easy it is to use, but in my experiences using it on the glass is that it does eventually come loose & I'm just using it for lightweight vines/leaves, so I would imagine that something with some actual weight will come loose a lot quicker.
    I agree, I've tried using hot glue on just some lightweight feeder dishes in my crestie's tank, and it barely lasted a day before falling off. I don't know if it's the humidity or what, but I tried it a couple times with no success. Silicone would be much better. I've used aquarium-safe silicone in my garg's tank and it was advised on the packaging to wait 24 hours before exposing creatures to it, but I waited 48 hours just to be safe as the smell was still present after 24 hours. I don't know enough about regular non-toxic silicone to say, but I'd probably wait about a week as well just to be safe as that kind is not really designed with critters in mind.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cassicat4 For This Useful Post:

FaaFaa (09-12-2012)

Thanks

Can you attach earth magnets to the wood? They are VERY strong and can be removed. If you can use a carving knife to cut out a kind of notch maybe you could Silicone an earth magnet inside the notch..then put another magnet on the outside of the viv...do this on both ends of the branch and you should be good to go.
    MyRhacdiction

1.1.3 Cresties, 1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Leopard Gecko
    I want a Chewie and a Rubber Boa next)))))))
    Let's just say my house is a zoo)