Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Breeding question.....

Thanks

Yea, the best thing imo is to have a community tank of females in the large vivarium. Then breed them in separate tanks. Unless you want to find random hatchlings in the enclosure lol.

Thanks

Ok I too have natural setups and I'm not saying you have to do it this way but it worked for me: My female was being stubborn and wasn't using her lay box. She instead preferred to lay by the roots of my plants. So I broke down the tank to start fresh. I started off with a VERY thin layer of coconut fiber in the bottom of the tank and a laybox full of moist fluffy stuff for her to lay in. When she went to dig in the coconut fiber it didn't go deep enough for her preference so she laid her eggs in the laybox of course. Next I added a bit more coconut fiber (or whatever it is that you use). Add in some of the viney plants like the pothos and wandering jew. At this point the substrate is still not deep enough for her to want to lay in it so again she'll use the lay box. Each time she lays add another layer of substrate and eventually she will get to the point where she is more comfortable in the lay box anyway. Once this happens you can have the substrate as deep as you want with whatever plants you want. Make the changes subtle so that she stays comfortable in the environment.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gecko Girl View Post
    Ok I too have natural setups and I'm not saying you have to do it this way but it worked for me: My female was being stubborn and wasn't using her lay box. She instead preferred to lay by the roots of my plants. So I broke down the tank to start fresh. I started off with a VERY thin layer of coconut fiber in the bottom of the tank and a laybox full of moist fluffy stuff for her to lay in. When she went to dig in the coconut fiber it didn't go deep enough for her preference so she laid her eggs in the laybox of course. Next I added a bit more coconut fiber (or whatever it is that you use). Add in some of the viney plants like the pothos and wandering jew. At this point the substrate is still not deep enough for her to want to lay in it so again she'll use the lay box. Each time she lays add another layer of substrate and eventually she will get to the point where she is more comfortable in the lay box anyway. Once this happens you can have the substrate as deep as you want with whatever plants you want. Make the changes subtle so that she stays comfortable in the environment.
    Will they always find a soft spot to dig down and lay in? If I remove the moss that's in there the rest of the substrate will be firm.... What if I just leave one 8x10" area covered in moss and put a hide over it? Should that not attract the female to lay there vs the eco earth/soil mix?

Thanks

If it's not deep enough for her to lay in then she would most likely use the lay box as long as it's nice and deep. They can dig and tunnel underneath things though and often do if they can. I put my lay box as close to the bottom of the tank as possible, touching the glass and I never raised it when I raised the level of the dirt. I wanted to try and mimic a hidden rock crevice with dirt in it. To her it should feel like a safe spot to lay where nobody can get to (or so she thinks). If you have dirt underneath the moss or the laybox she might still be able to dig under it to get to the dirt. You might be able to put the laybox down on the glass of the tank and just put the moss around it without any dirt or a very very shallow layer of dirt. Let me know how it goes for you when the time comes

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gecko Girl View Post
    If it's not deep enough for her to lay in then she would most likely use the lay box as long as it's nice and deep. They can dig and tunnel underneath things though and often do if they can. I put my lay box as close to the bottom of the tank as possible, touching the glass and I never raised it when I raised the level of the dirt. I wanted to try and mimic a hidden rock crevice with dirt in it. To her it should feel like a safe spot to lay where nobody can get to (or so she thinks). If you have dirt underneath the moss or the laybox she might still be able to dig under it to get to the dirt. You might be able to put the laybox down on the glass of the tank and just put the moss around it without any dirt or a very very shallow layer of dirt. Let me know how it goes for you when the time comes
    Ill be sure to do that, it will definately be some time.... But its a goal.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 799 Posts

In my experience, they will find a place you don't expect them to lay when they live in a natural viv. Sometimes the eggs don't make it; sometimes they hatch and are never found (eaten by parents, most likely). I keep my natural setups for groups of unmated gals and put any breeders into tubs to better monitor for eggs.

Some people don't mind the natural route, but with the time, stress and energy invested by my breeders, I want to have as many hatched babies survive as possible.
    Specializing in Crested Geckos
    Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
    Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
    Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Thanks

Yes, I do agree with you there Spyral. There is no guarantee that she will always lay in the laybox if she does decide to change her mind. I just keep a very close eye on them and their cycle so I know if they laid any eggs. I keep a spreadsheet record for all my gals that tells me when I should be expecting and also just by the looks of the females and their behavior I can usually tell. I always collect the eggs the next morning. If you aren't able to keep a close eye on them then the tubs might be a better option. This method works for me (for now at least) but I'm a stay at home mom so keeping a close watch isn't too difficult for me.